UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307867 times)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#275 Re: Fell running
October 01, 2015, 09:21:48 pm
Bigtub, that's brilliant thank you. Just the sort of opinion piece I was looking for. That review is a fantastic piece of writing by the way - very in depth.
Yep he's a good source of knowledge. And his mini blogs from various parts of the world make a nice read too.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#276 Re: Fell running
October 02, 2015, 06:51:16 am
I'm not looking to rely on this information in the mountains with said watch but it would be good to understand this issue in a bit more detail. I've also read up on elevation smoothing and how it occurs post run.

I actually find them poor when on the hills,but once downloaded at home onto garmin connect or similar they are very accurate

No experience with a dedicated GPS, but with MyTracks on an android phone I've found the absolute altitudes are hopelessly out but the relative height gain measured between known points is ok. Have only used this a few times though; usually I remember to bring my watch.

Presumably the Garmin when it is back home and connected just looks up the measured height of known points on the route? Whereas in the field it's relying on the vertical angle of sight to the satellite(s) to make some kind of guesstimate. So it was explained to me at least.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#277 Re: Fell running
October 02, 2015, 09:36:59 am
I've had a 110 for 2-3 years and pretty happy with it. Elevations seem fine almost all the time and compared to mates that give more flattering numbers.

Ironically the one place it seems to struggle is just around the corner from home. On a road hill I use for bike reps the data always shows a small flat section and dip in a consistently graded climb. I've always assumed the GPS was doing some cross referencing to known (dodgy) mapping. It's consistently off and the hill is fairly open so it shouldn't really be struggling for a signal.

Similarly, just next door there's a steep trail I use for running reps to what you'd think would be a known spot height (top of Frodsham Hill you'll know). I work like a dog up here and it's around a 200' climb through tightly packed contours ...get back and look at the data and my 5x ascents come out with a tame profile and maybe 450' of climbing.

Apart from that, it's great! I'd have one again.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#278 Re: Fell running
October 02, 2015, 12:16:23 pm
That's good feedback Steve, thanks. I took it out last night for a blast on a local segment and around the park. Seems to work perfectly (and easy to get going too!).

Do you mean the steps that run parallel to Hoopla and Fred Nicole buttresses? I had a great hill reps session on there last week. Might have to get myself a decent head torch for winter to keep plugging away at these. Are you on Strava Steve? I've recently joined the cult and am enjoying it.

I think I'm about to take out an annual OS Maps online account for £17.95. As a Mac user, I think this is the only (?) way to see my runs overlaid on to OS maps. Nice interface....

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#279 Re: Fell running
October 02, 2015, 02:22:13 pm
Middle walk to the monument the steeper way. I know the steps you mean - 'Lunger Strike' on strava? I have to be feeling ballsy to do reps of those - proper good work-out. Mark Hartell used to use them before he raised the Lakes 24h record. Not clever enough to share my strava profile but joined the UKC group this week so you can see me there. Make allowances for oldness and slowness :P

Monolith

• forum hero
#280 Re: Fell running
October 05, 2015, 01:01:47 pm
I'm not clever enough to use UKC Steve ;)

Should we start a UKB Fell Running Strava page? Would anybody be keen?

Stabbsy

• junky
#281 Re: Fell running
October 05, 2015, 02:47:54 pm
I'm not clever enough to use UKC Steve ;)

Should we start a UKB Fell Running Strava page? Would anybody be keen?
If you build it, they will come...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#282 Re: Fell running
October 05, 2015, 02:51:51 pm
 :goodidea:

Monolith

• forum hero
#283 Re: Fell running
October 05, 2015, 03:00:04 pm
Done:

http://www.strava.com/clubs/ukbfellrunningposse

Join away punks

Disclaimer: The UKB Fell Running Posse is in no way affiliated to UKB, Shark Holdings or any other major enterprise. ;)

wintermute

• menacing presence
#284 Re: Fell running
October 05, 2015, 03:32:16 pm
A fine idea.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#285 Re: Fell running
October 05, 2015, 06:03:11 pm
Will get myself on Strava and be on it. Nice idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monolith

• forum hero
#286 Re: Fell running
October 05, 2015, 07:26:12 pm
Good to see folk getting involved!

The invitation could be extended to the 'one for the runners' thread if that's still active?

galpinos

• forum hero
#287 Re: Fell running
October 05, 2015, 07:55:49 pm

I'm in!

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#288 Re: Fell running
October 05, 2015, 08:25:26 pm
In!

Mart from Leek  :wave:

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#289 Re: Fell running
October 05, 2015, 08:48:56 pm
I'm in too! Just noticed a certain Mr Franklin in the group already, thought it was Vauxhall Conference not Premier League I was getting in to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graeme78

• player
#290 Re: Fell running
October 11, 2015, 07:17:35 pm
May I join then I can also see how crap I am compared to climbers who run as well as people who just run all the time.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#291 Re: Fell running
October 11, 2015, 08:02:47 pm
Retired in the Langdale Horseshoe race yesterday. There's a long list of excuses but ultimately my heart just wasn't in it. This has happened before and I've just jacked in during a race. Hard to put my finger on exactly why. I think maybe I'm still mentally tired from the UTPD back in August. The second I decided to jack it in and drop down to the start I started enjoying myself again. Guess the pressure was off then.
It was lovely day out on fells and great to see the top 5 all in contention coming of Blisco.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#292 Re: Fell running
October 12, 2015, 10:58:08 am
Retired in the Langdale Horseshoe race yesterday. There's a long list of excuses but ultimately my heart just wasn't in it. This has happened before and I've just jacked in during a race. Hard to put my finger on exactly why. I think maybe I'm still mentally tired from the UTPD back in August. The second I decided to jack it in and drop down to the start I started enjoying myself again. Guess the pressure was off then.
It was lovely day out on fells and great to see the top 5 all in contention coming of Blisco.
Sorry to hear that, no surprise about the UTPD still having an effect. More than once when racing, as soon as I've backed off I have really started to enjoy it as opposed to it feeling like burden; maybe that's the way to go is to trot round instead of going full bore.

In other news, I have got my entry for the Marsden to Edale in January accepted again, so if anyone else on here wants to join the fun it would be good to have someone to run with this year, not sure who from my club is in yet so rather not run it alone (not down to navigation, more someone to talk to during the six or so hours to alleviate boredom!)

Monolith

• forum hero
#293 Re: Fell running
October 12, 2015, 12:46:55 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed a nice day out in any event beast. I'm still working up to entering and hopefully next year will finally be the one.

Had a great day out at the Wasdale Show over the weekend and did the Kirk Fell race. Similarly, I had a decent sized list of excuses not to enter and in the end just decided to amble up it and enjoy the stunning views afforded by good visibility. Even saw Joss Naylor which was a great tick.

Graeme78

• player
#294 Re: Fell running
October 12, 2015, 01:30:36 pm

Hard lines. I was supposed to be racing, ended up just going up and taking pictures of the start and runners coming over the Crinkles.

Graeme78

• player
#295 Re: Fell running
October 12, 2015, 01:32:39 pm
Glad to hear you enjoyed a nice day out in any event beast. I'm still working up to entering and hopefully next year will finally be the one.

Had a great day out at the Wasdale Show over the weekend and did the Kirk Fell race. Similarly, I had a decent sized list of excuses not to enter and in the end just decided to amble up it and enjoy the stunning views afforded by good visibility. Even saw Joss Naylor which was a great tick.

Langdale's a champs race next year so make sure you get your entry in when they open. A mate of mine was saying there's no point going because it will be chaos at the start, but given as there was a field of about 400 this weekend I can't see it being much different at a champs race.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#296 Re: Fell running
October 12, 2015, 02:57:18 pm
Kirk Fell looks like a beast of an ascent to try and 'run' up. And Langdale looks like a monster of a race - glad you salvaged something good from the day. Breidden Hills for me, Shropshire/Welsh border. Tough little race and a clownish nav error put me amongst boulders, trees and a no man's land of brambles that I just didn't want to reverse. Blood was spilled. I've done it twice before so really no excuse. Anyone else doing the relays this weekend? To my surprise I scraped a place on the Helsby team (green vests) and will be plodding in for Leg 4.

wintermute

• menacing presence
#297 Re: Fell running
October 12, 2015, 03:33:35 pm
I was at Langdale on the weekend but felt like death after a few miles. Managed to drag myself round but was far from full speed and I can't say I enjoyed myself unfortunately. Shame as it was a cracking day.

I'm running for Bowland in the relays. Not sure what leg yet but looking like it'll be the long one. Looking forward to it. The half marathon on Sunday, less so.

Monolith

• forum hero
#298 Re: Fell running
October 12, 2015, 03:44:35 pm
Kirk Fell looks like a beast of an ascent to try and 'run' up.

Trust me, it is! Relentless. Definitely could have taken a fair amount of time off had I have been in nick. Stunning day in the region though and just a joy to be out.

I'm running for Bowland in the relays. Not sure what leg yet but looking like it'll be the long one. Looking forward to it. The half marathon on Sunday, less so.

Wasdale was my first race in Bowland colours wintermute. Recently joined so hope to meet you soon  :)

wintermute

• menacing presence
#299 Re: Fell running
October 12, 2015, 03:48:12 pm
I'm a newbie too and I've yet to run in the regal green and orange. Having to borrow a vest for the relays whilst they make one small enough for my svelte figure!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal