Fell running (Read 307711 times)

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#125 Re: Fell running
September 08, 2014, 08:26:59 pm
Shelf Moor results are up :-

http://fellrunner.org.uk/results/race14/shelfmoor2014.pdf

Well pleased with 12th and my legs feel surprisingly OK!

Great effort Neil! I can certainly feel it in my legs today - though possibly not helped with spending the rest of the day in various beer gardens! Nice day though, so not complaining. Cheer for saying high on the warm down.

The climb seemed to go on forever, not quite my strong point so lost a few places, but pleased with passing some of them on the way back down  :tease: and finishing 28th.

I had a chat with the Staffs Moorland guy (Mini?) on the way back to the car after.....

I nearly didn't say hi - I've never seen so many 'Steve' looking blokes in green Helsby vests, good team turnout! Lucky I picked the right one.

galpinos

• forum hero
#126 Re: Fell running
September 17, 2014, 07:39:51 pm
 :goodidea:anyone doing the Viking Chase this weekend?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#127 Re: Fell running
September 17, 2014, 08:52:20 pm
X runner for me..

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#128 Re: Fell running
September 17, 2014, 09:04:36 pm
Well, entry gone in this morning so let's see if I'm accepted. Gulp.

Looks like we are in. Time to panic!!!!

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#129 Re: Fell running
September 22, 2014, 11:48:39 am
Small plug for the King John's Castle this weekend just gone. Great running over the Clwyds. Free soup from the community run pub and loads of prizes, all for 4 quid. Not many there this time (hey, top 20!) hate to see it disappear off the calendar.

Stabbsy

• junky
#130 Re: Fell running
September 22, 2014, 12:44:09 pm
:goodidea:anyone doing the Viking Chase this weekend?
Hadn't spotted your post beforehand, but I was there. Legs were a bit tired after doing the road relay champs in Warrington on Saturday, but had a surprisingly good race. It was one of my first fell races a year ago and managed to knock 7 minutes of last year's time - just missed out on top 10 unfortunately, but we won the team prize. Did you do it?

galpinos

• forum hero
#131 Re: Fell running
September 22, 2014, 01:33:25 pm
I did do it, and managed to knock 9 mins of last years’ time. I've only really been road running so pretty pleased. I've had a guess at your position from the results and your user name and see you came in nearly 10 mins ahead of me. Great effort. I had a target of sub 1hr 20 with a vague hope of sub 1hr 15 so pretty chuffed.

Great friendly event as ever and a perfect complement to Stokesley Agricultural Show the day before.

If you got cheered by a random group of adults and kids at the point the way out and way back courses cross between Kirby Bank and Broughton Bank, that was my family and in-laws. They were very impressed with the speed and composure of those at the front.

galpinos

• forum hero
#132 Re: Fell running
September 22, 2014, 01:37:32 pm
........be prepared to be beaten by some proper old duffers.....

I had to take my own advice this weekend as the winner of the V60 category (nearer 70 than 60 he admitted at the prize giving) overtook me on the climb to the fourth "peak", giving me a pat on the shoulder and saying, "Well done Lad, keep them legs turning" before disappearing into the distance!

Stabbsy

• junky
#133 Re: Fell running
September 22, 2014, 02:15:07 pm
........be prepared to be beaten by some proper old duffers.....

I had to take my own advice this weekend as the winner of the V60 category (nearer 70 than 60 he admitted at the prize giving) overtook me on the climb to the fourth "peak", giving me a pat on the shoulder and saying, "Well done Lad, keep them legs turning" before disappearing into the distance!
I was similar - the V50 winner was from my club and finished just in front of me. It was pretty close all the way along the outward leg, but he left me for dead dropping off Wainstones down to Clay Bank. I closed up a bit on the return leg, but would have needed an extra mile to catch him. I've still not managed to beat him on the fells, largely because he descends like a madman!

That was the last race in our summer series and the winter series starts in a few weeks. If anyone's after any races to do, they're pretty much every 2 weeks until New Year, then starting again in February. I'd recommend the Guisborough 3 Tops in November (which I think is going to be an English Champs race in 2015) and Guisborough Moors in April.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#134 Re: Fell running
September 22, 2014, 02:20:33 pm
Good work guys!

Regrettably I've been having ITB issues at the side of my knee prior to the past fortnight from road running. I'm not so sure my original grand designs to do The Langdale race will be possible now but I'm going to go run a section of it anyway asap.

Small plug for the King John's Castle this weekend just gone. Great running over the Clwyds. Free soup from the community run pub and loads of prizes, all for 4 quid. Not many there this time (hey, top 20!) hate to see it disappear off the calendar.

Hi Steve, hope all's well? Is there perchance a map you can point me to online to look at this course? I'm planning to hit Clwyd quite frequently and would love to get some routes pencilled in to attack.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures

galpinos

• forum hero
#136 Re: Fell running
September 23, 2014, 09:49:38 pm
Any advice on bumbags?

Pete Bland, Rock and Run Hipsac Superlite or jazzy OMM/Inov8 effort?

I'm leaning towards the Rock and Run, light and simple. The OMM/Inov8 bags look a bit faffy with too many extras. Any experiences?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#137 Re: Fell running
September 23, 2014, 09:57:14 pm
OK,  after the endurer dash this weekend my summer long affair with obstacle course races comes to an end. I need a real low end punter fell run to aim for.. the gritstone series seem to have dropped the burbage skyline event.. which would have been perfect ( know the place like the back of my hand, no savage hills, short)... preferably in the Peak.. what's the knowledge? looking for a race where you don't need all this bum bag kit... I'm ok if i have to wait until Spring.. what do you guys recommend??

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#138 Re: Fell running
September 24, 2014, 09:28:42 am
I read that as Burbage Skyline will still be on, just not part of the Gritstone series? It was a big field with a fairly congested start when I last did it and it's got bigger since.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#139 Re: Fell running
September 24, 2014, 12:25:48 pm
Any advice on bumbags?

Pete Bland, Rock and Run Hipsac Superlite or jazzy OMM/Inov8 effort?

I'm leaning towards the Rock and Run, light and simple. The OMM/Inov8 bags look a bit faffy with too many extras. Any experiences?

I have a OMM 3L waistpouch, and it fits my needs. It can fit all of the FRA kit requirements (coat, trousers, hat, gloves etc...) plus water if I need it. I like the compression straps too, useful for attaching a map externally but also for keeping everything snug if it's half full.

... looking for a race where you don't need all this bum bag kit... I'm ok if i have to wait until Spring.. what do you guys recommend??

At this time of year, I doubt any race will guarantee not needing to take some kit prior to the day. Even then, some spring races may require some kit, depending how cautious they are.

Have a look here; http://fellrunner.org.uk/races.php for races up coming. If you want a short easy race, look for categories that end with an S (for short), prefixed with and A means steep, B means not so steep, C meaning fairly flat (there are technical reasons on each of these, this is just a quick lunchtime post). Alternatively, have a look at Lakeland Trail runs, these tend not to need any kit being well marshalled and reasonably low level.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#140 Re: Fell running
September 24, 2014, 12:42:22 pm
OK,  after the endurer dash this weekend my summer long affair with obstacle course races comes to an end. I need a real low end punter fell run to aim for.. the gritstone series seem to have dropped the burbage skyline event.. which would have been perfect ( know the place like the back of my hand, no savage hills, short)... preferably in the Peak.. what's the knowledge? looking for a race where you don't need all this bum bag kit... I'm ok if i have to wait until Spring.. what do you guys recommend??

http://www.curbarprimary.co.uk/the-curbar-commotion-fell-race/

My wife who does a lot of fell running ran the race route of this the other day and said it was decent

Stevie

• regular
#141 Re: Fell running
September 24, 2014, 12:46:01 pm
Fat Doc - you should check out the Litton Christmas Cracker Fell Race, it's new this year and runs around cragx/Rubicon etc. Think it's the 14th of December. Any race associated with the FRA will mean you should come prepared with the required kit (this includes things like Burbage Skyline). However, if the organisers deem the weather to be fair enough and the course profile and length aren't huge they may say on the day that the extra kit is not necessary.

Galpinos - The OMM 3 litre bumbag is great. It's what I've used for all my fell races. Not fancy at all, you've got the main pouch with a  key clip inside, and 2 small mesh pockets on either side of the main pouch (the fit gels in well). I like the elastic cord and clips, it means if the pouch isn't full you can compact it down to stop stuff bouncing about and it's built to last.

Monolith

• forum hero
#142 Re: Fell running
September 24, 2014, 01:21:08 pm
Galpinos - The OMM 3 litre bumbag is great. It's what I've used for all my fell races. Not fancy at all, you've got the main pouch with a  key clip inside, and 2 small mesh pockets on either side of the main pouch (the fit gels in well). I like the elastic cord and clips, it means if the pouch isn't full you can compact it down to stop stuff bouncing about and it's built to last.

And at 17 rips on Rock n Run at present. Will pick one up myself soon.

galpinos

• forum hero
#143 Re: Fell running
September 24, 2014, 08:19:54 pm
 The OMM ones seem a good deal at £17 but they don't have the old school homemade look and hardcore cache of the PB/R&R but seem to be the bumbag of choice!

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#144 Re: Fell running
September 24, 2014, 09:23:27 pm
Burbage Skyline is at the start of the summer season, April or May time (I should really know as I ran it). There's the Curbar Commotion in a few weeks time, then Leg it round Lathkilldale some time in December I think which is a really nice race and impossible to get lost on, and just one savage hill at half way.

Edit. Just seen your post Bonjoy, yes Curbar race should be good.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:30:00 pm by bigtuboflard »

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#145 Re: Fell running
September 24, 2014, 09:28:48 pm
Burbage Skyline was 6 May...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#146 Re: Fell running
September 25, 2014, 07:26:19 pm
Thanks all, I'll get an itinery sorted.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#147 Re: Fell running
September 25, 2014, 09:55:50 pm
Kinder Downfall, usually at the end of April is good. 10 miles up Williams Clough along the edge past the downfall and then down the grassy slopes back to Hayfield.

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~temples/hc/

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#148 Re: Fell running
September 25, 2014, 11:02:06 pm
My local area, but much neglected and well worth a go:  http://www.trail26.com/ultratrail26/rivington.html

I've run bits (and all) of this route for longer than I dare recall and it's a really good loop.  Get to it!

EDIT:  I know, it's trail not fell.  But a great day out nonetheless.

Monolith

• forum hero
#149 Re: Fell running
September 26, 2014, 11:42:43 am
You must be on a mega miles diet at the moment G!? How's it all going running-wise for you?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal