UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307709 times)

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#250 Re: Fell running
August 12, 2015, 06:52:43 am
Yes, last year we put three teams out (men's open, mixed team + vet 40), our strongest turning out to be the vets. Unfortunately we've had a couple of good Vets' leave this last year, so we'll be left with one male open team. We could happily put another men's open team in (possibility if the relays are undersubscribed) and a mixed team, but not with this years rules. I think all clubs will suffer, which is a real shame.

Stabbsy

• junky
#251 Re: Fell running
August 12, 2015, 01:59:57 pm
It's a tricky one - the race size is limited by the venue, so the organisers had to put some sort of quota in place which seems fair enough. The sport relies on the goodwill of landowners in many areas - particularly for us in the North York Moors - so we have to take their views into account. Like any quota system, it's imperfect and some are disadvantaged more than others (would 1st 150 teams to sign up be fairer?). If the venue could deal with the numbers, my guess is they would still allow multiple entries in categories and rely on the 2 'A' cat races and time cut-offs to limit event size and length.

The communication of the issues maybe hasn't been handled in the best way, but clubs lose out more because the total number of teams is down than because of the category changes. It will have most impact on the bigger clubs - Dark Peak and Calder will probably get half as many teams. We're a very small club from a fell running perspective (10-15 regulars, plus a few extras for big events like Calderdale relays), so it has little effect on us - 2 teams last year, maybe 2 this year if we we can get a few extras for a ladies team.

That said, it's easy for me to be objective because I'm not impacted. We will only enter one men's team and my inclusion in it depends purely on my performance in 3 weeks time, so it's in my hands!

Graeme78

• player
#252 Re: Fell running
August 12, 2015, 04:17:45 pm
It's a situation that isn't helped by the same people stirring the pot. Happened on the FRA forum and facebook who are anti-FRA. It all becomes a bit stale, I'm not a member of a club so it won't affect me, but I think that:
1. The FRA could communicate the problems a little more (I know they're the UKA or BA Fell Relay Championships, but they're effectively run by the FRA)
2. The same people who have the axe to grind over the safety debacle really need to get a new hobby. We all know you have a problem with the FRA, move on and go and do your English Hill Runners thing  >:(

galpinos

• forum hero
#253 Re: Fell running
August 13, 2015, 10:50:48 am
Not me, short on time and fitness at the mo. Will be trotting up Eccles Pike tomorrow night though.

Hmmm, I'm not even sure trotting does justice to the slow waddle up Eccles Pike that I managed, I even got beaten by a lad with only one shoe. The club had a good turn out and managed a Ladies 2nd, the weather was lovely and the food in the pub was good so a fun night all round. Charging down a steep tussocky slope on the edge of control (the only way for me to gain places, it certainly wasn't on the up) is good for the soul.

We had plenty of banter from the marshals as I run for Chorlton runners (SW Manchester Suburb) so we got lots of, "This is a site, do I need to explain how to use it?", "Shouldn't you be at a Parkrun" etc......

Graeme78

• player
#254 Re: Fell running
August 13, 2015, 05:08:55 pm

We had plenty of banter from the marshals as I run for Chorlton runners (SW Manchester Suburb) so we got lots of, "This is a site, do I need to explain how to use it?", "Shouldn't you be at a Parkrun" etc......

Do you know Andy Ford?

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#255 Re: Fell running
August 13, 2015, 05:38:12 pm
Oh dear, that relay thread has got a bit antsy. I've put my hat in the ring for the Helsby Vets squadra and I'll leave it at that. The first one I did in the Clwyds only had 120 teams so it might not be the predicted disaster.

Tegg's Nose was hot - grateful for the water stop put on at short notice. Hopefully Chipping next w/e.

galpinos

• forum hero
#256 Re: Fell running
August 13, 2015, 10:33:13 pm
 :icon_beerchug:
Do you know Andy Ford?

Yes, though not very well. I've only been out with Chorlton Black Sheep (the fell running group) a couple of times so only really to say hi to.

Graeme78

• player
#257 Re: Fell running
August 14, 2015, 02:08:15 pm
Good bloke.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#258 Re: Fell running
August 27, 2015, 01:16:09 pm
Lovely trail running film on Suilven.
Tom's a loose mate of mine - the boy done good :)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#259 Re: Fell running
August 27, 2015, 01:33:40 pm
Not me, short on time and fitness at the mo. Will be trotting up Eccles Pike tomorrow night though.

Hmmm, I'm not even sure trotting does justice to the slow waddle up Eccles Pike that I managed, I even got beaten by a lad with only one shoe. The club had a good turn out and managed a Ladies 2nd, the weather was lovely and the food in the pub was good so a fun night all round. Charging down a steep tussocky slope on the edge of control (the only way for me to gain places, it certainly wasn't on the up) is good for the soul.

That's got me misty eyed and nostalgic.  EP was the first race I ran back in '93 and why I ended up moving to Buxworth three years later.  I must have run up and down the Pike with Banya and then Bear at least once a week from '96 until 2011.  It'll always be my favourite hill...  :)

galpinos

• forum hero
#260 Re: Fell running
September 18, 2015, 08:20:04 am

If anyone is at the Viking Chase in the North Yorks Moors this weekend (Stabbsy? I think you've done it a couple of times) I'm be the only Chorlton Runner there (black and gold vest), say hi!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#261 Re: Fell running
September 21, 2015, 04:27:15 pm
Hope it went well Galpinos?

I'm off to do the Kirk Fell race at the Wasdale Shepherds meet this year. Made a bit of a birthday weekend out of it and taking the new border collie pup along to inspire her at the trials. Bit of an esoteric race so doubt anyone here will be doing it. If so, come say hello!

galpinos

• forum hero
#262 Re: Fell running
September 21, 2015, 05:40:12 pm
I survived. Managed to beat last years time by a poor 40 seconds but was two places further back. Was in the mix for the first half but lack of running meant I was living on borrowed time and shipped a lot of places in the second half.

Lovely race though and on the hill just above my mother in law's house.

Stabbsy

• junky
#263 Re: Fell running
September 22, 2015, 03:17:30 pm

If anyone is at the Viking Chase in the North Yorks Moors this weekend (Stabbsy? I think you've done it a couple of times) I'm be the only Chorlton Runner there (black and gold vest), say hi!

I didn't run this year, but just seen the results. One of my clubmates got the win - he's going from strength to strength this year. Good effort on improving on last year's time. I'd guess it was good conditions for running? - I was a bit further east, bouldering at Round Crag on Blakey Ridge (bit spread out, but worth a visit if you're in the area).

Saving myself for Rivington Trail Half in 10 days, then maybe the Windgather race from Buxton the following weekend (depending on how I recover!). Then it's my last big race of the year - Leg 4 of the fell relays at Pendle.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#264 Re: Fell running
September 22, 2015, 05:38:24 pm
That Rivvy route is one you will enjoy.

I'm taking a few months off to get back to rock!

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#265 Re: Fell running
September 23, 2015, 10:42:43 pm
Saving myself for Rivington Trail Half in 10 days, then maybe the Windgather race from Buxton the following weekend (depending on how I recover!). Then it's my last big race of the year - Leg 4 of the fell relays at Pendle.

Head's been in the shed a little this year where racing has been concerned, but if I'd spotted the Rivington Trail race ealier I might have thrown my name into the ring, especially with it being on my old home turf.

Doing a recce of the final section of the 3 Peaks race tomorrow from Ribblehead, over Ingleborough and back to Horton In Ribblesdale, which may well test my navigation skills given the claggy forecast. Should be good practice for the Pendlel relays, where I've been pulled in for Leg 2 (can't navigate for peanuts!). Luckily my partner is a diamond in that respect ;-)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#266 Re: Fell running
September 24, 2015, 08:47:47 am
I always seem to get lost and end up in the bog heading up to Ingleborough!    :-[

Cuckoo

#267 Re: Fell running
September 25, 2015, 01:43:02 pm
That Suilven video is ace.  :clap2:

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#268 Re: Fell running
September 25, 2015, 06:57:56 pm
If you boys fancy a longer one in the dales, you should go for the fellsman. Its a cracking day/night out :)

Monolith

• forum hero
#269 Re: Fell running
October 01, 2015, 01:54:53 pm
A certain dashing young gent on the forum is offering me a Garmin Forerunner 110 for sale. I now understand a little bit more about barometric altimeters and I just wondered by what margin people have found non-barometric versions to be out by when you've accurately known a given elevation (as in the watch above).

I'm not looking to rely on this information in the mountains with said watch but it would be good to understand this issue in a bit more detail. I've also read up on elevation smoothing and how it occurs post run.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#270 Re: Fell running
October 01, 2015, 04:16:26 pm
I find that GPS altimeters for tracking running height gain to be pretty reliable, especially when running in the countryside. In fact, it's usually most out when running in big cities, London is often terrible and can cause your workout to incorporate 100's of m of up and down when in fact almost flat. Can only assume it's the buildings.

Also worth pointing out that barometric altimeters rely on you setting them fairly often and at a known reference, i.e. you know your altitude at a point on the OS map to input. Can be a bit of a nuisance to be honest.

Lastly, any questions I normally have on technology running, biking or swimming kit, I go on a site called DC Rainmaker. Google it and he has loads of reviews of current and past watches so I'm certain there will be a review of the FR110 on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#271 Re: Fell running
October 01, 2015, 04:18:34 pm
Here you go, saved you the hassle;

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/07/garmin-forerunner-110-in-depth-product.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monolith

• forum hero
#272 Re: Fell running
October 01, 2015, 04:59:48 pm
Bigtub, that's brilliant thank you. Just the sort of opinion piece I was looking for. That review is a fantastic piece of writing by the way - very in depth.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#273 Re: Fell running
October 01, 2015, 06:48:32 pm
A certain dashing young gent on the forum is offering me a Garmin Forerunner 110 for sale. I now understand a little bit more about barometric altimeters and I just wondered by what margin people have found non-barometric versions to be out by when you've accurately known a given elevation (as in the watch above).

I'm not looking to rely on this information in the mountains with said watch but it would be good to understand this issue in a bit more detail. I've also read up on elevation smoothing and how it occurs post run.

I actually find them poor when on the hills,but once downloaded at home onto garmin connect or similar they are very accurate

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#274 Re: Fell running
October 01, 2015, 09:20:44 pm

I actually find them poor when on the hills,but once downloaded at home onto garmin connect or similar they are very accurate
Sorry, that's pretty much what I meant too, I never use it to assess altitude when running but if you look at the route profile and highest point reached, and compare to OS, it is basically spot on. FWIW I use a Suunto not a Garmin but expect them all to be in the same ballpark when it comes to accuracy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal