UKBouldering.com

A solution looking for a problem (Read 4108 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
A solution looking for a problem
June 18, 2014, 03:59:12 pm

:shrug: :wank:

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1 Re: A solution looking for a problem
June 18, 2014, 04:20:08 pm

:shrug: :wank:

Will this mean that Hubble is now ever easier?

rich d

• forum hero
#2 Re: A solution looking for a problem
June 18, 2014, 04:21:38 pm
Now if that was a knee pad I'd be tempted.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: A solution looking for a problem
June 18, 2014, 04:42:20 pm
I guess if both climbers had had complete tracheotomies and couldn't make a sound it would be really helpful.

And they couldn't communicate by tugging on the rope??

psychomansam

• forum hero
#4 Re: A solution looking for a problem
June 18, 2014, 05:05:39 pm
There is actually a case for having radios when climbing, particularly on some exped or adventurous stuff or in conditions/crags where sound is unlikely to work. But why the flying fuck would you A. build it into a glove B. go for some weird beepy thing. Capitalism truly can provide everything we never needed (the last bit's for Sloper).

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#5 Re: A solution looking for a problem
June 18, 2014, 05:16:17 pm
There is actually a case for having radios when climbing, particularly on some exped or adventurous stuff or in conditions/crags where sound is unlikely to work. But why the flying fuck would you A. build it into a glove B. go for some weird beepy thing. Capitalism truly can provide everything we never needed (the last bit's for Sloper).

Yes, The Communist Manifesto was the product of capitalism and that's been found to be surplus to requirements.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: A solution looking for a problem
June 18, 2014, 05:25:44 pm
There is actually a case for having radios when climbing, particularly on some exped or adventurous stuff or in conditions/crags where sound is unlikely to work. But why the flying fuck would you A. build it into a glove B. go for some weird beepy thing.

I believe the walkie talkie meets that need. Oh wait it doesn't have a heartrate monitor to tell if the leader is distressed.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#7 Re: A solution looking for a problem
June 18, 2014, 05:41:51 pm
There is actually a case for having radios when climbing, particularly on some exped or adventurous stuff or in conditions/crags where sound is unlikely to work. But why the flying fuck would you A. build it into a glove B. go for some weird beepy thing.

I believe the walkie talkie meets that need. Oh wait it doesn't have a heartrate monitor to tell if the leader is distressed.

Indeed.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#8 Re: A solution looking for a problem
June 20, 2014, 12:10:14 am
I've got a pair of these and find them invaluable, especially on longer routes or when indoors at a busy wall when it's too loud to hear. There are a few draw backs like having your belayer take his hand off the dead rope to confirm he has received the message that you are distressed. When I see this it tends to make me more distressed leading to a problematic feed back loop. I've also bought some trousers from the same company that tighten round the ankle when distress levels get particularly high.

tomtom

• forum hero

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#10 Re: A solution looking for a problem
June 20, 2014, 05:08:59 pm
Is this not just some design students project ?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal