December 05, 2016, 04:28:43 pm
The safety elf couldn't catch me.  :weakbench:

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#752 Re: Fell running
December 05, 2016, 04:36:54 pm
Am thinking about plans/objectives for 2017 and beyond and wondering if folk who've participated in some of the Skyrunning style races can give me an idea of the route through to gaining enough experience/entry requirements for those?

The V3K Ultra looks as though it has the most lenient entry requirements that I've seen (2 races of at least 30Km with 50m of ascent in every Km) to then be able to enter e.g. Glen Coe Skyline/Lakes Ultra. I could gain entry for the V3K if I managed to complete some of the longer Lakes classic fell races next year. Any other races I'm missing? Basically what I'm looking for next year is races of around 30Km with 2000 - 3000m of ascent. I like the idea of doing a race with more technical ground, but in the UK this seems to only be incorporated into the longer Sky races? Maybe something like the Peris Horseshoe is as close as you can get to that style of race? Weird how it seems to have so few people enter it.

I'm fairly punter level and recommend the V3K. It's a cracking route that rewards persistence. The techy stuff is early on whilst you're fresh. I'd take a guess at the experience question being mostly to frighten off the Tough Mudder gang. A friend entered recently without much to put on his race palmares - general mountaineering and a few Medium races ...his name seems to be on the list. It's something I'd wanted to do for a bit and to have the logistics sorted and a couple of food stops makes it useful against the DIY option. There's a strong chance you'll fall into step with someone similar pace to pass the time more pleasantly, if that suits.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#753 Re: Fell running
December 05, 2016, 04:51:25 pm
Cheers Tom, will keep it in mind. I'm planning to focus mainly on climbing in the first half of the year, so most races I'm looking at are from late July onwards. In terms of longer races currently thinking of Holme Moss re-match, Borrowdale and maybe Peris Horseshoe or even Ring of Steall. But that could all change with a finger injury/dicky knees/wife's business taking off! :devangel:

I hear you on the grand ambition disruption potential Tom! Looking forward to 2017 already.  :)

wintermute

• menacing presence
#754 Re: Fell running
December 05, 2016, 05:20:33 pm
T_B it's the experience on rock that they're most concerned about with the UK skyraces. Your UKC logbook (or probably even your name) would be more than sufficient, along with some longer fell or trail races. You'd quite possibly get away with Strava evidence of long training runs if you haven't done the requisite races too. Well worth emailing the organisers and explaining your specific situation to see what they think.

Mourne Skyline would be a good race to look at too. No technical rock sections on it but it's awesome and a great excuse to go somewhere you might not otherwise go.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#755 Re: Fell running
December 05, 2016, 05:42:51 pm

The V3K Ultra looks as though it has the most lenient entry requirements that I've seen

Runners must remain vegan all day

Doesn't sound lenient to me. Need en route pasties.

ajh

#756 Re: Fell running
December 06, 2016, 10:15:29 pm
Any other races I'm missing? Basically what I'm looking for next year is races of around 30Km with 2000 - 3000m of ascent. I like the idea of doing a race with more technical ground, but in the UK this seems to only be incorporated into the longer Sky races?

What about the Mountain Trial (September)? I ran the medium this year; it was a cracking day out and really tough - lots of up and down and hardly ever on paths or tracks. Not sure it has technical ground in the same way that the Skyraces do but as a big day out in the hills it should easily meet your requirements.

T_B

• forum hero
#757 Re: Fell running
December 06, 2016, 10:28:02 pm
That's a good suggestion - thanks!

T_B

• forum hero
#758 Re: Fell running
December 06, 2016, 10:30:22 pm
T_B it's the experience on rock that they're most concerned about with the UK skyraces. Your UKC logbook (or probably even your name) would be more than sufficient, along with some longer fell or trail races. You'd quite possibly get away with Strava evidence of long training runs if you haven't done the requisite races too. Well worth emailing the organisers and explaining your specific situation to see what they think.

Mourne Skyline would be a good race to look at too. No technical rock sections on it but it's awesome and a great excuse to go somewhere you might not otherwise go.

Thanks for the reply Chris, food for thought. The Mourne race looks fab and as you suggest, the idea of going somewhere different that you don't know definitely appeals.

JulieM

• regular
#759 Re: Fell running
December 07, 2016, 05:32:11 pm

Runners must remain vegan all day

No jelly babies? No way!

Sorry for lack of posting on here - I've been a bit rubbish of late. I'm struggling with bad knee pain at the moment, seemingly related to a stupid fall I took on my recent climbing trip. Not an actual climbing fall - I fell down a couple of steps into the kitchen on the last day of trip like a total muppet! Since then, every time I've run I've really suffered within a mile or so and for the next few days. Saw the physio last night and he doesn't reckon running will make it worse so I've at least got the all clear to keep going, albeit fairly painfully.

I did manage to get out for the last Rab mini mountain marathon out on Tintwistle Moor but didn't do very well, I'd love to blame the knee but my appalling strategy and route finding were probably more to blame. Might do Mytholmroyd at the weekend if my knee feels up to it.

Looking ahead to next year, I've got a few aims in mind. I'd like to do some of the longer Lakes races - Black Coombe, Kentmere and Langdale would be good and the medium Mountain Trial is on the list. If fitness permits I've toyed with the idea of a baby ultra, maybe something like the Peak Skyline, but I feel quite a way off that at the moment! But really I just want to keep getting out and avoid injury.

T_B

• forum hero
#760 Re: Fell running
December 08, 2016, 09:37:57 am
OK OK I know this isn't fell running, but it's trail running.. though, er, this bit is on the road.

Anyway. If you run/race/have run long distances, this might just be a little bit of inspiration....

Stabbsy

• junky
#761 Re: Fell running
December 13, 2016, 02:24:08 pm
Some good Inov-8 shoe bargains on Wiggle at the minute - Mudclaws and X-Talons for £50ish, all Autumn/Winter 2016 models.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Monolith

• forum hero
#763 Re: Fell running
December 13, 2016, 03:43:35 pm
Spied this last night too. Got a pair of Mudclaws for 45, bargain!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#764 Re: Fell running
December 13, 2016, 03:49:11 pm
I've never used Innov8s they suit any shape of foot.

T_B

• forum hero
#765 Re: Fell running
December 13, 2016, 04:14:47 pm
I've tried a few models and none of them fit me. The X-talons were too narrow. I've also been told that the sizing is inconsistent across different models? They must fit most people though given that 50%+ of runners in fell races are wearing them!

galpinos

• forum hero
#766 Re: Fell running
December 13, 2016, 04:17:40 pm
I've tried a few models and none of them fit me. The X-talons were too narrow. I've also been told that the sizing is inconsistent across different models? They must fit most people though given that 50%+ of runners in fell races are wearing them!

They have a precision fit and standard fit, some models are available in both options, others in just one. I use Talons and Mudclaws in precision.

T_B

• forum hero
#767 Re: Fell running
December 13, 2016, 04:18:53 pm
Yeah it was the precision fit that I tried. I'd always thought I had a narrow foot but evidently not.

Monolith

• forum hero
#768 Re: Fell running
December 13, 2016, 04:23:59 pm
We're a right fussy lot us fell running climbers ;)

Probably would take the toe down fit if it existed!

Stabbsy

• junky
#769 Re: Fell running
December 13, 2016, 04:31:01 pm

They have a precision fit and standard fit, some models are available in both options, others in just one. I use Talons and Mudclaws in precision.
I'm the same as galpinos, X-Talons and Mudclaws in precision, although I thought I had wide feet! X-Talons and Mudclaws seem pretty consistently sized, but Roclites were quite different (and also narrower than precision fit). I think the orange/blue version of the X-Talon 200 is the standard fit one - not tried them myself but that's what my other half races in.

galpinos

• forum hero
#770 Re: Fell running
December 13, 2016, 04:33:09 pm
It's a bit like rockboots.

Inov-8 seem to go through multiple models so I stick with what I know and hope they don't change. There are now multiple X-Talons but I stick to the 212 (original) and the Mudclaw 300 (not original but reasonably unchanged on the fit).

T_B

• forum hero
#771 Re: Fell running
December 13, 2016, 04:35:52 pm
Yeah I ended up tracking down a 2nd pair of Sportiva Anakondas (discontinued) as they're the only shoe I've tried so far that fit me perfectly.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#772 Re: Fell running
December 13, 2016, 04:40:12 pm
Just got a pair of Mudclaws from Wiggle, thanks for the heads up, bargain at £45.

Recently bought a pair of X-Claw 275's as well, and whilst they are in the standard and not precision fit, they feel ideal for longer distance runs and training based on runs I've done in them so far.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#773 Re: Fell running
December 13, 2016, 04:53:15 pm
I've got a medium wide forefoot and narrow heel - Anasazi, not Sportiva - and the Inov-8 X-Talon 225 fit pretty well. I go up a full size over street shoe in them. I don't run in them obviously but they make a good carry-up long route shoe when there is soft ground on the approach or descent. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#774 Re: Fell running
December 14, 2016, 10:34:20 am
Minefield.

Thanks all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal