UKBouldering.com

[Peak][Various lime, grit and Churnet][various up to 7C+/8A] (Read 30524 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
Don’t think it has been mentioned on UKB yet that Tom Newman climbed a right hand finish to Mirf’s Roof and called it Burly McMirfy. Tom gave it 8A+ and it looks every bit of that on his vid of it, but Ned found an alternative sequence which dropped it to 7C+/8A. Why the split grade – Ned tends to shrug when I ask about grades, but it’s probably harder than Witness the Churnetness, but that is probably overgraded at 8A. The new climbing can be done from a kneeling start at the good lip holds of Mirf’s at 7B+ and has a great Master Kush style helicopter move.

Beta:

El Mocho

• forum abuser
Mirf’s Roof

Ned climbed the right hand of the two mantel project noted in the script for this Churnet venue it’s called Journey to the Centre of the Mirf. It took him a fair few goes and he’s not shit at mantels, but it was boiling and it’s on very slopey slopers, so the grade could be anything. 7B+ would seem a reasonable random guess for the time being, but it could be anything from 7B to 7C+.

Was down here today. Due to not reading this post/guide properly I thought Journey to the... was the line marked in the guide as a project (couldn't remember the name at the time) and was going to be a 7B and the one to the right was some thing done ages ago, anyhow, I did the left hand mantle which felt about 7B but from reading this post again it looks like this may in fact be new? I then did Journey... which felt closer to the proposed 7B+ than 7C+. Also linked the Mirf's Roof start into Journey. Felt a fair bit harder than the stand version but not outrageous, it was very warm though (I was so hot I ended up climbing it in just my pink underpants, luckily only Klem was with me and he has shit eyesight so will be ok I think) Guess I would go with 7C+ but it could be easier or harder who knows - I couldn't even do the moves on the near by The Unicorn which is 7B so maybe everything on the Witness block should be 7A+. Haven't got a name yet for either, if in fact they are new.

Three Nine

• forum hero
Mirf’s Roof

Ned climbed the right hand of the two mantel project noted in the script for this Churnet venue it’s called Journey to the Centre of the Mirf. It took him a fair few goes and he’s not shit at mantels, but it was boiling and it’s on very slopey slopers, so the grade could be anything. 7B+ would seem a reasonable random guess for the time being, but it could be anything from 7B to 7C+.

Was down here today. Due to not reading this post/guide properly I thought Journey to the... was the line marked in the guide as a project (couldn't remember the name at the time) and was going to be a 7B and the one to the right was some thing done ages ago, anyhow, I did the left hand mantle which felt about 7B but from reading this post again it looks like this may in fact be new? I then did Journey... which felt closer to the proposed 7B+ than 7C+. Also linked the Mirf's Roof start into Journey. Felt a fair bit harder than the stand version but not outrageous, it was very warm though (I was so hot I ended up climbing it in just my pink underpants, luckily only Klem was with me and he has shit eyesight so will be ok I think) Guess I would go with 7C+ but it could be easier or harder who knows - I couldn't even do the moves on the near by The Unicorn which is 7B so maybe everything on the Witness block should be 7A+. Haven't got a name yet for either, if in fact they are new.

Good to hear that about the Unicorn. The 6C+ stand took me nearly an hour, and I couldnt really touch the sit

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
He's back on the scene and downgrading mantels already. Welcome back. The lh one was done by Ned a couple of months back, 7b was mentioned. Think I wrote this up in one of the later posts in my most recent update thread.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
No mention of the flash of Witness BB? So modest. Six months skiing is clearly great stamina training for roofs.

tomtom

• forum hero
Here's the Sheep Shifter vid (or will be once vimeo's done processing). Shame I couldn't find anywhere to plonk the camera which showed the steepness, ee well. Had another play on the possible lefthand variant last night too, the top bit is easy (get the big sidepull/undercut off the crimp then span right into the finish of the normal) but I couldn't do the moves to get there, getting the crimp after the slot with your right seemed pretty hard. Might turn out to be worthwhile if it doesn't climb too close to the blocks on the left, but will be harder than the original I think.

A bump for some sheep shifter advice.. thinking of heading there later on this week to have a play - but wondered which way it faced? E.G. was it in the shade or sun - and at what time of day etc.. No point in racking up in the morning if its frying in the sun etc..
Cheers,
TT

T_B

• forum hero
South ish
I could imagine it catching the morning sun, though it's pretty steep and in a steep sided valley  :-\

tomtom

• forum hero
Cloudy day best then.. thanks. Might go and have an inspection anyway...

dave

The valley is narrow enough and the problem steep enough that I bet it doesn't get any direct sunlight at any time at the minute.

tomtom

• forum hero
Went today with Dolly and Plattsy.

For info - it's in the sun in the AM and dipped into shade behind the trees about 12:30 ish.

Fuck its nails! None of us could do the first (proper) move (rh pinch, lh throw from porthole to drilled slot.. 

None of us could do the 7A+ to the right either - though it wasn't quite clear where that went and a couple of small lumps of the arête came off... not affecting anything except confidence....

dave

Tom I think if I remember right I might have done it using a pinchy hold just below the slot because I was struggling either to get the slot or use it once i'd got it, I forget which.

tomtom

• forum hero
A quite wide pinch? (Stop sn**gering Dolly and Plattsy..)

mark20

• junky
The whole thing feels utterly desperate but it gradually comes together once you get it sussed and give it some beans. Some manage to get a dropknee for that move to slot, I couldn't get it work so did a very low percentage deadpoint.

The one to the right is very much a filler in, but a useful warmup, I don't know if this vid is any use

James finished up into the top hold of Sheep Shifter from here which makes more sense.

dave

A quite wide pinch? (Stop sn**gering Dolly and Plattsy..)

Yeah that rings a bell.

Scouse D

• forum hero
Same sentiment as mark. Feels nails until you get a sequence then just need to try hard. Finding a sequence which works was the crux.

tomtom

• forum hero
Cheers y'all. We did the bottom bit completely different on the vid - and went along he edge of the arête rather than around it near the top. Feel beasted now though!!

I tried bonjoys deep drop knee but I don't think it helped me with my spindly legs... slapped near the slot a couple of times so direct is probably the best way.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Have done it with and without slot, seemed much the same difficulty-wise. So I guess the pinch way is easier if you don't like deep egyptians.
Re that slot. I know it looks drill but I can't be. When I cleaned the line it was partly blocked with a calcite crystal, which obviously took millennia to form. The rock is fossil rich reef limestone, so a crystal filled void is most likely to be the body cavity of a brachiopod. Sounds weak, but it's the truth, honest.

tomtom

• forum hero
Have done it with and without slot, seemed much the same difficulty-wise. So I guess the pinch way is easier if you don't like deep egyptians.
Re that slot. I know it looks drill but I can't be. When I cleaned the line it was partly blocked with a calcite crystal, which obviously took millennia to form. The rock is fossil rich reef limestone, so a crystal filled void is most likely to be the body cavity of a brachiopod. Sounds weak, but it's the truth, honest.

Theres a good few other drill marks on that bit of rock - so I wouldn't be too surprised if it was or indeed wasnt..
It does remind me of a certain hold on rockatrocity :)

(not saying its you of course! just some early mining/quarrying etc..)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Yes have seen other holes, one has a nail in it. Just can,t see how a discrete 2 inch cavity can grow a half inch crystal in the geologically miniscule perio since drills were invented :shrug:.

tomtom

• forum hero
Yes have seen other holes, one has a nail in it. Just can,t see how a discrete 2 inch cavity can grow a half inch crystal in the geologically miniscule perio since drills were invented :shrug:.

:) point taken

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal