UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307669 times)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#375 Fell running
March 10, 2016, 07:55:25 am
Keep it ticking over and do the Fellsman in April. I've done both several times, and the fellsman's top draw ;D
cheers Snoops I'll take a look, not a race I've done before so be good to do a new one.

Edit: just looked at the course. 60 miles! I thought HPM was long at 42...! Erm.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:01:07 am by bigtuboflard »

T_B

• forum hero
#376 Re: Fell running
March 10, 2016, 08:37:34 am
I'm thinking about doing Wolf's Pit, which would be my first ever fell race. Would this be a reasonable choice? I've only really been running the past 8 weeks, but virtually all in the Peak and half of that in the evenings by headtorch. Mainly 10 - 12Km at a steady pace (e.g. Cutthroat Bridge to Back Tor and return), so my aim would be to get round and just to experience an 'event'. What's the terrain like on Shatton Moor and would there be much running on unmarked / heathery ground? Any general tips / advice? Thanks!

chris20

• menacing presence
#377 Re: Fell running
March 10, 2016, 08:56:57 am
I'm thinking about doing Wolf's Pit, which would be my first ever fell race. Would this be a reasonable choice? I've only really been running the past 8 weeks, but virtually all in the Peak and half of that in the evenings by headtorch. Mainly 10 - 12Km at a steady pace (e.g. Cutthroat Bridge to Back Tor and return), so my aim would be to get round and just to experience an 'event'. What's the terrain like on Shatton Moor and would there be much running on unmarked / heathery ground? Any general tips / advice? Thanks!

I did it last year and loved it.  You start in a field in Shatton and then go straight up the hill to the mast on top, this is over tussocky grassland like you can see in the pictures.  Then it's round a well trodden path/gravel track around the top and back down the hill to the finish.  It's all well marked and marshals directing you.

Remember you need full kit and they were checking last year.

Stabbsy

• junky
#378 Re: Fell running
March 10, 2016, 08:57:06 am
Who's in for Black Combe on Saturday then? I'm camping over on Friday night with a friend at Silecroft and we'll likely grab a pint nearby if anybody cared to join us.
I'll be there, but staying with a mate in Kendal the night before. I'll maybe catch you afterwards for tea and medals.

So, wondering what to do with my slow but very reasonable endurance running I've built up. Not much use for the half marathon I've got in about five weeks.

I've entered this as 3 Peaks training, 1st weekend in April :-

https://www.ldwa.org.uk/Nidderdale/M/333/blubberhouses-25.html

Slightly misnamed as it's only 23 miles-ish. Not as wild or long as HPM, but decent course (ran a big chunk of it on Sunday). Goes from the Washburn Valley to Bolton Abbey and back via some trail, moorland and permissive tracks by reservoirs.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#379 Re: Fell running
March 10, 2016, 09:03:58 am
Cheers Stabbsy I'll take a look at that. Not far from where my sister lives in Otley so could always score a few family points in the good books and combine the visit.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#380 Re: Fell running
March 10, 2016, 09:05:18 am

I did it last year and loved it.  You start in a field in Shatton and then go straight up the hill to the mast on top, this is over tussocky grassland like you can see in the pictures.  Then it's round a well trodden path/gravel track around the top and back down the hill to the finish.  It's all well marked and marshals directing you.

Remember you need full kit and they were checking last year.
+1. Great first race and you'll be fine if you've been doing that sort of distance and routes off road. You'll really enjoy it and you'll definitely not be last either.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#381 Re: Fell running
March 10, 2016, 09:27:57 am

Not done Wolf's Pit but I did my first fell race last weekend; the Congleton Cloud 9 with my Dad. It was absolutely brilliant - I'm really surprised how much I enjoyed it! I ran about once a week along Stanage and back for a few weeks in the lead up at a reasonable pace - I haven't tried so hard in a long while (partly because I was trying to beat my dad who has been running/racing a lot this year - he beat me) but it was absolutely amazing! Im not going to do it instead of climbing but will defo do more evening races over the summer I think.

Basically you should defo go for it, just expect the 'just get round' mentality to disappear and find yourself busting a gut to get as good a time as possible!

If I was around and not climbing I would be doing it I reckon!

T_B

• forum hero
#382 Re: Fell running
March 10, 2016, 11:37:34 am
Cool, thanks for the replies. Just need to squeeze in a couple more pacier runs between now and then to get my confidence up.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#383 Re: Fell running
March 10, 2016, 05:07:23 pm

Not done Wolf's Pit but I did my first fell race last weekend; the Congleton Cloud 9 with my Dad. It was absolutely brilliant - I'm really surprised how much I enjoyed it! I ran about once a week along Stanage and back for a few weeks in the lead up at a reasonable pace - I haven't tried so hard in a long while (partly because I was trying to beat my dad who has been running/racing a lot this year - he beat me) but it was absolutely amazing! Im not going to do it instead of climbing but will defo do more evening races over the summer I think.

Basically you should defo go for it, just expect the 'just get round' mentality to disappear and find yourself busting a gut to get as good a time as possible!

there are some great summer races coming up in the Peak. Castleton on a Friday evening is probably my favourite and a great atmosphere but all the ones in the Hope valley are great. Burbage skyline is superb too and fairly soon.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#384 Re: Fell running
March 10, 2016, 10:23:48 pm

I also did Wolf's Pit for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. A beast of a first climb (expect to be walking like the majority!!) bit great running once you get on the tops, with a fantastically fun descent down the same!!

Alternatively, and one I'll be doing the same weekend, is Chicken Run nr Hayfield, which takes on the shoulders of Kinder Scout. I haven't done this before, but it may be a little tamer that Wolf's. Either way, get stuck in T_B, they are all good fun and highly addictive.

Good luck to anyone doing Black Coombes this weekend (Mono, Stabbsy...) or the Edale Skyline. I'll be doing a wee trail race, Roddlesworth Roller nr Chorley, to try and find my racing legs after a 6 month break. 

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#385 Re: Fell running
March 10, 2016, 10:34:52 pm
I'm no runner, but you lot talking about races is pretty inspiring. Thanks for getting us lot psyched for some muddy fun!

Duncan campbell

• junky
#386 Re: Fell running
March 11, 2016, 07:57:13 am

there are some great summer races coming up in the Peak. Castleton on a Friday evening is probably my favourite and a great atmosphere but all the ones in the Hope valley are great. Burbage skyline is superb too and fairly soon.

Yeah defo keen for the Burbage Skyline!! Will also try and do the ones that were/are in the outside series if I remember/aren't too deeply embroiled in some sport climbing project/totally knackered from weekends away tradding

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#387 Re: Fell running
March 11, 2016, 09:12:36 am
I'm no runner, but you lot talking about races is pretty inspiring. Thanks for getting us lot psyched for some muddy fun!

Get yourself signed up to a Lakeland Classic you total hustler!

Can't wait for a Cumbrian pint tonight and a frosty tent!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#388 Re: Fell running
March 11, 2016, 09:15:44 am
I don't think so!  Slow but steady for me at the minute.

The Trail 26 series is worth looking at, if you haven't already.  Been a good day out whenever I've done them.

Brannock

• regular
#389 Re: Fell running
March 11, 2016, 12:53:28 pm
Good luck with the races, Black Combe looks great, Ive got the Edale Skyline.

Hope wakes and Salt Cellar are also good evening races over the summer.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#390 Re: Fell running
March 11, 2016, 01:07:16 pm

Hope wakes and Salt Cellar are also good evening races over the summer.

Might hit you up for some knowledge on these Brannock! I'd also be keen to get into the Electric Quarry at Stoney once my arm is better if you're keen?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#391 Fell running
March 11, 2016, 05:44:25 pm
Who's in for Black Combe on Saturday then? I'm camping over on Friday night with a friend at Silecroft and we'll likely grab a pint nearby if anybody cared to join us.
a couple of runners from my club (Totley) are doing Black Combe tomorrow. Don't let their relative age fool you, not that it wouldn't, Pat was national standard when she was younger I believe and still regularly leaves me for dead :)

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#392 Re: Fell running
March 13, 2016, 09:33:04 pm
Well, how did everyone get on this weekend? Anyone get lost in the clag at Black Combes? Snow, slush, bog and mud of Edale? Anyone tick Win Hill?

In mild comparison I did a wee trail race, Roddlesworth Roller under the shadow of Darwin Tower in Lancashire. First race for six months, so a nice opportunity to get legs spinning again whilst visiting family. Tougher than I'd anticipated, but enjoyed the racing, and came away with a top twenty placing I'd hoped for. Now psyched for the Chicken Run nr Hayfield next Saturday!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#393 Re: Fell running
March 13, 2016, 10:11:26 pm
I was marshalling the Parbold Duathlon today. I generally ask people "how was that?" And one guy said "yeah, ok. Been easier if I hadn't done the Black Combe race yesterday".

Nutter!

T_B

• forum hero
#394 Re: Fell running
March 13, 2016, 10:17:44 pm
Anyone tick Win Hill?

Ha I did a double Win Hill in the last hour of light today after watching the semis at the CWIF. Almost didn't go out as I'd eaten a burger and a pizza at around 3pm and was feeling somewhat lethargic. Glad I did tho as beautiful light across Derwent edges and hopefully useful to do some steep climbing. My final prep for next w/e as plan to rest all wk.

Monolith

• forum hero
#395 Re: Fell running
March 14, 2016, 10:23:08 am
In mild comparison I did a wee trail race, Roddlesworth Roller under the shadow of Darwin Tower in Lancashire. First race for six months, so a nice opportunity to get legs spinning again whilst visiting family. Tougher than I'd anticipated, but enjoyed the racing, and came away with a top twenty placing I'd hoped for. Now psyched for the Chicken Run nr Hayfield next Saturday!

Good work beast, sounds like a day well spent!

I had paced myself perfectly through the first three checkpoints and couldn't have been feeling any better for a pounce on the final climb after a proper warmup and stayover the night before. Bar recceing the course, I had all key bearings jotted down on the map and promised myself I'd take one from CP3-4 in the heavy clag that was down. Obviously I got absorbed in the moment, failed to take a bearing and followed two (friendly) numpties down to the east. This led to an eventual resummit and losing a stack of time. Got pretty angry with myself that a decent amount of training had amounted to nothing finishing in over 2 hours. Alas, learnt for next time!

Stabbsy

• junky
#396 Re: Fell running
March 14, 2016, 11:59:06 am
Good to see you're back racing Mini. I might be doing a race in that area in 3 or 4 weeks (Wardle Skyline) if you fancy it.

As for Black Combe, it's probably the only time I'll ever be able to say that I beat Simon Bailey, Rob Hope and Rob Jebb in a fell race. I can see how everyone went wrong when they did - I was tempted to drift further left after CP3, but stuck with my line and the checkpoint appeared a minute or two later. You would only have to miss it by 100m or so and you would never spot it. Two of my club who were just behind me on the first climb did exactly that and came in after 2 hours plus.

Lessons learnt :-
  • Fell race training in York is hard work. Moors climbs just aren't long enough or steep enough to prepare you for stuff like Saturday.
  • The North York Moors races feel like trail races in comparison to the Lakes events.
  • I need to do more hill reps.

Monolith

• forum hero
#397 Re: Fell running
March 14, 2016, 12:56:10 pm
Good to see you're back racing Mini. I might be doing a race in that area in 3 or 4 weeks (Wardle Skyline) if you fancy it.

As for Black Combe, it's probably the only time I'll ever be able to say that I beat Simon Bailey, Rob Hope and Rob Jebb in a fell race. I can see how everyone went wrong when they did - I was tempted to drift further left after CP3, but stuck with my line and the checkpoint appeared a minute or two later. You would only have to miss it by 100m or so and you would never spot it. Two of my club who were just behind me on the first climb did exactly that and came in after 2 hours plus.

Lessons learnt :-
  • Fell race training in York is hard work. Moors climbs just aren't long enough or steep enough to prepare you for stuff like Saturday.
  • The North York Moors races feel like trail races in comparison to the Lakes events.
  • I need to do more hill reps.

Loving this chaos! At least it made for a laugh eh Stabbs!?

Take a look at the Strava flyby for extra shits and giggles! I'm taking the extra summit tick as you can see!

http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#515177720?c=gctse548&z=C&t=1Mv0iF&a=-Py0HoY1tB5tZLMeAnKwHvOZtB7lmLQedaDDHnXmtB7dUbQeuiq0Hnzkyh6qXrceFdfDHr-3sh4Jpb4e

Stabbsy

• junky
#398 Re: Fell running
March 14, 2016, 03:08:14 pm
Quote from: Monolith link=topic=24552.msg516603#msg516603
Take a look at the Strava flyby for extra shits and giggles! I'm taking the extra summit tick as you can see!
There's a great graphic on the Fell Running Briefs twitter feed (can't get to Twitter at work, sorry) that shows all the Strava lines round CP3 and on the last descent. Some people had a long day out!

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#399 Re: Fell running
March 14, 2016, 04:07:29 pm
That Strava fly-by is just brilliant :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal