UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307725 times)

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#100 Re: Fell running
September 03, 2014, 11:24:47 am
I use the little blue OMM 3l bag for most short and medium things (up to ultra with good food stops). Not done any of the Lakeland Longs though. I've also got the OMM 15l Ultra sac but rarely use it. If you fancy any of the local-ish shorter Clwyd races like the midweek Summer Trots, the kit requirement is often waived. Take it all but you probably won't need it. Capri sun's not a bad shout actually, if I take a drink I use a soft collapsible bottle so it doesn't slosh around and take up space.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#101 Re: Fell running
September 03, 2014, 12:42:43 pm
Thanks very much for this information all.

I'm starting to figure that if I went with something like the OMM 6l pack or the Innov8 3.5l with central 500ml bottle holder, I'll cover all bases and for shorter runs I'd be able to compress it down. I can't think of anything worse than gasping for a drink with several miles still to go!

Those Clif block things are really good. I've taken them out before for days at the crag and rate them. These, a water bottle and some Capri Suns for packability. Sorted.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#102 Re: Fell running
September 03, 2014, 12:54:25 pm
Good effort there folks!

If I may ask, for carrying the full approved FRA kit, is anybody aware if I'm likely to get it all in a 3l waist pouch such as the ones produced by OMM and Innov8? I saw the 6l OMM one with a bottle holder but like to travel as light as possible.

On the hydration front, is it possible to buy gels that fulfil both a carb/electrolyte function as well as hydrating one? I was thinking a few Capri Suns might pack away well into a small bumbag but I don't know. Perhaps taking a bottle is necessary/desirable for races over 12 miles?

I have the OMM 3L waistpack, which takes all FRA kit (including coat and trousers) and can also squeeze in a Platypus 500ml soft bottle with a 'squeeze and suck' cap (sorry, don't know the technical term). So in answer to your question - yes!

My preference to the OMM Waistpack are the compression straps which keep everything snug if the pack is half full i.e. coat only. You can also strap a map to the outside too if needed.

I personally don't take water for anything less than 1hr 30 mins, but that has been learnt over experience.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#103 Re: Fell running
September 03, 2014, 06:13:06 pm
Outside in Hathersage are selling the squeezy bottles, or at least they were not long back when I bought a couple of Ultimate Direction ones

Graeme78

• player
#104 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 11:22:00 am
First post in a long time.
I'd say everything that Plattsy says is pretty much spot on.
Personally, I wouldn't go for Langdale as my first fell race, at least without a recce. Couple of reasons, it's as rough as in some places, the traverse under Esk Pike is grim, the bog across Martcrag Moor can be a man eater (take it from someone who knows), lastly it's in October, weather can be changeable to say the least. I did it on a gorgeous day and nearly passed out from exhaustion, spent the next two days re-hydrating. Then there have been years when full kit has been required from the off. The route across the Crinkles can be a bitch if you don't know the way and it's easy to get lost going from the Crinkles to 'Blisco. There again you could just ignore all that and just go for it and be absolutely fine.
Kit wise, I'd suggest Mudclaws, OMM kit will see you fine. On a longer race such as this, you might want to carry a small rucsac (up to 12l will be fine, any bigger and you take too much kit.) Hydration and knowing what you can eat while running are key. Experiment while training not on the day of the race. Clif blocks are great, but you may want something proper as the race goes on. At last year's tour of Pendle I couldn't face any more Shot Blocks and jelly babies were all I wanted. That and a litre of water.
Langdale can be a long day out so get your training right and fuel right and you'll be away.

If you want a taster of what Langdale will be like, Three Shires Race from Little Langdale is on the 20th September. Do that and Langdale will be a piece of cake. Whatever you do enjoy your running, fell running is fantastic, from an evening's run over the moors in the dark to big mountain days I found it knocked climbing out of the park :-)

psychomansam

• forum hero
#105 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 02:38:07 pm
Whatever you do enjoy your running, fell running is fantastic, from an evening's run over the moors in the dark to big mountain days I found it knocked climbing out of the park :-)

For me they're both great. And they can complement one another really well. I can be fucked from a 20+ mile fell/trail run, and yet can still climb fine the next day. Or can have my body screaming from 5 days on of bouldering, and can go for a great run (don't underestimate the Font forest as a running venue).

Another nice thing is that weather that's shit for climbing is generally perfect for running. Other threads on here have been attempting to decry running as poor training for climbing. For me, it can help budge some fat, but it's essentially irrelevant. Running is fucking awesome. Most people don't know this, because they've not tried fell running and because they've not pushed through long enough to get past what can be a tough initial curve for some. Fine by me, don't want too many fuckers out on the moors after all.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#106 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 03:16:13 pm
Whatever you do enjoy your running, fell running is fantastic, from an evening's run over the moors in the dark to big mountain days I found it knocked climbing out of the park :-)

For me they're both great. And they can complement one another really well. I can be fucked from a 20+ mile fell/trail run, and yet can still climb fine the next day. Or can have my body screaming from 5 days on of bouldering, and can go for a great run (don't underestimate the Font forest as a running venue).

Another nice thing is that weather that's shit for climbing is generally perfect for running. Other threads on here have been attempting to decry running as poor training for climbing. For me, it can help budge some fat, but it's essentially irrelevant. Running is fucking awesome. Most people don't know this, because they've not tried fell running and because they've not pushed through long enough to get past what can be a tough initial curve for some. Fine by me, don't want too many fuckers out on the moors after all.
Couldn't agree more  :2thumbsup:

Fell running has really made a huge difference in my fitness as well as general well being. I find it a perfect way to clear my head from a day in the office, something which climbing only does when I get outside, which isn't as often as I'd like. I'd agree on the tough early curve too, many people find the thought of running daunting, try the odd 5km run here and there, perhaps train for the odd 10km but never really go often enough to get "used" to it. I was out this week up to Stanage and kind of realised after the first few km's that it was "easy"; not in the sense of it being a stroll, but I am now fit enough to enjoy hitting a certain pace and being able to hold it for as long as I like whilst still feeling like you're covering good ground. Its great.

To be honest, whilst I love training hard at any sport, I can't see myself going back to training really hard for climbing any more (and I trained REALLY hard) when I was in my late teens, but I can do enough running to keep myself both fit, and hold a respectable place in local races.

Graeme78

• player
#107 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 03:42:47 pm

You're a better man than me, usually after long stuff I feel like crap the day after, probably because my recovery drink tends to be five pints of bitter  ;) that or tea

Oh yeah and don't try and tell too many people about the benefits of running, the moors are much better when there's no one around  ;D

Couldn't agree more  :2thumbsup:

Fell running has really made a huge difference in my fitness as well as general well being. I find it a perfect way to clear my head from a day in the office, something which climbing only does when I get outside, which isn't as often as I'd like. I'd agree on the tough early curve too, many people find the thought of running daunting, try the odd 5km run here and there, perhaps train for the odd 10km but never really go often enough to get "used" to it. I was out this week up to Stanage and kind of realised after the first few km's that it was "easy"; not in the sense of it being a stroll, but I am now fit enough to enjoy hitting a certain pace and being able to hold it for as long as I like whilst still feeling like you're covering good ground. Its great.

To be honest, whilst I love training hard at any sport, I can't see myself going back to training really hard for climbing any more (and I trained REALLY hard) when I was in my late teens, but I can do enough running to keep myself both fit, and hold a respectable place in local races.

Agree with that, I loved climbing when I did it and still look back on it with many happy memories. If I went back it, it would be bimbling around easy stuff at my local(ish) crags like Widdop and The Bridestones now.

Running on the moors though  :2thumbsup:

Oh and I would recommend Long Distance Walkers Association events as a good substitute to a long fell race too.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#108 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 03:56:22 pm
Oh and I would recommend Long Distance Walkers Association events as a good substitute to a long fell race too.
LDWA events are great, in fact any longish routes like that I really enjoy. Its nine edges challenge from Ladybower reservoir this next weekend, taking in all the main grit edges in Derbyshire, plus a free pint included in the entry at the Robin Hood pub at the end. I've done the Swaledale marathon event (mixed runners and walkers) a good few years ago too which I really enjoyed

Graeme78

• player
#109 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 04:01:19 pm
LDWA events are great, in fact any longish routes like that I really enjoy. Its nine edges challenge from Ladybower reservoir this next weekend, taking in all the main grit edges in Derbyshire, plus a free pint included in the entry at the Robin Hood pub at the end. I've done the Swaledale marathon event (mixed runners and walkers) a good few years ago too which I really enjoyed

Some of the ones at the start of the year can be a bitch to get on, like the Hebden, from Mytholmroyd or the Three Shires in the peak. Couple of guys I know just treat them as a series of food stops with a jog in between   :)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#110 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 04:06:53 pm

Some of the ones at the start of the year can be a bitch to get on, like the Hebden, from Mytholmroyd or the Three Shires in the peak. Couple of guys I know just treat them as a series of food stops with a jog in between   :)
I've heard that the High Peak Marathon is almost impossible to get on similarly. Not heard of the Hebden one, will have a look at that as not raced in that part of the country before.

Graeme78

• player
#111 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 04:18:01 pm
Bloke I know reckons the HP marathon is pretty much a closed shop now, he's only ever done it as a substitute.

Here's the link for the Hebden: http://www.alangreenwood.biz/th2015/index.html entries are on SI entries.
Basically it's either 16 or 22 miles on the footpath with about 3500-4000' of ascent. A good morning's work.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#112 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 05:41:03 pm
Bloke I know reckons the HP marathon is pretty much a closed shop now, he's only ever done it as a substitute.

Here's the link for the Hebden: http://www.alangreenwood.biz/th2015/index.html entries are on SI entries.
Basically it's either 16 or 22 miles on the footpath with about 3500-4000' of ascent. A good morning's work.
Cheers Graeme, I heard pretty much the same about the HPM too. I'll have a good think about the Hebden race, sounds exactly the sort of race I like

Plattsy

• forum hero
#113 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 06:53:23 pm
BTOL I ran the Hebden this year for the first time. An 8o'clock start in the pissing rain and lots of low cloud making navigation really difficult. Absolutely grim. I moaned about it at the time but on reflection I really enjoyed it. Lots of food en route and like Graeme says it was really quite relaxed.

Also ran the Haworth Hobble this year. That's a brilliant route. Loved it and almost pulled out after 18 miles. So glad one of the marshalls pretty told me I wasn't retiring. For my first ultra I don't think  I could've picked a better one. Well recommended.

The fell races in and around the Calder Valley are tough. They seem steeper than the Peak District races, but that's probably just in my head. The Ovenden, Flower Scar, Hebden Bridge and Cragg Vale races were all really enjoyable last year and nice to run somewhere new.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#114 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 07:28:28 pm
The inspiration and standard of sound, helpful advice on this thread is pure class.

I'm voting this the best thread of the year....

On a personal note this thread has inspired me to do a bit more... I'm crap compared to u lot.. But I've now done 10 miles in 74 mins around the Sheffield round walk and am looking to do some of the easier gritstone series stuff.. Got me eye on the burbage valley one. Scared.. Looking at times I'm gonna be happy to come in anything but last..

Got a couple of 10km of obstacle course runs left this month... Then I'll focus on the pure running... Again, thanks everyone... You have inspired a middle aged park runner to look to the hills. :2thumbsup:

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#115 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 08:35:57 pm
Burbage skyline? You'll be long way from last doing 10 miles in that time. Check the fra calendar and get stuck in. It's a friendly scene, you'll enjoy it :)
Green helsby vest tomorrow at shelf moor if anyone wants to do the special ukb handshake.

Graeme78

• player
#116 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 10:04:37 pm

The fell races in and around the Calder Valley are tough. They seem steeper than the Peak District races, but that's probably just in my head. The Ovenden, Flower Scar, Hebden Bridge and Cragg Vale races were all really enjoyable last year and nice to run somewhere new.

No that's not in your head, they are steep. Did Flower Scar last year and it's brutal. That last climb up the steps is a bitch. Good value for a 6 mile race though, I fell over and landed on my chin in the last 400 yards, cost me at least two places  >:(

psychomansam

• forum hero
#117 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 10:34:12 pm

You're a better man than me, usually after long stuff I feel like crap the day after, probably because my recovery drink tends to be five pints of bitter  ;) that or tea
I can seriously recommend having a pint of milk before the other stuff. Well worth it as far as recovery goes. And it's quite easy to leave a ~45p milk pint bottle in the car for when you're done.

And yes, there's nothing like empty moors for emptying the mind of all the shit of the day/week.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#118 Re: Fell running
September 06, 2014, 10:41:05 pm
I'm crap compared to u lot.. But I've now done 10 miles in 74 mins around the Sheffield round walk and am looking to do some of the easier gritstone series stuff.. Got me eye on the burbage valley one. Scared.. Looking at times I'm gonna be happy to come in anything but last..

Got a couple of 10km of obstacle course runs left this month... Then I'll focus on the pure running... Again, thanks everyone... You have inspired a middle aged park runner to look to the hills. :2thumbsup:

Well I wish I could do 10 miles that fast. I've no idea how fast I could do 10 miles really, but I know I could&should improve my running by doing some speed-work. I've been focussing on long distances. Did a sub 6 mile on a short run the other day and thought 'ooo, that was fun' (before then going up a very steep hill considerably slower).
Went for a long run with a mate recently who's a bit quicker and fitter than me. He's living down south and road/trail running. He was ahead the whole way until we came to a long section of moorland heather. Hehe. Still, be nice to catch him on the trails  ;)

Stabbsy

• junky
#119 Re: Fell running
September 08, 2014, 12:09:32 pm
Shelf Moor results are up :-

http://fellrunner.org.uk/results/race14/shelfmoor2014.pdf

Well pleased with 12th and my legs feel surprisingly OK!

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#120 Re: Fell running
September 08, 2014, 01:09:11 pm
Shelf Moor results are up :-

http://fellrunner.org.uk/results/race14/shelfmoor2014.pdf

Well pleased with 12th and my legs feel surprisingly OK!
Great result! I'd be very happy with anything top third of a field let alone top quarter.

On a different note (and race), i marshalled the Totley Exterminator yesterday at Hathersage Church CP, so hope those that came through appreciated our efficient water provision and supply of jelly babies  :)

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#121 Re: Fell running
September 08, 2014, 01:14:21 pm
Oh nice, you were just after my mate Jim who's going really well at the moment. To my shame I was troubling the bottom half of the results in 59th. I had a chat with the Staffs Moorland guy (Mini?) on the way back to the car after. Good event, long climb though! At least I got ahead of the 3-legged dog.

chris20

• menacing presence
#122 Re: Fell running
September 08, 2014, 02:39:45 pm
On a different note (and race), i marshalled the Totley Exterminator yesterday at Hathersage Church CP, so hope those that came through appreciated our efficient water provision and supply of jelly babies  :)

I appreciated the efficient water provision although at the time I was probably thinking how bad the climb up Mitchell field would be.  I finished it nearly 3 minutes quicker than last year and thought never again but now I think I'll be back next year, aching a lot today though

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#123 Re: Fell running
September 08, 2014, 02:52:56 pm

I appreciated the efficient water provision although at the time I was probably thinking how bad the climb up Mitchell field would be.  I finished it nearly 3 minutes quicker than last year and thought never again but now I think I'll be back next year, aching a lot today though
Good effort Chris, any time improvement is good but 3 minutes is a fair old chunk. That pull up to Mitchell Field is a slog though even when fresh.

I think we probably could have done with more water out on the course as I believe the CP before mine ran out, and we only survived by commandeering a garden tap from an old lady up the road.

I've not raced it before too so look forward to it next year hopefully.

chris20

• menacing presence
#124 Re: Fell running
September 08, 2014, 03:17:15 pm

Good effort Chris, any time improvement is good but 3 minutes is a fair old chunk. That pull up to Mitchell Field is a slog though even when fresh.

I think we probably could have done with more water out on the course as I believe the CP before mine ran out, and we only survived by commandeering a garden tap from an old lady up the road.

I've not raced it before too so look forward to it next year hopefully.

Thanks.  It is a great route but probably more enjoyable if you're not pushing for a time especially on a day like yesterday.  I'm counting it as good training for Langdale

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal