UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307672 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
#875 Re: Fell running
April 19, 2017, 07:32:24 pm
https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item/71031/from_everest_to_the_bob_graham_-_kilian_jornets_plans_for_2017

Interesting ambitions.

Hmmm, it is interesting as I have it on good authority that he has tried the BGR previously, last year I think, and he dropped out prior to finishing.

JulieM

• regular
#876 Re: Fell running
April 24, 2017, 10:35:10 am
Another cracking weekend in the Lakes! I'm starting to feel a bit spoilt - every time I've run up here recently it's been suncream weather. Saturday's Anniversary Waltz was at least a bit cooler than Coledale, in fact it was pretty perfect weather.

The race itself was brilliant and there was a massive turnout - the entry list was over 400 strong before the day! I was thoroughly enjoying myself until I picked an awful line off Dale Head and burnt my quads out picking my way down steep rocky tussocks and losing places. The slog up to High Spy felt endless after that and I had proper jelly legs for the rest of the race, struggling even to keep running on the downhills. The views were incredible though and I'm planning to go back to run it again at some point when I can really enjoy it instead of feeling like I might die!

erm, sam

• forum hero
#877 Re: Fell running
April 24, 2017, 10:56:54 am
Sounds good!
I did the Kinder Downfall yesterday which was I really enjoyed. Top weather, lots of rocks to run around/over, cake at the end.

T_B

• forum hero
#878 Re: Fell running
April 24, 2017, 04:00:00 pm
Nice one Julie, I'd love to do that race at some point. Looks like it might be decent for Coniston this weekend too!

Bigup to UKB's v own wintermute for smashing AW with a win of 1:32:52. Not far off course record and 5 minutes quicker than 2nd place  :bow:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#879 Re: Fell running
April 24, 2017, 05:22:57 pm
Amazing effort wintermule and well done JulieM

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#880 Re: Fell running
April 24, 2017, 09:43:44 pm
I have got to say without a shadow of a doubt that Anni Waltz is by far the best racing day out I've ever had. Probably because I had no intention to 'race', but to enjoy the day, especially after blowing my IT band the previous weekend. But what a stunning day for it, slowing down many a time to take in the full Lakes panoramic. It as also nice to start at the back of the pack and work through the runners rather than blowing out of the proverbial all of the time, and pleased to finish just over two hours.

Definitely back next year, racing fit...... maybe!

And props to Chris for a blinding victory!!

JulieM

• regular
#881 Re: Fell running
April 25, 2017, 10:22:21 am
Bigup to UKB's v own wintermute for smashing AW with a win of 1:32:52. Not far off course record and 5 minutes quicker than 2nd place  :bow:

:agree:

Yes, amazing effort from Wintermute. I'm even more impressed after reading through some of the old posts on this thread and realising he's not been racing for that long!! Inspiring stuff!

Anyone doing the Three Peaks race on Saturday? I'm not but I'll be marshalling on Pen-y-Ghent and will give an extra big cheer to any UKBers.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#882 Re: Fell running
April 25, 2017, 11:48:34 am
Top work everyone, looked a top day. Was a heavy decision to cancel going up for this, still coughing now so probs right thing to do. Mind you my mate backed out of the Teenager with a poorly knee and ended up marshalling next to the Mighty Joss so not a bad consolation prize. Wonder if I can swing a pass to Coniston instead?

ajh

#883 Re: Fell running
April 25, 2017, 05:05:54 pm

Yeah, a really impressive run. The Strava flyby puts it in perspective quite nicely; while he had his feet up at the finish, I was still savouring the course somewhere in the vicinity of High Spy. Carl Bell's run on the Teenager race was pretty gobsmacking as well; when I started being passed by some of their runners after Dale Head Tarn I assumed they were in the lead - not realising that he'd gone over Robinson before I'd got there...sobering stuff.

What a great day though - easy to see why it's such a popular race. The weather and seeing Joss out and about spectating were pretty much the icing on the cake - he must have got himself up and down Maiden Moor in pretty short order for an 80 year old, although not quickly enough to stop himself getting a bollocking off his wife for nearly missing Nicky Spinks finishing her challenge!

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#884 Re: Fell running
April 28, 2017, 09:04:02 am
anyone catch steve birkinshaw on 5live yesterday? chatting about his wainwright run and book - hope it gets some extra sales for his book  :)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08mtjxd

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#885 Re: Fell running
May 02, 2017, 11:10:44 am
Very envious of all of you who undertook the Waltz and TWA this year. Sounds like you all had a great run, nice work!

Nice to finally compute that fellow Bowlander Chris is wintermute here too! Awesome effort mate!

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#886 Re: Fell running
May 02, 2017, 11:43:42 am
Had a go at the Diggle Cake Race on Saturday - recommended. Free entry for home bakers, fiver for the rest of us. Donation at the end gets you a cuppa and as much cake as you can justify (2000 cals in my case). Mix of track climbs, flags, steps, singletrack, fast finish. Bit too traily in the middle where I lost a couple of places but overall a pretty nice event.

Just started the Birkinshaw book - looking forward to the meaty bits.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#887 Re: Fell running
May 02, 2017, 02:16:37 pm
My partner is doing the Glen Lyon Ultra this weekend. Seems there's a river crossing and is now concerned about running in wet feet and getting blisters etc.

Any advice regarding preventative footcare, what to wear etc. There is a drop bag where she can leave dry shoes / socks etc, but it's quite a way after the crossing.

TIA

Monolith

• forum hero
#888 Re: Fell running
May 02, 2017, 02:56:02 pm
Funnily enough Chris I was reading a thread on this matter earlier today. It appears that plenty are fond of the zinc oxide method that is oh so familiar to us: http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?7951-Toenail-gone&p=632670#post632670

I ended up with a massive big toe blood blister and purple toe nail after a wet day out recently. I think the problem mainly arises for me when contouring but otherwise not really affected. I once tried to coat my feet in Vaseline before running but found that my feet just slid around in my socks and that it was a stupid idea.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#889 Re: Fell running
May 02, 2017, 03:54:58 pm
Hmm, Vaseline might be a bit grim, wonder if slathering with heel balm night before might help.

Monolith

• forum hero
#890 Re: Fell running
May 02, 2017, 04:29:43 pm
Interesting to read there was an advocate of the dry method in that FRA thread. Surgical spirit being the weapon of choice....

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#891 Re: Fell running
May 02, 2017, 06:51:32 pm
I'm probably the least experienced fell runner on here, but I have wet feet almost every time in out. I wouldn't worry too much. Tell her good luck from me!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

SA Chris

• forum hero
#892 Re: Fell running
May 03, 2017, 10:49:05 am
I'll let he know, thanks Ali. I think she's a bit nervous about it.

ajh

#893 Re: Fell running
May 04, 2017, 12:46:20 pm
Any advice regarding preventative footcare, what to wear etc. There is a drop bag where she can leave dry shoes / socks etc, but it's quite a way after the crossing.

Probably depends on lots of things - how prone she is to getting blisters, how far it is to the drop bag, how long the race is full stop, how competitive she's being etc etc - but if it's a big worry why not just take socks off, cross barefoot (either in your running shoes or without) and put them back on on the other side? She'll probably end up with slightly damp feet but probably no worse than they would be with sweat and stuff and almost certainly better than trying something new on race day (which can be disastrous if it doesn't work out).

Monolith

• forum hero
#894 Re: Fell running
May 04, 2017, 02:08:04 pm
Best of luck to your other half Chris. Sounds like she has been training hard and I'm sure it'll be a good event as a result.

Has anybody else here registered for Wasdale this year? Had two weeks off resting a bit of runner's knee and hoping I can schedule enough training to make it worthwhile entering.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#895 Re: Fell running
May 04, 2017, 03:11:24 pm

Probably depends on lots of things - how prone she is to getting blisters, how far it is to the drop bag, how long the race is full stop, how competitive she's being etc etc - but if it's a big worry why not just take socks off, cross barefoot (either in your running shoes or without) and put them back on on the other side? She'll probably end up with slightly damp feet but probably no worse than they would be with sweat and stuff and almost certainly better than trying something new on race day (which can be disastrous if it doesn't work out).

Thanks, yes seems logical had a look and can;t see route map, but looks like it;s a fig of 8 loop with start and bag drop in the middle of the 8l. She's never had any problems with blisters so far, but has only done road Marathons (London and Manchester) and a few on and off road halfs. I think she's leaning towards taking shoes off, but depends how bottom looks.

At least weather looks good, going to be dry and sunny on the day, and not much rain (or snowmelt!) for a while so hopefully river will be low.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#896 Re: Fell running
May 08, 2017, 11:03:15 am
So...

She got to the river. Looked upstream. Spotted a few rocks about 20m away, and hopped across them without even getting soles wet, at the same time watching on in disbelief as people waded through knee deep water!

Managed 6 hours, said it was a beautiful place to run, was a bit to hot though and ended up walking the really nasty hills. Loads of folk DNF from the heat.

Monolith

• forum hero
#897 Re: Fell running
May 09, 2017, 09:45:28 am
Awesome news mate! The pair of you will have to run some races together south of the border soon.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#898 Re: Fell running
May 09, 2017, 12:17:41 pm
Well she did Manchester Marathon already - 3:38. She's way faster than me.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#899 Re: Fell running
May 10, 2017, 10:53:42 am
I'm at a training course in Leeds (Elland road) and my wrist is a bit dodgy so can't climb, but was thinking it might be good to stop for a nice 1hr run somewhere be between Leeds and Glasgow. Any recommendations?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal