UKBouldering.com

Sydney Sandstone (Read 4559 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Sydney Sandstone
July 21, 2004, 01:42:33 pm
The suburbs of Sydney hide a multitude of sandstone  bouldering venues. Although not worth a trip to Oz for in their own right there are some top problems and if you are visiting the area it's worth considering a detour. The rock quality is variable with some areas such a Sissy having smoothish super hard sandstone and other areas having rougher softer stuff. Although areas such as the Fear Factory and Lindfield have a wealth of vertical and slabby stuff the best quality stuff tends to be on the steep side and super overhanging caves with flat sandy landings are a speciality. There is a good bouldering guide covering most of the areas. The grades especially above V7 are generally pretty soft. If you like it steep the best areas are Sissy, the Villas, Crumbly and the Wing cave. There is a pretty keen and friendly bouldering scene in Sydney and a couple of bouldering websites run by Sydney folk www.vi-bouldering.com and www.australianbouldering.com

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Sydney Sandstone
July 21, 2004, 01:58:00 pm
It is indeed good. I was not 3 hours off the plane before I hit Lindfield. Quite surral leaving the shite weather of Brizzle and arriving in the leafy 'burbs of Sydney, sunny and cockatoos in the trees. Lindfield reminded me of shipley glenn. Balkans are good too.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#2 Sydney Sandstone
July 21, 2004, 03:18:41 pm
Quote from: "SA Chris"
Balkans are good too.

i think frontline was by far the best place i visited.

a few pictures from here and there round Sydney way........

Sissy Crag (over rated spot.............)

Palm Beach (a.k.a Summer Bay)

A couple from Pearl Bay:

and one from the Fear Factory

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#3 Sydney Sandstone
July 21, 2004, 04:33:06 pm
Niiiice. Soon to be my new home.   :D  :8)

screwyouI'mfromderby

• regular
#4 Sydney Sandstone
July 30, 2004, 08:10:44 am
just got back from the Frontline at the Balkhams, and it was amazing. There were even problems that felt like proper gritstone.

Skin was left behind and blood was shed and it was a shame to leave it all behind. Can't recommend enough visiting Mountain Designs on Kent St for the guide book or whatever you need, and if you do go, speak to Simon (from Stoke) and you might get a pleasant surprise trip out to somewhere like this.

Sydney? Almost as good as Derby!

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#5 Sydney Sandstone
July 30, 2004, 09:29:49 am
Quote from: "screwyouI'mfromderby"
Sydney? Almost as good as Derby!

High praise indeed.................

Pom

#6 Sydney Sandstone
July 31, 2004, 10:33:15 am
Quote from: "screwyouI'mfromderby"
Can't recommend enough visiting Mountain Designs on Kent St for the guide book or whatever you need, and if you do go, speak to Simon (from Stoke)

Glad you liked the quick trip "Derby". :D  Pity you recommended everyone to visit the competition! Surely it was not that bad?  :(
Mountain Equipment, Kent Street is actually the place to go... for everything from chalk to shoes, crash pads, guides, advice (from staff who boulder) and maybe even a quick tour. The other guys are OK if all you want is a fleece or trainers.

Look forward to seeing y'all. I'll post some photos when I work out how...

Simon

screwyouI'mfromderby

• regular
#7 Sydney Sandstone
August 03, 2004, 10:35:46 am
that's bad I know. It's not like I wasn't paying attention, but .... I just wasn't paying enough attention.

Yeah, like the man says, check out Mountain Equipment on Kent St. They're the best down there and it's dead easy to find, it starts with 'Mountain' and ends with you describing slopers to the locals and moaning about how hot it is!!

Seriously, I had a great day and without the help of Simon it wouldn't have been half as good. I'll poke my head in the shop next time I'm in town, any beta for the Blue Mountains? It's wet at the moment but as normal I'm keen as mustard.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal