• junky
Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 11:24:42 am
Never been, is it any good?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 11:39:48 am
...put it this way, if the whole of gritstone is closed due to foot-and-mouth, and only two urban crags remain open, its the second best :wink:

worth a visit if you live in halifax.

squeek

• junky
#2 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 12:02:03 pm
:lol:  seen as I'd have to drive past Bridestones or through the Widdop valley, I'll exhaust those first.

webbo

• forum hero
#3 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 12:11:48 pm
if your in to sit start overhangs its well worth a visit its main down side is the local yoofs lobbing bottles over the edge of the crag

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#4 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 12:17:39 pm
Generally, no.

But it does have one of the best V10 problems on the grit....so that makes it worth a pop-in. It'll only take five minutes, after all..

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#5 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 01:49:31 pm
Blah. Worth going for the convenience and it's sheltered nature maybe, rather than any real quality - it ain't Shipley  :wink:  Although a bit less convenient since the stupid cunts in the council split the road in half (WHY?? You fucking knobbers!!).

The mid grade routes are quite pleasant lol.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#6 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 01:52:54 pm
Piton Crack is bo to the power 10

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#7 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 01:59:17 pm
Quote from: "Fiend"
Although a bit less convenient since the stupid cunts in the council split the road in half (WHY?? You fucking knobbers!!).

This was done to stop the boy-racers that were apparently racing up and down the road in the middle of the night.

In defence of woodhouse scar , its not the nicest place to go, but there are some good problems and its only a 10 second walk in

Mike_H

• menacing presence
#8 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 02:23:46 pm
Squeek, if you want a guided tour. Give me a shout, it is 2 minutes from my house.

Just to echo everyone elses comments, it is a bit of a shit hole. But if you can see past the aesthetics there is some good climbing to be had.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#9 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 02:37:52 pm
This was done to stop the boy-racers that were apparently racing up and down the road in the middle of the night.

Hmmmmmm okay I guess that's a fair reason. Even so, why not have some serious speedbumps or a couple of speed cameras??

I just get so fed up with the Sheffield council ruining every fucking road down here that it sours me to anywhere it happens elsewhere, too...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#10 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 02:44:18 pm
I'd much rather they split the road in two than have speed bumps - the way most councils are going, your going to need to have a big 4x4 just to get around the all-terrain roads they are building. Also when they put in speed bumbs, there's no exact SCIENCE involved, they just dig a hole and dump some tarmac in it, varying sizes all round

Mike_H

• menacing presence
#11 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 03:50:33 pm
Not SCIENCE again. I'm going to have to get some of that, it gets everywhere nowadays.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#12 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 04:46:28 pm
Definitely worth a visit - if only to solo Clingen (E2 roof) and do the awesome Piton Crack V5.

(Angel Face is also rather good, if I'm allowed an element of self indulgence)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#13 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 06:05:33 pm
Clingen....I aspire to that in some distant future. "Don't place gear in the flake"....E2 my arse, sustained roof climbing over jagged boulders, and it looks like the lip is pretty tough....if you're lucky you'll only be paralysed in a fall and spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair, if you're unlucky the "rest of your life" will be the fraction of a second from muffing any part of the roof until your skull detonates on the closest boulder.

I might have seen stupider guidebook comments/grade combinations, but I sure as hell can't remember any  :evil:

The climbing looks good though...

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#14 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 06:30:09 pm
It's actually okay. The hardest tech move is quite low down and when you get to the lip there is a good rest with your right leg hooked around the flake. All that remains is the slightly unnerving match in the sloping break and a cruise to the top.

Just do it on one of those turbo charged days - like when your girlfriend has passed an important exam.

(I had to use this joke again, because no-one laughed on the witch hunt thread.)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#15 Woodhouse Scar?
July 16, 2004, 06:53:40 pm
(I had to use this joke again, because no-one laughed on the witch hunt thread.)

Hey, I read it like that too  :lol:

Ms F is a bit old for exams but maybe I can persuade her to find another Outdoor Ed. qualification to go for....  :P

webbo

• forum hero
#16 Woodhouse Scar?
July 17, 2004, 05:08:37 pm
fiend i' don't know why your complaing about it being graded e2 ,it used to be given hvs along with all the other e2s and e3s.you can traverse off to the left at most points if you bottle it

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal