UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307701 times)

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#300 Re: Fell running
October 19, 2015, 12:23:48 pm
How'd we get on relayers? I was definitely weakest link in our Helsby mob on Leg 4, but only lost us a handful of places. Ran pretty much the whole thing on my own, which was odd - more like 'going for a run' than racing. People coming past were too quick to hang onto for long and only caught a couple of late nav leg people right at the end. Wasn't you wintermute I was chatting to in the hall, chuckling at the map? https://instagram.com/p/88z4dHNiei/

Stabbsy

• junky
#301 Re: Fell running
October 19, 2015, 01:01:08 pm
Cracking day out - I was on leg 4 as well and ran pretty well. I got to see the leaders coming in past the farm on Barley Hill as I was heading out to CP1 on my leg. What did you make of the descent from CP3 to CP4?

The team (York Knavesmire) did pretty well overall for a club that has to drive for an hour to find any hills to train on! We made up a few places on last year, but still just outside the top 50. One of our leg 3 runners had a shocker which maybe lost us about 5-10 places.

I was well pleased to beat Annie Conway's time on the last leg - although to be fair, she had little to run for as Ambleside had wrapped up the ladies title by then.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#302 Re: Fell running
October 19, 2015, 01:12:07 pm
Top work! I made a right meal of that descent to CP4 - braking hard all the way. Might have been different if I'd been chasing people ...or maybe not! Really enjoyed the stretch after and the sting in the tail somewhat. All set to compare notes with our women's leg 4 but she apparently had a blinder and skipped past 4 or 5 people on the descent. Another great day from CLEM. Like the end of term party for fell running.

wintermute

• menacing presence
#303 Re: Fell running
October 19, 2015, 07:46:43 pm
Wasn't me I'm afraid Steve. Was it a Bowland member you were speaking to?

First year at the relays (and at running) so didn't really know what to expect, but it was great fun.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#304 Re: Fell running
October 19, 2015, 11:21:43 pm
Yep, your leg 4 guy - long hair, lives in Carnforth?

wintermute

• menacing presence
#305 Re: Fell running
October 20, 2015, 06:18:11 am
Ah, that'd be sam. I was the shorter half of leg 2.

galpinos

• forum hero
#306 Re: Fell running
November 30, 2015, 11:57:26 am
Sunday was a lovely day to be out on the hills........... Did the Rab Minin which was my first score class event. Top tip, if the rules state you lose all your points if you're 30 minutes over, don't finish 38 minutes over.

Apart from that, I really enjoyed it, especially the fist 3hrs and will be a little less ambitious next time.

Stabbsy, how did the relays go?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:23:34 pm by galpinos »

Stabbsy

• junky
#307 Re: Fell running
November 30, 2015, 12:34:44 pm
Not sure "lovely" would be my choice of words - the weather at the relays was wild. Based on 55mph winds and rain showers, I decided to start my leg in my waterproof - very good decision! I got on to the tops at the same time as a hail storm started and got blasted for 10 mins which was fairly painful. I think I got blown over once, fell over twice and fell into one bog, plus waded up to my waist in an impromptu river. Really tough course in those conditions, but would great running if it was a bit drier and less windy. I think we ended up 8th out of about 90 teams, plus we had a high finish in the ladies and mixed events.

Looked like there were quite a few injuries and a couple of cases of mild hypothermia, including some really experienced guys who should know better. One of those days that will be a great experience to look back on, but wasn't my best day out on the hills!

galpinos

• forum hero
#308 Re: Fell running
November 30, 2015, 01:01:53 pm
Sounds "challeging"...... No hypothermia on the Rab but people did look pretty well kitted out. I guess the "nav" part of the race makes people realise they might be stood around a bit.

On my "fast" run back to the finish i ended up staggering across a peat bog, straight into the wind and hail at which point one leg disappeared up to my thigh and then my hamstring cramped up as I tried to pull it out! Had a couple of sketchy river crossings too.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#309 Fell running
November 30, 2015, 01:32:25 pm
Sunday was a lovely day to be out on the hills........... Did the Rab Minin which was my first score class event. Top tip, if the rules state you lose all your points if you're 30 minutes over, don't finish 38 minutes over.

Apart from that, I really enjoyed it, especially the fist 3hrs and will be a little less ambitious next time.

They're great events, done them as a pair for the last few years (missed this one though) but moving to doing them solo next year.

Timing and pacing as you say is everything. I seem to have a good knack of pacing and judging time between checkpoints well, and have never had a time penalty but equally always finished within 3 or 4 minutes of the time limit. Managed as close as 6 seconds one event. Other main thing I've learned has to be to stick to your plan of route or at least general clockwise or anti-clockwise route from the start, giving yourself a few options at the end to drop or include checkpoints depending on pace.

Looking forward to the ones next year, first Peak one is on February I think. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#310 Re: Fell running
November 30, 2015, 02:02:22 pm
Any eagle-eyed FRA members out there will have seen the Fellrunner land through their letterbox this week. There's a little mention about the Studmarks project written by my cohort Robert White.

So far, all scanned and OCRing our way through it.

galpinos

• forum hero
#311 Re: Fell running
December 11, 2015, 10:28:11 am

Litton Christmas Cracker this weekend anyone? Look like it might be a tad damp...... I shall be there with a reasonably large group from Chorlton where I imagine we shall be mostly bringing up the rear.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#312 Re: Fell running
December 11, 2015, 10:36:26 am
For anyone (like me) who thought they'd enter on the day. It's already full.
http://tideswellrunningclub.uk/club-events/litton-christmas-cracker/

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#313 Re: Fell running
December 11, 2015, 10:54:50 am

saw that too Plattsy, I'm away on holiday so wouldn't be able to do it but will definitely put it on my list for next year. You could always join the Trigger recce heading over Bleaklow on Sunday with the club, looks like Richard Snowden is leading it. Should be fun as there may even be snow on the ground from tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

galpinos

• forum hero
#314 Re: Fell running
December 11, 2015, 11:12:11 am

Oops, so it is, sorry! If anyone's down at Rubicon they might be in for a shock.

Brannock

• regular
#315 Re: Fell running
December 14, 2015, 04:15:45 pm

Litton Christmas Cracker this weekend anyone? Look like it might be a tad damp...... I shall be there with a reasonably large group from Chorlton where I imagine we shall be mostly bringing up the rear.

Fun race, the paddle past Rubicon especially. Looked like a good turn out from Chrolton.

galpinos

• forum hero
#316 Re: Fell running
December 15, 2015, 02:01:29 pm
Fun race, the paddle past Rubicon especially. Looked like a good turn out from Chrolton.

Yep, very good, though my legs got pretty chilly making the slog up the road from cragx Mill a little testing. Found the contouring descent tricky with the mud and the more than slightly worn studs on my shoes didn't help, didn't make up the time I'd have hoped on the descents in general and have realised my legs are weak but..... I still really enjoyed it. Good food in the Red Lion after too!

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#317 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2016, 08:22:09 am
A mate of mine is talking about doing the Dragon's Back next year. He's a reasonably fit mountaineer but has afaik no competitive off road running experience, let alone hard multi day ultras. I take it he's not going to die, but he might be completely wasting his time.

Assuming he completely devotes his life to off road running training for the next year and a half - thus depriving me of a regular cilmbing partner  >:( - should I encourage him and volunteer to be his support team, or try to talk him out of his madness?

Graeme78

• player
#318 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2016, 08:30:00 am
Depends what the entry criteria are. Some races have quite a strict vetting process, for instance the Glencoe Sky race, where they will check what prior experience you have. Best advice, contact Shane Ohly and see what he says.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#319 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2016, 08:30:25 am
Quite a tight timescale to go from not much experience to Dragon's Back!  It's only 300km, but the 16km of ascent and the nature of the turf is a game changer.
May be worth looking at getting other events under his belt this year and 2016 and going for 2017.  A lot of money if you aren't ready!

Depends what the entry criteria are.

EDIT: First come, first served IIRC - no specific criteria as long as you sign the declaration.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:41:53 am by GCW »

galpinos

• forum hero
#320 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2016, 09:39:44 am

It's a lot harder than a "trail" ultra/multi stage event and some pretty fit and experienced people get broken by it. The terrain and nav are harder than just plodding along a way-marked trail. It's a BIG event.

Having said that, I know of people who have the mental fortitude that, baring injury, would be able to complete the course with that length of prep. It depends on the person and their commitment to the preparation. If he's willing to be running on five or six days a week with multiple weekends away to longer and longer races over comparable terrain then yes, why not.

galpinos

• forum hero
#321 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2016, 09:53:25 am

So, what are people's plans for 2016? I had a poor showing on New Year's Eve at Bowstones (lovely race, easy terrain but running aorund Lyme park is very pretty) so keen to have a better showing this year.

• Get a degree of fitness back after becoming a dad again.
  • PBs races on my calendar (only started it in 2015 so most are just what I did this year)
  • Do more races with the club
  • A good showing in the Highlander.
  • A proper Lakes AL.

So, in light of my last point, what ALs in the Lakes should I look at? Maybe after the start of June in order to milk any fitness gained on the highlander?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#322 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2016, 10:47:55 am
Good list here, although I'm sure you've seen it.

The Pendle ones (whilst not Lakeland) are supposedly good value, along with the usual suspects of Ennerdale/ Wasdale etc.  Clif Bar 10 I have heard good things about, but not done it.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#323 Re: Fell running
January 06, 2016, 02:35:39 pm

So, what are people's plans for 2016?

• A proper Lakes AL.

So, in light of my last point, what ALs in the Lakes should I look at? Maybe after the start of June in order to milk any fitness gained on the highlander?

I'm also really keen to get a few done later in the year beast. Langdale has to be done this year I think and the Ennerdale would be a good one to aim for.

I really, really recommend the Arenig Fawr race (AM) organised by the legend that is Yiannis Tridimas. It was my first ever fell race and it was absolutely brilliant. Beautiful setting and variety of terrain (scree, bog, heather, gully etc.):

http://yiannistridimas.webs.com

I'm pretty certain I'll go back to Gosforth for my birthday weekend in October to better my time in the Wasdale Show race - flat out up and down Kirk Fell was pretty intense. Saw Joss Naylor there too which was a nice tick.

Stabbsy

• junky
    #324 Re: Fell running
    January 06, 2016, 03:13:33 pm
    I've got plans to do most of the English Champs races. Already got a place at Black Combe in March and (I think) Up The Nab in May. Also hoping to do Pendle 3 Peaks and Langdale (it's in the champs this year, so will fill up quickly). Probably won't score any points though.

Other races on the list are High Cup Nick, Yorkshire 3 Peaks, Kinder Trog and Duddon. Then the two relays, Calderdale in May and the national relays (Loch Lomond this year) in September. It's going to be a busy year!

On the Lakes longs, my club mates suggest Langdale is the easiest, followed by Duddon and then possibly Borrowdale. Wasdale and Ennerdale are meant to be the hardest. Probably missed one out of those.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal