UKBouldering.com

Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats (Read 708119 times)

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#1175 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 23, 2006, 11:40:31 am
I was having a little dig through my crates and found this gem, don't know if many people are familiar with it, but its a classic a totally scratched masterpiece

i haven't seen the DVD but there was a movie of it released. Definately worth checking out!

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#1176 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 23, 2006, 12:21:58 pm
I was having a little dig through my crates and found this gem, don't know if many people are familiar with it, but its a classic a totally scratched masterpiece

Camel Bobsled Race is really good too...

Qbert cutting up some of Shadows back catalogue.. awesome..

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#1177 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 23, 2006, 01:04:59 pm
oh yeah! im sure i bought that record a while ago, i'll have a look for it and give it a spin!

I'll check out that Palace Brothers LP as well!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1178 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 23, 2006, 01:33:59 pm
DRUM and BASS!

Finally got a couple of cool CDs after a pretty dry period in recent months...

Cycle - Hyper Frequencies (Fenomeno Inc)

Japanese! I always like trying foreign d'n'b as you can find some hidden gems, of which this is one. Sort of on the vocal / liquid / uplifting side with some mellow tracks but quite a few fierce tracks and some good breaks too. All of it has an energetic, uplifting feel which is nice.

Fierce presents Dominion (Quarantine)

A compilation of artists like Fierce, Break, D-Bridge, Silent Witness etc doing rolling techy stuff very much in the vein of Noisia et al. The first CD is quite good if a bit unremarkable, but the second mixed CD is quite a gem - a consistently good mix with notably smooth pacy mixing, worth a listen for sure.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1179 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 24, 2006, 11:52:51 am
Today, the Technarium is reverberating to this:

2 discs from Stockholms' finest.  Disc one = harder faster.  Disc two = softer funkier.

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/155346-01.htm&highlight=adam%20beyer%20

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1180 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 24, 2006, 06:32:54 pm
You can always tell it's good when your head is nodding within 5 beats ;)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1181 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 25, 2006, 10:57:25 am
Today, the Technarium is being rocked by the very talented London DJ/Producer Mark Broom.

By what?

Lessons Learnt CD (mixed from tracks released on his label Pure Plastic - Minimal, Tribal, Pure Techno on 3 or 4 decks: layered, repetitive and at times abstract techno that requires a considered approach.)

A taster for thee.

www.pureplastic.co.uk

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1182 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 26, 2006, 10:01:32 am
This morning, the Technarium is keeping it deep and glacial with Swedish Tech Elder Statesman Joel Mull.  Clean, atmospheric, and perfectly executed.  Never strictly anything: his style spans techno, tech-house, minimal, house, and progressive electronica.

A Joel Mull DJ Set for your delectation. (DJ Sets.com)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1183 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 26, 2006, 10:07:38 am

Akk! That's realaudio - fuck that!

I hate Realplayer due to it's invasive installation and constant nagging.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1184 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 26, 2006, 02:53:22 pm
Shame you don't like (RealPlayer). Thankfully I'm a luddite spazztard around computers and issues like you mention are totally over my head...  I'm tuning in right now.  Light, percussive, funky not a hint of darkness in sight: great daytime tech.

Stubbs

#1185 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 26, 2006, 06:34:49 pm

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1186 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 26, 2006, 07:38:54 pm
Thanks Stubbs   :thumbsup:

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#1187 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 26, 2006, 07:39:20 pm
For those feeling that their daily dose of techno hasn't been up to par this week, Resident Advisor has released their newest podcast. This time it's Adam Beyer bringing you some FINE sounds. Download it, turn up your hi-fi, and enjoy.

link provided for lazy fucks (and because it's not freely available just yet); http://ra.ratm.net/RA030_061021_AdamBeyer-residentadvisor.net.mp3

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1188 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 26, 2006, 07:52:25 pm
Pure Techno on 3 or 4 decks: layered, repetitive and at times abstract techno that requires a considered approach.)

I really like the "wall of sound" you can get mixing techno with more than 2 decks.

I did a whole tape once where there were *always* at least two decks playing at one time, and 3 a lot of the time. Minimal techno lends itself well to this - if you can beat-match quickly and confidently it's not that difficult.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#1189 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 26, 2006, 08:06:18 pm
Muse: Black Holes and Revelations: Having never owned a Muse album I picked this up in Holyhead Woolies whilst waiting for the SeaCat to Dublin after I being impressed with a live performance from Leeds or Reading on the tele this Summer and hearing the odd tune on the radio.  It's brilliant.. reminds me of Queen & Rush with a bit of Radiohead chucked in for good measure.

It is rather good isn't it. I got the Rush and Queen vibe from it as well. The last track Knights Of Cydonia is very Rush-like IMHO. The one CD that's stuck in the car player at the moment is the last Placebo album, Meds, which is the best thing they've ever done if you ask me. The song writing is very strong all the way through, with some excellent lyrics as well, nice and dark in places. Follow The Cops Back Home is brilliant.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1190 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 27, 2006, 03:02:25 am
I've fairly lost interest in 2 deck mixes. It sounds as if there are just too many gaps in the sound.

The Japanese have a term for the gaps or silences between sounds in a song, they call it "ma".  I like it when "ma" gets wiped out completely and you are left with an OTT head fuck.  The best example of this I have found so far is from the Brazilian, DJ Murphy.  Always on 4 decks (though that's not to say that more is always more as most will know it's not, Surgeon - "It doesn't matter whether it's played on 2 decks, 3 decks, or the spoons.") Murphy always presents the music well.  He's also the only DJ I've heard to combine techno and scratching to great effect.

www.djmurphy.net

For those feeling that their daily dose of techno hasn't been up to par this week
  Unclesomebody would do better than to cease spewing from his anus and make with more than one recommendation every 5 weeks.  Lazy fuck.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 03:19:12 am by Houdini »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1191 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 27, 2006, 03:44:33 am
PS  That's a resonable set from Beyer, Unc'.  Not CD releasable quality though.

I think a problem with many torrents/freebies is that often they are not up to par with what an artist is happy to release on CD.  I like Beyer, one time in a club in Berlin he shoved a bootle of poppers under my snout, which I was grateful for at the time.

There is more than one side to Beyer: for lighter, groovier, more atmospheric moments I would recommend The Stockholm Mix Sessions Vol.3 CD on Turbo recordings:

And also a collaboration CD with Joel Mull under the name of Lask - Afro Disco.  Though this is more cerebral:

And in case you missed this in the 60 or so pages before: Ignition Key. Groovy techno given room to breathe alongside edgier moments.

It's fuckin' ace.  Damn good.

And don't forget his 1st CD release on the mighty Drumcode label:  Protechtion.

I think this is still his best work available on CD - uncompromising and pure.  Drumcode never lets you down.

I don't think much of his Timewarp CD, a little under what I'd expect from the man.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 03:58:22 am by Houdini »

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#1192 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 27, 2006, 07:18:54 am
thanks for all those nice pictures houdini. Luckily for me I have all those albums. You'd be well advised to check out the other RA mixes (unless you follow the logic that they are not cd releasese and therefore sub par).

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1193 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 27, 2006, 11:58:17 am
Hmmm!  Badinage!

I like to put those piccies in so that if anyone should stumble across something, they have a better chance of remembering a tip (I find it easier to remember a tip with a pic to match a title).  No Unc, y'daft apeth, I wouldn't follow that logic always, but a lot of stuff gleaned from the net can be a bit poo; I find it quite hard to find freebies worth plugging.  (I refuse to pay for an mp3.)

But thanks for RA tip - you advise well.  Not been there before:  good site.  Other tips?

Meanwhile, back in the Technarium, it's gone hard and loop-based with the UK's Pounding Grooves (Glenn Wilson) on Fine Audio Recordings' DJ Mix Series Vol.4:

The Thin Controller is finding this most useful in blowing away the fug left by murky ale the night previous...

(PS.  Anyone heard the Beyer Fabric CD released not long back?  I found that a little light and airy on the whole.)

(Pssst.  Unc'.  Apologies for the jibe.  Man was I cunted last night...)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 12:05:56 pm by Houdini, Reason: To say sorry to fellow Technoide »

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#1194 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 27, 2006, 12:14:16 pm
I kind of agree with you about the Beyer fabric cd, which links in to my point. A lot of the time, CD releases tend to be somewhat toned down for home listening, so the better techno things I hear are either live sets of various non public releases. Sometimes I like to wake up and put a proper pounding set on from Beyer or something, and so far that's never been a cd, but normally a live set.

I will post another tip in 5 weeks...  ;)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1196 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 27, 2006, 07:49:54 pm
A lot of the time, CD releases tend to be somewhat toned down for home listening, so the better techno things I hear are either live sets of various non public releases. Sometimes I like to wake up and put a proper pounding set on from Beyer or something, and so far that's never been a cd, but normally a live set.

You have a good point here uncle, though fwiw I wasn't over impressed by that particular Beyer mix you posted.

A case in point is Claude Young's DJ Kicks CD mix....Claude Young is an *amazing* techno DJ when he's playing live, but his CD was just too safe, too sanitised and was a huge dissapointment.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1197 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 28, 2006, 01:26:27 am
I like Claude Young live too.  A risk taker, I would say.   It's also great to hear a man who really knows the Detroit sound.  You mean the DJ Kicks CD?

Try this: one CD Young, one CD Rok (though it may be that you could have similar feelings about this too).  Personally I like the DJ Rok CD better (The most arrogant DJ in Germany - Yep.  Including Hell):

And if you like that,  Sturm und Drang (Storm & Stress) on Tresor.

For a while, Young was resident at the now defunct Hamburg Phonodrome.  Great days.  Rok (www.dj-rok.de) is a lot more uncompromising live though.  Quite nasty.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 01:49:38 am by Houdini »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1199 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 28, 2006, 05:43:34 pm
Sorry about the loss of the piccies.   Hotlink schmot link...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal