UKBouldering.com

Puncture foam cannister things (Read 2392 times)

Fadanoid

• addict
Puncture foam cannister things
September 15, 2014, 03:33:26 pm
Can anyone recommend one of these foam repair canister things?
I got a flat tyre in the woods last night, around 10pm and it was a complete arse to change the tube. I can't help thinking that there may be the odd time like last night where simply filling the tyre with some foam product and going straight home may be easier.

presta valve if that makes a difference to any recommendations?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1 Re: Puncture foam cannister things
September 15, 2014, 10:21:18 pm
Don't know any modern tech... Never heard of this... AFAIK you run tubeless.. And have a chance of the existing sealant plugging the hole... Or run tubes.. That u can ( not oft done these days) have something like "slime" poured in... When u fit the inner tube. Which weighs a ton for rotational mass.. And is frankly.. A bit shit.. or just carry a spare tube??

Palomides

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Puncture foam cannister things
September 16, 2014, 08:47:34 am
You mean like this stuff (not my pic)?

I've seen a fair few people with these fixed to their seatpost at XC races. I'm not sure how well it'd work for sealing up MTB innertubes, I think it's mostly recommended for road use with inner tubes or MTB use for tubeless/UST.

I thought about getting a can for racing last year but I quickly realised that I'll never be near enough the front to be bothered about a few extra seconds putting a tube in if my existing tubeless setup doesn't seal, and 7€ a shot for something that is pretty big and might not work seems a bit excessive.

If you're getting a lot of thorn punctures then going tubeless (with sealant) is the best way to go. Some people find it a faff to set up, but for me it's been worth it.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#3 Re: Puncture foam cannister things
September 16, 2014, 08:51:38 am
I've only used this on a car and it doesn't work, I say I used it I didn't I stood there pissing my sides since foam went everywhere except into the tyre. Couldn't get it to work at all

Fadanoid

• addict
#4 Re: Puncture foam cannister things
September 16, 2014, 11:13:26 am
You mean like this stuff (not my pic)?

I've seen a fair few people with these fixed to their seatpost at XC races. I'm not sure how well it'd work for sealing up MTB innertubes, I think it's mostly recommended for road use with inner tubes or MTB use for tubeless/UST.

I thought about getting a can for racing last year but I quickly realised that I'll never be near enough the front to be bothered about a few extra seconds putting a tube in if my existing tubeless setup doesn't seal, and 7€ a shot for something that is pretty big and might not work seems a bit excessive.

If you're getting a lot of thorn punctures then going tubeless (with sealant) is the best way to go. Some people find it a faff to set up, but for me it's been worth it.

Yes that the sort of stuff.
I normally just carry 2 spare tubes with me in the rucksack (belt and braces) but as winter is coming, I think standing round in the cold and dark with the monsters for 15 mins changing tube Vs a quick squirt of something to get me to Home/office (where i can do a proper repair) is quite appealing.

Only grief I envisage is getting one that doesn't work well with the presta valve.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Puncture foam cannister things
September 16, 2014, 11:32:51 am
Only grief I envisage is getting one that doesn't work well with the presta valve.

From Palomides' pic it looks like it has an adaptor? Otherwise I don't see why Presta would be any worse.

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Puncture foam cannister things
September 18, 2014, 11:49:56 am
they had some of this in either lidol or aldi for 2 or 3 quid. ive had a can for a while but not had need to use it yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal