UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307669 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#625 Re: Fell running
September 16, 2016, 10:01:42 am
At least it's Saturday not Sunday! Hopefully not too windy and can do the standard route? Good luck all.

My return to running continues, managed a very flat 21km on road last night, first time I've done that distance since 1987.

T_B

• forum hero
#626 Re: Fell running
September 16, 2016, 10:19:13 am
Nope it's Sunday. The Ring of Steall race and the VK are on Saturday.

Nice one on getting back into it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#627 Re: Fell running
September 16, 2016, 10:19:58 am
Shit, good luck everyone!

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#628 Re: Fell running
September 16, 2016, 10:24:31 am
At least it's Saturday not Sunday! Hopefully not too windy and can do the standard route? Good luck all.

My return to running continues, managed a very flat 21km on road last night, first time I've done that distance since 1987.
Great running that Chris, solid half marathon distance. I did my first bit of proper running in about four weeks this week, turns out I've had a dose of pneumonia in early to mid-August; was wondering why I felt like death when I tried to run it off.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#629 Re: Fell running
September 16, 2016, 06:45:23 pm
What were your symptoms?  Asking for friend...

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#630 Re: Fell running
September 16, 2016, 07:00:08 pm
What were your symptoms?  Asking for friend...
very much like a bad chest and cough, painful to cough and as much as anything, feeling really weak doing even fairly simple stuff. I tried running on it and could barely muster a shuffle. Also my appetite plummeted too and kept falling asleep at odd times like on the train home at 5pm...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#631 Re: Fell running
September 16, 2016, 07:52:28 pm
Sounds rough.  Glad you're OK.  I once did myself a right mischief leading to Bronchitis and a horrible infection running immediately after a bad cough.  Since then my rule of thumb as told by a more experienced runner for was always if it (the cold) is above the neck you're generally OK, below the neck don't bother. 

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#632 Fell running
September 17, 2016, 06:33:43 am
Good advice FD, I'll remember that one from now on for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JulieM

• regular
#633 Re: Fell running
September 18, 2016, 07:19:18 pm
Well I finally got out and did my first fell race today. I did Utterley Butterley in Marsden - http://www.utterleybutterley.co.uk/ - a race that advertises itself as a nice introduction to fell running. It was probably more traily than proper fell running but it's a lovely route and today was a cracking day to be out. I came 78th out of 88, which was better than I'd expected given that I've only been running for a couple of months. The most important thing though was that it was brilliant fun, everyone was incredibly friendly (people saying well done as I overtook them was a pleasant surprise) and it turns out that having someone to chase down gives you an extra burst of speed :-)

Just having a look through the FRA site for the next one to do. Have any of you guys done the Withins Skyline race before? It looks like a popular one and you get a free curly wurly for finishing!

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#634 Re: Fell running
September 18, 2016, 09:37:54 pm
Great going Julie, always good to get the first race under your belt and make you realise that the competition is always friendly! As others (and probably me) on here have said too, you'll not come last either as you found out.

Not done Withins Skyline but looks like a nice course. And with a free curly wurly its got to be worth it. Keep an eye out for races in the Peak District as well, not too far to get to and generally well attended; hope to make the Leg it round Lathkil this year after missing it last year.

JulieM

• regular
#635 Re: Fell running
September 18, 2016, 09:50:50 pm
Cheers. It feels good to get the first one done and I might be a bit less nervous next time. Though I'm pretty sure they're not all going to be on gloriously warm and sunny days!

Good point about looking at the Peak. I've not done any running around there yet. I'm doing the next Rab mini mountain marathon in the Peak at the end of November so I could do to go for a recce once they announce the area it'll be held in.

Leg it round Lathkil looks like a good course - hope you make it. I'd be keen but I'm hoping to be out sport climbing in Lleida around that time.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#636 Re: Fell running
September 19, 2016, 09:52:06 am
Good luck to anyone doing the Glen Coe Skyline this weekend. Looks as though it may be a little windy. I think there are some UKBers doing it (wintermute?) and I know a few folk from Sheffield/the Peak who are too. Let us know how you get on!

Any feedback?

T_B

• forum hero
#637 Re: Fell running
September 19, 2016, 10:04:31 am
Good luck to anyone doing the Glen Coe Skyline this weekend. Looks as though it may be a little windy. I think there are some UKBers doing it (wintermute?) and I know a few folk from Sheffield/the Peak who are too. Let us know how you get on!

Any feedback?

Well one friend described it on Strava as her best day running in the mountains ever.

I'd love to be fit enough to try something like that, the idea of combining scrambling with running appeals massively.

T_B

• forum hero
#638 Re: Fell running
September 19, 2016, 10:20:20 am
Well I finally got out and did my first fell race today. I did Utterley Butterley in Marsden - http://www.utterleybutterley.co.uk/ - a race that advertises itself as a nice introduction to fell running. It was probably more traily than proper fell running but it's a lovely route and today was a cracking day to be out. I came 78th out of 88, which was better than I'd expected given that I've only been running for a couple of months. The most important thing though was that it was brilliant fun, everyone was incredibly friendly (people saying well done as I overtook them was a pleasant surprise) and it turns out that having someone to chase down gives you an extra burst of speed :-)

Just having a look through the FRA site for the next one to do. Have any of you guys done the Withins Skyline race before? It looks like a popular one and you get a free curly wurly for finishing!

Nice one Julie, glad you enjoyed it. I have only been running this year, so don't have much experience of many races and haven't done Withins, but I like the sound of it!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#639 Re: Fell running
September 19, 2016, 11:28:13 am
I'd love to be fit enough to try something like that, the idea of combining scrambling with running appeals massively.

Me too, qualification criteria seem a bit onerous though. I'm sure I'd be fine, just need to prove it to them though.

T_B

• forum hero
#640 Re: Fell running
September 19, 2016, 12:57:54 pm
Yes, I agree (about qualifying, not about being capable to do it!). Do you get points for Ring of Steall? It would seem obvious to get people to enter that and depending on their performance in that event one year, allow them entry to the Skyline the following year. The organisers having eyeballed you.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#641 Re: Fell running
September 19, 2016, 02:23:44 pm
Just reading the criteria on the site, I think the Ring of Steall or Mamores VK might qualify you? Although it's a bit vague.

http://www.skylinescotland.com/glen-coe-skyline/information/#displayEntryProcessMinimumExperience

T_B

• forum hero
#642 Re: Fell running
September 19, 2016, 02:29:10 pm
The mountain running experience must be from within the last 5 years, and include details of a mountain run or mountain race of similar severity to the Salomon Glen Coe Skyline™. Aspirant competitors must provide specific examples of named and dated races, and/or mountain running experience.

I interpret that as a 50K+ race with similar amount of ascent.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#643 Re: Fell running
September 19, 2016, 02:32:10 pm
Probably. Depends on definition of "severity"

Be a bit shit if the Peak one  for example (at 47k) wasn't a qualifier

https://skyrunninguk.com/calendar/

T_B

• forum hero
#644 Re: Fell running
September 20, 2016, 09:16:29 am
Just noticed Peak-based Dave Sykes ran the Three Shires in 2:47:19 on Saturday, then warmed down with the Glen Coe Skyline on Sunday in 11:19:57 #monster  :o

JulieM

• regular
#645 Re: Fell running
September 20, 2016, 11:50:54 am
Just noticed Peak-based Dave Sykes ran the Three Shires in 2:47:19 on Saturday, then warmed down with the Glen Coe Skyline on Sunday in 11:19:57 #monster  :o

Shitting hell!  :o My legs are still feeling a bit tired from my little 5 miler! What a beast.

T_B

• forum hero
#646 Re: Fell running
September 20, 2016, 12:22:53 pm
Yeah I've read a bit about tapering and I'm sure it doesn't recommend 20Km/1200m of ascent the day before your toughest race of the year!

Still, pretty inspirational and says a lot about recovery and what's possible. I'm still as crap speed-wise as I was earlier in the year, the thing I've really noticed is how much more quickly I'm recovering between runs.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#647 Re: Fell running
September 20, 2016, 12:23:58 pm
Amazing. Hope he didn't drive between them??

Brannock

• regular
#648 Re: Fell running
September 20, 2016, 01:57:07 pm
The mountain running experience must be from within the last 5 years, and include details of a mountain run or mountain race of similar severity to the Salomon Glen Coe Skyline™. Aspirant competitors must provide specific examples of named and dated races, and/or mountain running experience.

I interpret that as a 50K+ race with similar amount of ascent.

I did it last year, entered off 2 ALs, some BG recces and bit of mountaineering, if its got more popular might be more selective in who they let in. Its a fantastic race, route/atmosphere, everything. Despite the distance/ascent/scrambling, a lot of it is very runable on good paths and trails, very different the tussocky terrain on things like the Lakeland classics which I really struggle on.

In the same weekend as the three shires is crazy.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#649 Re: Fell running
September 20, 2016, 03:18:42 pm
Sounds like Glencoe Skyrunner might have tightened up, I think it was the most popular and hardest of the series so guess they could be more selective. I'm fairly sure a mate of mine got turned down with lots of ultra and AM/AS experience - it's the techy stuff they're looking for. He'd done the Lakes Skyrunner the year before when they simplified it and took out Pinnacle Ridge  and don't think that got him in. We did V3K this year - assume that'd get you in but it was full by then.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal