UKBouldering.com

Liability Question - hope you can help... (Read 1659 times)

cattclan

Liability Question - hope you can help...
June 10, 2014, 12:41:23 am
Hi - hope you can help...

I am a keen climber and also not bad with the old hammer and screw driver - so much so that a friend of mine who runs a low key gym facility (we are talking in a converted farm building (although pretty decent!), has asked if I will design and build a relatively small climbing/bouldering wall/area, with the aim of him expanding the options he offers at the facility.

I understand he has public liability for the current equipment he has on offer (ranging from free weights, a number of weight machines and so on) but I am unsure if this would cover the use of any 'set up' I would build for him.

Does anyone know, or have thoughts on the following:

If I built this would I need any insurance for its use thereafter? What if it collapsed 6 months down the line (whether due to shoddy workmanship (I think not!) or the facilities it was built within being of not great 'waterproof' protection?)
If someone fell off the wall 3 months down the line and hurt themselves (no fault of the wall) would I be liable as I originally built it - or the owner as its within his facility?

Lastly if the wall itself was likely to only be used by a few people - mainly me! but also a few mates - and people didnt pay anything for using it would I/we have to get any insurance at all or just either get the odd person to sign a waiver or simply say use at your own risk?

Any help appreciated on the topic

:please:

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
You might get more responses if this was in the right thread - Mods could you move to somewhere more appropriate please?

cattclan

Thanks for feed back I will look around and see which one to post it in

Only just joined so apologies

N

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal