UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307708 times)

Brannock

• regular
#775 Re: Fell running
December 14, 2016, 10:56:01 am
Just to be different, all Inov-8 fell shoes are all to narrow for me, they used to do wide fit Roclites (comfort?) which was great. They do vary quite a bit as bizarrely the Road Extreme fits me really well.

JulieM

• regular
#776 Re: Fell running
December 14, 2016, 06:38:08 pm

I'm the same as galpinos, X-Talons and Mudclaws in precision, although I thought I had wide feet! X-Talons and Mudclaws seem pretty consistently sized, but Roclites were quite different (and also narrower than precision fit). I think the orange/blue version of the X-Talon 200 is the standard fit one - not tried them myself but that's what my other half races in.

I've found the opposite. I have a pair of Roclites and find them a good wide fit. I then bought a pair of precision fit Mudclaws for running through clag and they really rub on the inside of my foot. I've been persisting with them in the hope they might break in but anything over 5-6 miles in them tends to leave me peeling great swathes of skin off my feet afterwards.

For comfort I've found my Salomon Speedcross 3s to be the best fit but they're pretty useless when things get really muddy. I wore them for Mytholmroyd at the weekend and felt like I was skating round the course!

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#777 Re: Fell running
December 20, 2016, 03:49:29 pm
Some good Inov-8 shoe bargains on Wiggle at the minute - Mudclaws and X-Talons for £50ish, all Autumn/Winter 2016 models.
Smashing. New pair of 212s on the way just when the old pair are falling apart and relegated from 'best' to 'probably good enough for a few more runs'. Thanks!

T_B

• forum hero
#778 Re: Fell running
December 22, 2016, 06:54:26 pm
On the cheap shoe theme, Salomon Sense 5 ultra SG down to £90 on Wiggle.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#779 Re: Fell running
December 29, 2016, 04:51:44 pm
Fell running 2016 'best of' and 2017 aims in this thread or a new one folks?

T_B

• forum hero
#780 Re: Fell running
December 29, 2016, 05:20:21 pm
Just stick it on the standard aims/best of threads I reckon in hindsight. Gives those of us who haven't excelled at either more to pad out with  :P

Monolith

• forum hero
#781 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2017, 11:20:12 am
So, designs on 2017. Have many of you been busy populating the wall planner?

Stabbsy

• junky
#782 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2017, 11:37:41 am
I started on the wall planner (it's actually a spreadsheet) in November!
- NY Moors Winter Series (done 2 so far, 3 more needed)
- Just entered Totley Series, starts off with Tigger Tor end-Jan
- English Champs races (Long Mynd, Barlick, Tebay, Great Whernside and a Long)
- More summer midweek stuff than last year
- Calderdale Relay with the club
- Maybe a road half (sorry!)

Brannock

• regular
#783 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2017, 12:57:10 pm
Taking it fairly easy in January, still getting over achilles tendonpathy, building up to Marmot Dark Mountains, overnight mountain marathon type race at the end of Jan. Would like to get a good time in the Edale Skyline, trying to lose a bit of weight before then. Got a place in Jura, really looking forward to that. Might do Ennerdale, but its only 2 weeks after Jura. Haven't thought beyond that.

New years resolution is more long runs, at least one 15+ miller a month that is not a race.

ajh

#784 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2017, 01:54:11 pm
I've been a long-time lurker on this thread; it's been a great source of running psyche for me so I think it's time to come out of the woodwork  :wave:

Trigger in just over a week; hopefully whatever is currently making my foot grumpy will sort itself out by then. Recces so far have confirmed what I suspected all along; much of the ground between Crowden and the Kinder edge path is the stuff of nightmares so hopefully I can follow someone who knows the good lines on the day (apparently they do exist...), otherwise I'll just focus on getting to the end in one piece rather than worrying about times.

Lakes 50 at the end of July. Think this will be the main focus of most of my spring and summer running; I'm only likely to do it the once so I'd like to make it count. The distance is a bit daunting, the furthest I've gone before is 40 ish on the Keswick to Barrow but I was much younger and less breakable then.

The Mountain Trial in September. Can't wait for this; when I used to orienteer and run a lot more when I was younger this was the event I always wanted to do but I was never fit/good enough. I ran the medium last year and it was such a brilliant day out, hard but really rewarding. The full course will be a step up but hopefully fitness from the 50 will carry over.

It'd be great to do one or two of the Lakes classic longs too - Ennerdale and Langdale look like the most likely candidates at the moment but the recently established Darren Holloway Memorial Race (basically the old Buttermere horseshoe) has also caught my eye...

Some orienteering gubbins too - particularly the Northern Championships at the end of February.

New Year resolutions: 1) do more speed work! Growing up and running in the Lakes means I can pound uphill and over rough ground pretty effectively but my flat speed is abysmal. 2) keep climbing and running plates spinning simultaneously (this is becoming increasingly difficult).

Mr_Cus

• player
#785 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2017, 03:12:59 pm
Been injured for what feels like an eternity now (about 8 weeks...!) so really hoping i can fixed and get my legs back soon.

Got grindleford gallop booked in for march
Hathersage hurtle in may(?) and I'd like to do the ladybower trail marathon in June.
I'll also do 9 edges again in september and probably find a couple of half marathons.
I intend do some of the local evening fell races if my hip flexors dont give up on me again this year!

Should be a good year!

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#786 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2017, 04:52:12 pm
I'm doing Trigger this year too ajh, am not looking forward to it either as woefully underprepared but working on the assumption that I know the lines and I'm stubborn enough to drag myself round.

Other than that, main aim is the High Peak Marathon in March. Was cancelled last year at the 11th hour so got a score to settle.

Will no doubt do most of the Totley series too and which ever summer Peak races I fancy doing. Also, added bonus is I'm changing jobs in March so will be guaranteed on being at home every day without fail, so know for sure I can make any night of the week from then on.

Only other aim is the 5km Windermere  open water swim and then if that goes ok, Coniston end to end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T_B

• forum hero
#787 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2017, 05:09:01 pm
Current tentative plans...

Hope Winter.
Wolf's Pit (try and run sub 1 hour).
Holme Moss (try and run sub 4 hours) or possibly Borrowdale, depending on school holiday plans.
Peris Horseshoe (assuming it's on in early September). This would be my 'big race' of the year. The Mountain Trial as a back up plan?

The above assumes I'm mainly climbing until the end of June, but I keep some consistency with the running. This is going to take careful planning and will mean running at lunch times in the industrial heartland of Sheffield - not exactly the reason I got into running!

I love the idea of doing a longer mountain ultra, but probably not in the same year as trying to break a new climbing grade ;)

chris20

• menacing presence
#788 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2017, 07:00:53 pm
I'm doing Trigger this year too ajh, am not looking forward to it either as woefully underprepared but working on the assumption that I know the lines and I'm stubborn enough to drag myself round.

I'm doing the Trigger too, not done more than 10K in quite a while and don't know any of the lines, so should be interesting.... Planning on sticking to the back of a dark peaker and having my map and compass to hand.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#789 Re: Fell running
January 15, 2017, 08:20:13 pm

I'm doing the Trigger too, not done more than 10K in quite a while and don't know any of the lines, so should be interesting.... Planning on sticking to the back of a dark peaker and having my map and compass to hand.
How did you get on Chris? I had my first race DNF ever today at Trigger. Don't know what you made of the conditions but it's the worst I've seen it on the tops there, cold, icy bogs and sketchy river crossings. Ended up dropping out at Kinder Top as carrying on would have made me suffer more than I'm prepared to.

ajh

#790 Re: Fell running
January 15, 2017, 08:43:14 pm
Bad luck, the weather looked truly awful. I didn't even make the start line - slipped walking out from Malham yesterday evening and bashed my knee and shin really badly. By the time I got home I could barely get up and down the stairs so the idea of running from Marsden to Edale seemed ambitious. Gutted to miss out on what sounded like a very challenging day but I'll be back next year.

ajh

#791 Re: Fell running
January 15, 2017, 09:10:18 pm

Monolith

• forum hero
#792 Re: Fell running
January 16, 2017, 11:14:00 am
Photos from Crowden Little Brook here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mossienetphotography/sets/72157679186395355

:o

Armageddon! Love those river crossing methods!

