UKBouldering.com

SD card music nightmare (Read 2330 times)

fried

• forum hero
SD card music nightmare
July 12, 2014, 02:43:35 pm
I've transfered my entire music collection onto an SD card to put into my new cheapo car stereo. Unfortunately all the files are in folders and my stereo can't read into them.

Is there an easier way than transferring/ opening all the files (10000) by hand?

Thanks in advance.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: SD card music nightmare
July 12, 2014, 02:48:00 pm
A long shot - but on your PC do a search (in regular file explorer) for *.mp3 (assuming they are all mp3 files - if not replace with the correct file format). This will list all 10k of your songs in the search contents. Select them all - then copy to the new location...?

Might not work but worth a shot...

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: SD card music nightmare
July 12, 2014, 02:54:16 pm
Stack Exchange is great for things like this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21246737/batch-file-to-move-all-subfolder-files-up-then-delete-empty-subfolders

Obviously be careful how you use the above as you could do some damage if you set the wrong folder as %root%.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: SD card music nightmare
July 12, 2014, 02:55:29 pm
And I bet there is a single line unix /linux command to do exactly this (you know who I think will answer this... ;)  ).

fried

• forum hero
#4 Re: SD card music nightmare
July 12, 2014, 02:57:06 pm
A long shot - but on your PC do a search (in regular file explorer) for *.mp3 (assuming they are all mp3 files - if not replace with the correct file format). This will list all 10k of your songs in the search contents. Select them all - then copy to the new location...?

Might not work but worth a shot...

Genius  :clap2: worked a treat

Stack Exchange is great for things like this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21246737/batch-file-to-move-all-subfolder-files-up-then-delete-empty-subfolders

Obviously be careful how you use the above as you could do some damage if you set the wrong folder as %root%.

I'll look into this my collection is a mess and needs sorting out.

And I bet there is a single line unix /linux command to do exactly this (you know who I think will answer this... ;)  ).

:whistle:

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: SD card music nightmare
July 12, 2014, 03:17:03 pm
excellent!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: SD card music nightmare
July 14, 2014, 07:26:32 am
Code: [Select]
cp -r {*,.??*} /dest && rm -rf

Copies (cp) all files within the current directory (*) (including hidden files beginning with '.' but with at least two characters if its hidden '.??*' prevents traversing up to higher level directories) recursively (-r)  to the folder '/dest' once thats complete (&&) then remove (rm) all files/folders recursively (-r) and without asking (f).

If you're mp3's are messy and not tagged correctly, but in structured folders then before moving them you could consider using something like EasyTag which will attempt to tag them appropriately.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal