UKBouldering.com

Life insurance for climbers (Read 5587 times)

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
Life insurance for climbers
December 05, 2014, 03:55:36 pm
My broker is having problems getting me life insurance because I climb. Lots of companies are willing to take this on as long as, get this, I only climb at a UK grade of severe or below.

My thoughts...
1-Aren't insurance companies supposed to do their homework? If so, where have they got the statistic that I'm more likely to die if I climb at a greater grade than this? Is this information available?

2-Why haven't they asked if I commute to work on a push bike?

I'm tempted to sack it off and say I don't climb so won't be insured. I'm not worth much (financially) anyway. My family would manage in this respect. Any thoughts/tips/experience in this manner?

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#1 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 05, 2014, 04:00:59 pm
I've got mine through the BMC. Before, I was paying double the premiums I'm paying now, with no cover if I die climbing (yes you read that right...).
BMC insurer clearly understands the risk and very reasonable quote. Can't remember who underwrites it...

I'm worth millions, so it matters a lot to Mrs Ginns and the Ginnsinos
 :)

edit: be careful about lying to insurers, you'll be put on a register and disallowed in the future. Also, it's not whether you die or not, but whether you end up eating through a straw that you will want cover for... (caveat: I'm not an insurance expert)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#2 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 05, 2014, 04:05:20 pm
I can't remember who mine was with before it was arraned via work but I seem to recall it wasn't an issue unless it was either, Alpine or guided.

It could have been Hiscox?

Have you tried going direct to Market?

Sloper

• forum hero
#3 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 05, 2014, 04:10:14 pm
I've got mine through the BMC. Before, I was paying double the premiums I'm paying now, with no cover if I die climbing (yes you read that right...).
BMC insurer clearly understands the risk and very reasonable quote. Can't remember who underwrites it...

I'm worth millions, so it matters a lot to Mrs Ginns and the Ginnsinos
 :)

edit: be careful about lying to insurers, you'll be put on a register and disallowed in the future. Also, it's not whether you die or not, but whether you end up eating through a straw that you will want cover for... (caveat: I'm not an insurance expert)

Yes absolutely a timely reminder, being dishonest in your proposal could lead to the avoidance of the whole claim even if you don't die / suffer life changing injuries while climbing.  I recently dealt with a case of 'fronting' for car insurance where our client's car has parked up outside his house and someone crashed into it on a push bike when pissed, even though he was fully comp his insurers refused to pay as the car was purportedly at his parents house 200 miles away.

Result a. insurance policy voided, b. having to pay for repairs c. potentially unable to get insurance.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#4 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 05, 2014, 04:16:18 pm
will they not give you insurance where death from climbing is excluded?

I was once turned down for cover because I had spent more than a certain number of days of my life doing alpine routes

some income protection schemes are less dumb about sports/activities stuff and death is seen by some as a good reason to be unable to work - less of a sum than the usual life cover, but better than nowt - some exclude death, but you'd be covered for time off due to terminal illness

LV had some fairly accessable schemes when I looked last year

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#5 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 05, 2014, 04:51:19 pm
Another vote for BMC, we shopped around and almost all others are numptys about bouldering etc. Can't remember the guys name but he was very good to deal with. Not pushy at all, just helpful.
http://www.summit-fs.co.uk/

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#6 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 05, 2014, 04:55:20 pm
Another vote for BMC, we shopped around and almost all others are numptys about bouldering etc. Can't remember the guys name but he was very good to deal with. Not pushy at all, just helpful.
http://www.summit-fs.co.uk/
I've just looked up the details from when I took my insurance out with Summit. Underwriters are aviva (no idea if that makes any difference), and I dealt with a guy called Simon Reid, likewise, not salesy or pushy just knowledgeable.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 05, 2014, 05:07:36 pm
I think you should call then the Ginnstones ;)

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#8 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 05, 2014, 05:11:27 pm
I think you should call then the Ginnstones ;)
:goodidea: ;D

erm, sam

• forum hero
#9 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 05, 2014, 05:14:03 pm
I have life insurance that specifically excludes death by climbing, but I'm not really bothered as I'm much more likely to die doing just about anything other than climbing.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#10 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 05, 2014, 05:28:24 pm
What about life assurance?

Evil

• addict
#11 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 05, 2014, 05:46:04 pm
Our mortgage broker arranged insurance through Friends Life (their preferred insurance company). They asked about climbing, and as we said yes, had to confirm if we would climb above Severe or French grade 4+ ::). They also wanted to know the height in metres that we would climb to (despite saying no alpine climbing/mountaineering as we are warm climate sport/bouldering punters only). Although these were bizarre questions, they didn't seem to have a problem agreeing the insurance, and were cheaper by quite a bit than Summit etc.

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 05, 2014, 06:33:21 pm
The BMC haven't responded to our request for a quote but maybe that's due to entering "life" into the any other dangerous past times field?

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#13 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 06, 2014, 06:54:34 pm
I have a policy with Aviva taken out through Sportsfinancial.co.uk, which covers me for climbing. Prices are pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sloper

• forum hero
#14 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 06, 2014, 06:57:21 pm
I'm tempted to sack it off and say I don't climb so won't be insured. I'm not worth much (financially) anyway. My family would manage in this respect. Any thoughts/tips/experience in this manner?

Rationally, only people with low savings should buy life insurance. Anyone who will leave significant assets on their death should not bother.

Same applies to all insurance. Only insure risks you can't afford.

Yes, but people are notoriously irrational. 

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#15 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 06, 2014, 07:02:53 pm
What about life assurance?

no, I want a policy that will give me my life back if I fuck up

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#16 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 06, 2014, 07:16:58 pm

Rationally, only people with low savings should buy life insurance. Anyone who will leave significant assets on their death should not bother.

Same applies to all insurance. Only insure risks you can't afford.
The wife seems to think that it'd be nice to have the house paid off if I popped off.

Thanks for all the replies. I think the 'excluding climbing' bit will be best and hope that's not the way I'll go.

I'm much more likely to die doing just about anything other than climbing.
Kinky or have you got a dodgy ticker?

Tommy

• junky
#17 Re: Life insurance for climbers
December 06, 2014, 08:30:14 pm
Andy, it's possible to get. You just have to look around.

I have life insurance and it covers me for all types of climbing as a "professional" and I'm still covered if soloing and whatever grade. I did have to spend quite a lot of time talking it through with them though!

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
#18 Re: Life insurance for climbers
October 19, 2022, 04:27:33 pm
Can I resurrect this thread to ask if anyone has had recent luck with getting life insurance? I’m trying to get cover and my quote went from £26 a month for me and my non climbing wife to over £70 just for putting rock climbing without much other stipulation but excluding mountaineering and soloing. This was AIG. Has anyone had any joy with a sensible company?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal