UKBouldering.com

Eating out in York. (Read 2517 times)

luckyjez

• addict
Eating out in York.
February 03, 2015, 04:26:44 pm
I'm spending the weekend in York in a couple of week's time with my wife and 6 year old lad. Any recommendations for good places to eat? Any recommendations welcome as long as they have vegetarian and fish options, although Indian is best avoided as he has a nut allergy. Cheers.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1 Re: Eating out in York.
February 03, 2015, 08:48:59 pm
I can't recommend anything other than the usual family stuff as we only go to York for a day trip but by far the best of the chain places is Zizzi which is pretty close to the Railway Museum and just over the road from the York Museum.  Pizza Express which is around the corner seems to be run to retards who can't run a pissup in a brewery.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#2 Re: Eating out in York.
February 03, 2015, 09:01:40 pm
Not eaten at either place myself, but House of Trembling Madness is well regarded for gastro pub stuff (I can attest to the beer choice - there's a great bottle shop next door too).  Meltons gets lots of plaudits for posh stuff.

andy popp

• forum hero
#3 Re: Eating out in York.
February 03, 2015, 09:03:45 pm
Colleagues at the university seem to favour the Walmgate Ale House and Bistro (http://www.walmgateale.co.uk) sister venue to Melton's. I've been taken there a couple of times and always enjoyed it - I've never had to pay though and don't know what prices are like. Seems very relaxed though, should imagine they'd be fine with children etc.

Oh, and hello Jez!

Edit: just seen Moose has posted, Walmgate is Melton's less posh outpost. I don't think you'd go far wrong there.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4 Re: Eating out in York.
February 03, 2015, 10:20:27 pm
Oscar's was always excellent value, good -family- atmosphere, massive portions. I went back a few months ago, think it's changed hands, but just the same. Only I can't remember the new name. It's in a little courtyard ..think it's the Stonegate Yard and Brasserie. Good for lunch.

Evil Eye is good for cocktails. You can lie on the sofa-bed snug things and drink comfortably - studenty/bohemian stylee.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal