UKBouldering.com

Skem and the climbing hangar (Read 5878 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Skem and the climbing hangar
February 02, 2015, 10:53:27 pm
At the end of this week I change which Client I'm working for and that means until the new office opens (or I buy a house) its hotel life for Nat and I, somewhere near Skelmersdale (lucky us).

The Climbing Hangar looks like the nearest wall, will getting between the two at rush hour be a nightmare?
How are the training facilities?
As we'll be eating out every night ( :popcorn: ) does the place have a cafe that'd suffice for pre/post training nutrition?

I've had a look at the website and it looks 'ok'...

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#1 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 02, 2015, 11:07:18 pm
It's pretty well set out. I imagine the commute would be fast from that direction too.

Good circuits at all grades around the centre , then there's plenty of campus rungs/fingerboards/bars/rings/steep board/less steep boards to train on.

There has been a cafe put in since I moved to Wales, but they did used to have a few different pre-cooked meals in the freezer. Not sure what times they operate the new cafe, so I'd give them a bell.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 03, 2015, 12:29:16 am
The climbing hangar is a great wall with some really nice angles and generally great setting. I reckon it'll be about 45 minutes at rush hour depending on how bad switch island is (keep an ear to the local radio as it can be terrible some evenings). Another couple of options that will be a similar travel time (half an hour without traffic) for a change of scene are west view at Preston that has a steep comp style wall generally set by Ian Vickers, or be boulder in Widnes that whilst small has some really well set problems by Alex fry.

andy popp

• forum hero
#3 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 03, 2015, 04:47:54 am
I don't know much about these things but the Hangar seems great to me. Despite living in Widnes I haven't been to Be Boulder yet. If you wanted a change you'd be welcome to use my board, just a few minutes from Jnc 7 of the M62. It is at least free.

andy popp

• forum hero
#4 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 03, 2015, 06:42:35 am
As would anyone else in fact, a little training psyche wouldn't go amiss.

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
#5 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 04, 2015, 02:30:33 pm
Hi Andy would it be possible to take you up on your kind offer of a session on your board sometime??? I'm in Chester a couple of days a week, I know Pete Chadwick etc from back in the day!
Thanks

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 04, 2015, 05:15:26 pm
As would anyone else in fact, a little training psyche wouldn't go amiss.

Thanks for the offer.

I think I'll avoid the options closer to the Blackburn region mainly as I'll soon be there for what might be a long time!

I can't say I'm looking forward to having to eat out Mon-Thurs.

(ps - it's quite amusing to see all the lurkers pop up elsewhere (helpfully I might add) on these Lancs type threads).

andy popp

• forum hero
#7 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 05, 2015, 08:11:08 am
Hi Andy would it be possible to take you up on your kind offer of a session on your board sometime??? I'm in Chester a couple of days a week, I know Pete Chadwick etc from back in the day!
Thanks

Of course Dave, Mpn - Wed next week any good? I'm out Thurs and away Fri. I'm around the week after too.

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
#8 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 05, 2015, 11:18:45 am
Hi Andy would the week after next be ok? Thurs 19th ? Thanks

andy popp

• forum hero
#9 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 05, 2015, 11:44:05 am
Bugger, I've just committed to going out that night!

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
#10 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 05, 2015, 12:52:16 pm
no problem Andy. Are you around the week after? I can pm you the end of next week if you don't know your schedule. thanks again

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#11 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 06, 2015, 08:35:35 am
re The Hangar, setting really seems to have picked up with the last couple of sets and the last set of comp problems are pretty good too... Forgot to ask about the food situation for you Paul. Worth giving them a ring?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#12 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 06, 2015, 09:24:14 am
Paul, you'll enjoy the Liverpool scene. As with most other walls across the nation, Tuesday and Thursday are most commonly frequented by the keenos (or 'lids' as you'll soon come to learn). I'm not climbing at the moment whilst I try to correct a few niggles but drop me a line when you land in town and I'll head down to say hey.

Paul B

• forum hero
#13 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 06, 2015, 12:11:53 pm
I'm not climbing at the moment whilst I try to correct a few niggles but drop me a line when you land in town and I'll head down to say hey.

Or another establishment?  :icon_beerchug:

Peewee suggested the Egg Cafe and somewhere else to eat that I've now forgotten.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#14 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 06, 2015, 10:23:09 pm
The egg is a bit shit although they do a nice veggie breakfast.

Deli fonseca on the dock road is very good near to Brunswick Dock.

hstmoore

• player
#15 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 06, 2015, 10:37:08 pm
The egg is a bit shit

agreed. Kimos is good for Moroccan-y food, especially if you want veggie - there's a largish restaurant at the bottom of Mt Pleasant and a smaller one near the Uni Of' Campus. Reasonably priced: £2.50 for a big falafel pita bread with hummus chili sauce and salad. bomber.

andy popp

• forum hero
#16 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 06, 2015, 10:52:23 pm
More agreement. There are a ton of great places to eat - and drink - in Liverpool right now, Egg not being one of them. If you want to come to the board I might even cook.

Paul B

• forum hero
#17 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 18, 2015, 10:27:10 am
So we visited the Hangar for the first time last night (the first time back climbing since ~10 days off) and TBH I was pretty impressed.

I've never been to a wall that uses Ipads to register - what a great idea. Anyone who has done data entry into ClimbTime will agree I'm sure.
Setting - seemed really good. No shortage of holds (especially footers) on easier problems. A decent grade spread. I enjoyed playing on the comp circuit even if I'm sh*t at that kind of climbing.
Training - This looked really quite good although I'm a bit nervous coming back from a bit of a rest.
Steepness - For Nat, having lots of lower grade steep stuff is a bonus.

My only complaint is/was the heat. It was a like a(n insulated) furnace in there and putting the fingerboards near a wall mounted heater is simply criminal! It'll have to be short shorts from now on.

It was quite noticeable (compared to Sheffield) that the average age seemed much lower than I'd have expected and there was a much more even gender distribution. Everyone was also really friendly and I'm a right miserable git too...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#18 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 18, 2015, 12:30:06 pm

My only complaint is/was the heat. It was a like a(n insulated) furnace in there and putting the fingerboards near a wall mounted heater is simply criminal! It'll have to be short shorts from now on.

I still fail to see why walls heat the climbing areas - fair enough stick a heater in the caff but if I'm cold climbing, I'll stick a jumper on until I'm warm!

It was quite noticeable (compared to Sheffield)...Everyone was...really friendly...

Yeah - I noticed that when I left Sheffield too!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:44:43 pm by tommytwotone »

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 18, 2015, 12:31:53 pm
heat = less injuries...

Paul B

• forum hero
#20 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 18, 2015, 12:40:30 pm
heat = less injuries...

Tom, this was hotter than the surface of the sun. I felt like breaking into some 'Hot' Yoga poses ( :shit: mental image for you all there ).

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#21 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar
February 18, 2015, 12:42:05 pm
Everyone was also really friendly

Welcome to Liverpool  :)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#22 Re: Skem and the climbing hangar