I did the Ashurst Beacon race for the first time on Saturday and whilst it felt more akin to cross country, it was well paced and a great way to get back in to race mode. Lovely views up there as well post race and some cracking beers in the pub.

chris20

• menacing presence
#793 Re: Fell running
January 16, 2017, 01:31:39 pm

How did you get on Chris? I had my first race DNF ever today at Trigger. Don't know what you made of the conditions but it's the worst I've seen it on the tops there, cold, icy bogs and sketchy river crossings. Ended up dropping out at Kinder Top as carrying on would have made me suffer more than I'm prepared to.

It was my first DNF too.  I was enjoying the race up until Crowden and then started cramping going up the edge after Crowden and I kept thinking of turning back but thought I could stetch it out, turns out I couldn't.  By the time I got to snake pass I was cramping in both thighs and calves and struggling to walk so thought it was best to drop out.  I think most people were saying it's the worse conditions they have seen it.  I'm glad I packed a proper jumper in my bag as I needed it to get to snake pass.

Monolith

• forum hero
#794 Re: Fell running
January 16, 2017, 03:40:16 pm
Anybody thinking of doing the Teenager with Altitude or Anniversary Waltz this year? Places filling up fast and I'm throwing my hat in to the ring for the former this year after last year's Waltz outing. TWA looks to be a longish day out.

http://www.anniversarywaltz.co.uk

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#795 Re: Fell running
January 16, 2017, 05:31:03 pm

It was my first DNF too.  I was enjoying the race up until Crowden and then started cramping going up the edge after Crowden and I kept thinking of turning back but thought I could stetch it out, turns out I couldn't.  By the time I got to snake pass I was cramping in both thighs and calves and struggling to walk so thought it was best to drop out.  I think most people were saying it's the worse conditions they have seen it.  I'm glad I packed a proper jumper in my bag as I needed it to get to snake pass.
Yep, it's definitely the worst I've seen it, apparently getting on for 40 DNF's this year compared to the usual 5 or 10. I wish I'd packed a proper jumper too, only had a Patagonia base layer and thin goretex on, cold was really hurting by Snake Top. That pull up Lawrence Edge is a tough one, really steep and stretches the legs and to then have to bog hop on Bleaklow to Higher Shelf Stones is what finished a lot of people off I bet. You made the right decision I think as the team I was running with took another 3 1/2 hours from Snake Top to the finish.

Snake Top was a scene of moderate devastation too what with the support for the Spine race, I got a lift from one of my club members who was up there to do hot drinks and he said even the front runners in the top ten looked properly beaten by there.

Definitely doing it next year as there must be at least one year where it's cold, sunny and clear with no breeze?!

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#796 Re: Fell running
January 17, 2017, 01:05:31 pm
Trigger results are up;

http://www.marsdentoedale.co.uk/Results.htm

34 DNF's and 6 DQ's, all apparently for running down the road at the end from Jacob's ladder. Feels a bit harsh given the conditions and especially as they let other results stand of runners who missed one or two CP's.

Stabbsy

• junky
#797 Re: Fell running
January 17, 2017, 01:49:24 pm
Trigger results are up;

34 DNF's and 6 DQ's, all apparently for running down the road at the end from Jacob's ladder. Feels a bit harsh given the conditions and especially as they let other results stand of runners who missed one or two CP's.
That's still last year's results - no Andy Crome (Uptown of this parish) who completed in a bit over 5 hours - a fine effort! Also, Jasmin Paris won the women's race.

T_B

• forum hero
#798 Re: Fell running
January 17, 2017, 01:59:41 pm
Odd. Have you got a cached page?

The results I can see seem to tally with times on Strava.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#799 Re: Fell running
January 17, 2017, 02:01:02 pm
Trigger results are up;

That's still last year's results - no Andy Crome (Uptown of this parish) who completed in a bit over 5 hours - a fine effort! Also, Jasmin Paris won the women's race.
Are you sure? I am listed as a DNF and I didn't race last year?! Might have cached the page on your PC??  :shrug:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal