UKBouldering.com

Help ASAP - Slipstones road conditions?! (Read 2227 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Help ASAP - Slipstones road conditions?!
December 12, 2014, 02:05:38 pm
Trying to get a trip down to the Slippys tomorrow. Just spoke to the Bivouac Bunkbarn which is approx 2 miles due south of Healey and the lady warned me that although Masham was fine, the barn was only really accessible with a 4WD due to snowy and icy roads. Given that Slippys approach road is on the same 200-250m contour and the forecast overnight is dropping to -1'C, does anyone know the approach road will be, well, approachable?? It would be a long way to go to spend a few hours trying to turn the car around on an ice rink at that hairpin bend  >:(

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: Help ASAP - Slipstones road conditions?!
December 12, 2014, 06:46:06 pm
We cleared the hairpin bend of ice today after I had three attempts at getting around. Other than that it's fine. Note my tyres are being replaced next week and are shit, other members of our party had no bother at all.

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Help ASAP - Slipstones road conditions?!
December 12, 2014, 08:32:31 pm
It's probably worth packing a small shovel implement just in case you need to top up the grit on the road at the switchbacks. The handfuls of grit that I threw on the road melted the ice in about ten minutes, so even if it does snow again tonight it shouldn't take you long to clear the road if you get stuck.

JonB

• regular
#3 Re: Help ASAP - Slipstones road conditions?!
December 12, 2014, 09:04:53 pm
Sorry if this is dickish since I can't really contribute to your road question, but if you make it there, would you mind having a brief look for the chalk bucket I lost there the other weekend if you're down the far end? (quote from my topic in L&F)

Fairly sure I left my chalk bag at Slipstones, very possibly tucked behind the block under Self Suicide (roof to the right of Impregnable etc.) Black Moon bucket, with some tape and a pink lapis brush in it. If anyone comes across it, I'd be happy to pay postage & a pint for it back, cheers,

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Help ASAP - Slipstones road conditions?!
December 13, 2014, 10:25:55 pm
Cheers guys, bend was fine, conditions were great, skin was sore and very small numbers were ticked. Didn't see a chalk bucket but then again wasn't looking!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal