UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307707 times)

Stabbsy

• junky
#550 Re: Fell running
July 11, 2016, 03:38:22 pm
Round hill looks fun, are complete novices allowed to enter?

It says it's partially marked, so I would imagine it will be fairly obvious navigation wise. Depends what you're running background is, but 14Km in a race is not to be sniffed at and with 'only' 335m of ascent it will be fast!
Probably not a bad first fell race, but it is quick at the front of the field as Tom says. Don't remember much marking on the course apart from some tape on the boggy bits, but the nav is pretty obvious in good conditions. There were marshalls at key points too. That said, it can get pretty bleak up there in bad weather (from personal experience) and it was still boggy in August. There's likely to be people to follow for most of the race, but don't rely on it as the field can get pretty strung out towards the front and back of the race. Last year there were no kit requirements, but the race organiser can choose to impose kit if the weather is bad so you need to be able to meet them if you want to run.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#551 Re: Fell running
July 11, 2016, 03:57:52 pm
Ah right. I noticed Borrowdale were asking for a minimum of 2 x AMs. I'll check. I am free the weekend of Holme Moss, but I would have a grim time on that purely down to distance. I've run 20Km since tearing my hamstring 7 weeks ago and it wasn't easy. Obvs hope to be in better shape come October...

It sounds as though it would be wise for me to recce Langdale then.

Or I could just go to the Tor and try link ups  :-\ :lol:
Let me know if you fancy some company. The recce round Langdale and not trying link ups at the Tor.  ;)

T_B

• forum hero
#552 Re: Fell running
July 11, 2016, 04:53:11 pm
Ah right. I noticed Borrowdale were asking for a minimum of 2 x AMs. I'll check. I am free the weekend of Holme Moss, but I would have a grim time on that purely down to distance. I've run 20Km since tearing my hamstring 7 weeks ago and it wasn't easy. Obvs hope to be in better shape come October...

Let me know if you fancy some company. The recce round Langdale and not trying link ups at the Tor.  ;)

OK will do. It will be either one day 23/24 July or 30/31 July.

andy_e

• forum hero
#553 Re: Fell running
July 11, 2016, 07:14:18 pm
Cheers stabbs! It transpires my pal Tom is marshalling! What could that required kit include?

galpinos

• forum hero
#554 Re: Fell running
July 11, 2016, 08:52:19 pm
Cheers stabbs! It transpires my pal Tom is marshalling! What could that required kit include?

Waterproof top and bottoms (taped seams)
Hat
Gloves
Whistle
Compass
Map of the route

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#555 Re: Fell running
July 12, 2016, 08:35:01 pm
Round Hill looks like a good outing, course and more details on here;

http://otleyac.org.uk/round-hill-fell-race/

..... It's in the diary.

+1. Reckon you might see me there for this one.

andy_e

• forum hero
#556 Re: Fell running
July 13, 2016, 10:35:46 am
Are you all going to wait for me at the finish line?

uptown

• junky
#557 Re: Fell running
July 18, 2016, 08:24:33 am
I think I'm in for round hill too. :)
How did the RAB go big tub?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#558 Re: Fell running
July 18, 2016, 08:53:25 am
I think I'm in for round hill too. :)
How did the RAB go big tub?
missed it in the end  :(

Had a pretty full on week with work and ran a bit Friday plus swimming on Friday and Saturday finished me off. a couple of lads from my running club did it though so will check to see how they got on when results land.

I'm definitely doing Stoney Middleton next week though and then Salt Cellar the following week as had to pre-enter that one. Fingers crossed I might actually get a few races under my belt soon.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#559 Re: Fell running
July 18, 2016, 09:14:55 am

OK will do. It will be either one day 23/24 July or 30/31 July.
30/31 Better for me T_B. Let us know which you choose.

I'm thinking Sheldon, Stoney and Salt Cellar for me BTOL.

T_B

• forum hero
#560 Re: Fell running
July 18, 2016, 11:24:19 am

30/31 Better for me T_B. Let us know which you choose.

95% sure it will be 30/31 as intending to enter Holme Moss this Sunday after all (I know the course is more like 28.6Km, but I managed 20Km this weekend at a reasonable (for me) pace, and hope I can just grind out the last 9Km). If I survive I'll be in touch next wk.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#561 Re: Fell running
August 01, 2016, 04:30:16 pm
What do you guys normally do regarding footwear / socks in the wet? Just get wet feet and deal with it, or any waterproof socks to recommend that aren't too uncomfortable. What i do can in no way be regarded as fell running (farm tracks and forest trails) but any wet vegetation and my feet are soaked. I usually wear lightweight Brooks pure grit trainers (which I really like) and feetures or decathlon running socks.

wintermute

• menacing presence
#562 Re: Fell running
August 01, 2016, 06:06:17 pm
Just get wet feet. It's part of the fun.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#563 Re: Fell running
August 01, 2016, 09:31:50 pm
Yep the quicker draining the shoe the better generally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T_B

• forum hero
#564 Re: Fell running
August 02, 2016, 09:07:15 am
Heads up anyone intending to enter Langale. Entries opened yesterday and it's already 2/3rds full.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#565 Re: Fell running
August 02, 2016, 09:17:50 am

That's the response I was expecting. Doesn't it make your feet soft and prone to blisters though?

Plattsy

• forum hero
#566 Re: Fell running
August 02, 2016, 09:19:21 am
How was Sunday T_B?

Merino wool socks will keep your feet warm when wet Chris.

T_B

• forum hero
#567 Re: Fell running
August 02, 2016, 09:25:45 am
How was Sunday T_B?

I didn't go. TBH I was still recovering mentally from Holme Moss (toughest day I have had in a very long time), so was sort of relieved when you cancelled! I'd also been over to the Roaches on Saturday and v nearly did a problem I've wanted to do in ages, so went back and finished that off on Sunday morning. But that leaves me with having to find a day to recce it at some point, which might be tricky now. Feel like I need to re-group a bit and already having had four days off running I feel a lot better for it!!

T_B

• forum hero
#568 Re: Fell running
August 02, 2016, 09:28:04 am

That's the response I was expecting. Doesn't it make your feet soft and prone to blisters though?

I've found the Inov-8 merino socks really excellent and my feet have got wet a lot in the past 6 months. Some people swear by Injinji. I'm going to get a pair to see what all the fuss it about.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#569 Re: Fell running
August 02, 2016, 10:26:11 am
Merino wool socks will keep your feet warm when wet Chris.

Cool, will get sopme. At this time of the year it's not really the cold, it's more concern about screwing up feet.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#570 Re: Fell running
August 02, 2016, 12:30:07 pm
Heads up anyone intending to enter Langale. Entries opened yesterday and it's already 2/3rds full.

Thanks for the prompt Tom! Just entered so hoping to get match fit by then.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#571 Re: Fell running
August 02, 2016, 12:31:29 pm
I've found the Inov-8 merino socks really excellent and my feet have got wet a lot in the past 6 months.

Amen to that. I like the 'low' version best of all and they've kept me comfortable in winter snow and bog land. Think you can get some good prices on them via Amazon....

Stabbsy

• junky
#572 Re: Fell running
August 02, 2016, 01:21:47 pm
I'm in two minds - I was originally intending to, but it's a week before the fell relays and trying to avoid doing too many races round then as a result. Think I'm going to leave it until another year.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#573 Re: Fell running
August 02, 2016, 02:05:16 pm

I've found the Inov-8 merino socks really excellent and my feet have got wet a lot in the past 6 months. Some people swear by Injinji. I'm going to get a pair to see what all the fuss it about.
I really like them, particularly in warmer months. I use them pretty much exclusively for road and light trail and fell, and only really when its gets in to the depths of winter and need something thicker and merino then I revert to normal socks.

I was skeptical at first and they are a bit of a pain to put on and take off, but once you've had them on for a few minutes you forget about them and they are really comfortable. I've never suffered from blisters when running but you can definitely see how they reduce bunching and pinch points round the toes.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#574 Re: Fell running
August 05, 2016, 09:43:48 pm
Did Salt Cellar fell race tonight. Proper full on tough race with all conditions in the 11km. Steep uphill pull, moorland doubletrack, flag stone section, technical descents, bogs and thrashing through bracken. Didn't embarrass myself too much but the lack of running over the last month definitely showed. Made the most of my downhilling to make up spaces and just about fended off a few on the climbs but still finished in the bottom half I think. Still, really enjoyable race and one I'll definitely look to do again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal