UKBouldering.com

Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats (Read 706419 times)

Paz

• junky
#1150 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 16, 2006, 08:03:50 pm
I haven't heard of any of these people dammit, and I'm not checking out 58 pages of name checks of people I haven't heard of so that I then worry that I should have heard of them.  I know you guys have posted downloads but you don't get a shiney CD case with things like Limited Edition, Bonus Tracks, and Extra Features written on (they're not cynical marketing ploys, they mean I'm special because I've got them)
and downloads're illegal.  And they don't work on my `puter. 

Don't you lot like anything normal? and if not, why not?!  The Killers are at number 1 FFS.  That's a good album.  Even if you don't like it, someone  else will love you for it come christmas. 

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1151 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 16, 2006, 08:07:52 pm
All of my beats are normal....for their respective genres.

And I usually give links to playlist pages where you can order CDs!

Paz

• junky
#1152 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 16, 2006, 08:22:33 pm
Good.  right. 

Music got really confusing when I realised I didn't like any particular genre.  When it's shit it's shit, when it's good it's good. 
The worst bit is when people ask me what I'm into, and all I can think to answer is Um.  In general it's an eclectic mix of CDs, and in general anything I'm listening into at anyone time probably came out two or three years ago.  This is why I bigged up The Killers - to make it look like I'm hip and current. 

Like in the Town Cryer episode when Homer Simpson says to Lisa "You're always right about these things adn I'm sick of getting left behind, so just for once I want in from the start"

But even though I'm not a man of wealth and taste, it's still good. 

BenF

• forum hero
#1153 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 17, 2006, 08:34:20 am
Don't you lot like anything normal? and if not, why not?! 

:lol: :lol:  Quality line.  That's made me laugh my arse off.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1154 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 17, 2006, 08:35:43 am
Music got really confusing when I realised I didn't like any particular genre.  When it's shit it's shit, when it's good it's good. 
The worst bit is when people ask me what I'm into, and all I can think to answer is Um.  In general it's an eclectic mix of CDs, and in general anything I'm listening into at anyone time probably came out two or three years ago.  This is why I bigged up The Killers - to make it look like I'm hip and current. 

Chill Paz. I know what you mean, I never really subscribe to any genre of music, and haven't got a clue what most of the recommendations on here are anyway, so never bother.

FWIW I have only listened to the new Killers album once or twice, and it sounds great. Saving it for 3 weeks of driving in SA, as you know how quickly you go through music then.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1155 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 17, 2006, 09:00:01 am
I remember talking to a DJ and he was like "no, I don't like Progressive House, I only really like Cultural House..."

wtf?! people get far too narrow minded when it comes to genres and get scared to listen to anything else. You're right Paz, if it's good it's good and if it's shit it's shit.

But what is "normal" anyway? I like quite a lot of well known music, it doesn't have to be obscure to be good, but tbh most stuff I like is away from the mainstream. Not sure why, I guess my tastes have mainly led me into weirdy electronica. It wasn't a concious decision, that's just what floats my boat.

And there's plenty of legal download sites that offer such stuff, eg http://bleep.com.

The other point is that this topic is here to recommend stuff that is good and you may not have heard of - hidden gems, etc....there's no point in people recommending things like the Killers on here because everyone knows about them anyway.

FWIW I think The Killers are ok, but very very overhyped at the moment.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#1156 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 17, 2006, 09:05:33 am
Okay how about this for mainstream and popular - Ed Rush and Optical.

http://www.breakbeat.co.uk/listen/listen-albums.asp?display_year=2006&display_month=9#1002745

Now, I haven't liked Ed Rush and Optical at all in recent years. When they started individually with tracks like the superbly cyberpunk To Shape The Future and the searingly dark The Raven, they varied between good and great. Together, Wormhole was about as mundane as DnB got at the time, and subsequent offerings, with the exception of the odd gem like Kerbkrawler, have been similarly unstimulating.

However, this album seems to be getting a fine balance between dancefloor (and possibly daytime radio!) popularity, and actually interesting DnB. It's sort of ravey and groovy and high energy, and although it has plenty of those vocals / guitars and OTT melodies that will please all the kiddies who think they are into DnB because they like Pendulumn, those aspects don't override the DnB too much.

I think I'll actually get this one.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1157 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 17, 2006, 09:12:36 am

Can't listen to them coz not got the right plugin :(

Maybe I shouldn't have deleted Windows Media Player...

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#1158 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 17, 2006, 09:42:04 am
weirdy electronica

btw, just simply loving the trentemoller:the last resort

also kompact's total 7 compilation

kode 9's memories of the future is starting to warm up

and looking forward to mike monday's imminent release: smorgasbord

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#1160 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 17, 2006, 11:26:23 am
New mix available at www.mountainrescueradio.com so get it.

It's called "Beach by Day, City by Night" and as you might expect is comprised of two rather different halves. Worth a look. 

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#1161 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 17, 2006, 01:24:14 pm
Some nice tracks there Uncle. Liked the first half. Went off to eat bacon during the second, so not entirely sure what it consisted of, but I was vaguely worried by some of the sounds emanating from my room.

Check this out, Sleephouse Radio, good podcasts - usually more obscure stuff...

http://sleephouse.blogspot.com/

Or here if you have a podcast reciever - http://sleephouseradio.libsyn.com/rss

Paz

• junky
#1162 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 17, 2006, 06:32:23 pm
Cheers boys.  Today I came across the following nugget from the man Jarvis Cocker (when guest editing the Observer Music Monthly)

"Is there any point in writing about music?"

webbo

• forum hero
#1163 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 18, 2006, 08:20:04 am
i too think the new killers album is good.didn't mention it on here though in case i got relegated to cocktalk.

BenF

• forum hero
#1164 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 19, 2006, 02:08:52 pm
Got a new Fresstylers artist album last week, entitled "Adventures in Freestyle". 

As it says on the tin, this isn't the usual breaks stuff they produce, but a very eclectic mix of songs.  Veering through hiphop, breaks, rock, mo-town esque, even indie sounding stuff.  Really good actually.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#1165 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 19, 2006, 02:54:41 pm
I suppose with all this talk of the killers and other mainstream music someone has to move a little further afield. So how about this, a cd you can't buy, one that was only given out by hand at certain m-nus (the label) events this year and in limited numbers. It is called [2] Kontakt RTW and if you know m-nus you know what to expect.  A really strong set of tracks all of which are unreleased. For those who like their techno, their minimal, their top's off munching parties then try to find this cd. It is very good. 

Looking forward to seeing Troy Pierce on friday night even more now!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1166 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 20, 2006, 10:29:02 am
I never really subscribe to any genre of music, and haven't got a clue what most of the recommendations on here are anyway....

Isn't that sort of the point of this thread though Chris.. ?  I reckon most of us are in a similar situation in that we haven't heard of the bulk of the recomendations.  Some of these artists may be unknown and in some cases, downright esoteric, but I don't think for a minute that anyone is posturing or being deliberately obscure.

I enjoy finding and listening to music I've not heard before just as much as I enjoy the familiar sounds

Anyway here's a real gem I've been listening to this week (in between Muse and the radio and other stuff - yes I do listen to popular music Paz  :P)

Belbury Poly: The Willows on Ghost Box:  I bought this on the strength of a Simon Reynolds article on Ghost Box/Mordant Music records in The Wire which was the first time in months I've thought 'I must hear some of the that' after reading an article.  Fans of Boards of Canada will _love_ this record.. it's a little bit queasy and woozy.. anyone over 30 will feel instantly at home with the aesthetic.. dusty classroom books... 'Lumpi ist mein hund'... it's a also a bit spooky with nods to Arthur Machen..

Available on CD or as a download from Bleep.com or iTunes.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1167 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 20, 2006, 10:39:18 am
I know Hot Cip has been mentioned a few times already but: make sure you check out the first album as well. More listenable all the way through with some top tracks too - We Ride is particularly good. Thanks to Char for the cd  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1168 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 20, 2006, 10:45:19 am
I never really subscribe to any genre of music, and haven't got a clue what most of the recommendations on here are anyway....

Isn't that sort of the point of this thread though Chris.. ?  I reckon most of us are in a similar situation in that we haven't heard of the bulk of the recomendations.  Some of these artists may be unknown and in some cases, downright esoteric, but I don't think for a minute that anyone is posturing or being deliberately obscure.

To be honest FD, I don't really have time to listen properly to most of the CDs I do buy, not to mention all the old ones. Between us we probably have something like 250 - 300 CDs or possibly more at home, many of which are on regular rotation. Most stuff I buy takes at least a few listens to to get attuned to it, otherwise I find myself getting bored with it very quickly if it's too accessible.

In the words of Homer, I find it hard to find the time to get down any more.

I've still got your Boards of Canad CDs by the way, hope you don't need them any time soon

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1169 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 21, 2006, 06:23:48 pm
There's a cracking techno night out coming up at The Old Brewery, Manchester, 27th October.

http://www.computercontrolled.co.uk/

Ben Sims, A Guy Called Gerald, DJ Stingray (Drexciya) and others.

EDIT:  Rather enjoying the Joris Voorn mix you posted Unc' (especially the dirty bits) - wouldn't happen to have anything er... dirtier would you?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 06:43:21 pm by Houdini »

underground

• forum hero
#1170 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 21, 2006, 09:59:22 pm

I enjoy finding and listening to music I've not heard before just as much as I enjoy the familiar sounds

I definitely agree with you- and FWIW I'm down with some previous FD recommendations because I was just so intrigued by the kinds of stuff / genres far removed from my usual references. No way would I have looked at Fonotone for example, now I'm looking towards a lot more Old Timey / Appalachian bluegrass stuff, and really loving it.

The musical unknown is a wonderful, rich, life enhancing place- sometimes it's downright horrible, but in general I'm continually amazed and enthralled every week. I may only hear an album once, flick through the tracks maybe, but then something will just shout out, and then I'll give it the time and generally, it's worth the effort.

This week, I'm loving Beirut - Gulag Orkestar, having heard Postcards from Italy on Zane one evening, and for a while, I've been loving [smog] - A River Ain't Too Much To Love, a guy with a voice so deep and rich, yet beautifully clear that the music is just a little background enhancement. It's like a pint of Guinness with Bailey's for the head.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1171 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 22, 2006, 12:32:37 am
Great it is to see so many being turned on by The Palace Brothers/Oldham.

For what it's worth, I rate Viva Last Blues as the zenith of Palace endeavour, in particular for the song The Brute Choir.  Great song, great title and a perfect problem name.  A rare talent Oldham has.

If you don't own this LP, do yourself a favour.  You won't be disappointed.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1172 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 22, 2006, 09:39:05 pm
The musical unknown is a wonderful, rich, life enhancing place- sometimes it's downright horrible, but in general I'm continually amazed and enthralled every week. I may only hear an album once, flick through the tracks maybe, but then something will just shout out, and then I'll give it the time and generally, it's worth the effort.

:agree:

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1173 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 23, 2006, 10:52:17 am
Troy Pierce and Matthew Dear were the shit. The visuals were some of the best I have seen at a shindig. Spoke to Dear for a while post set and he was a sound chap. Heard rumours of Minus records giving out free promo CD's but sadly didn't happen this time.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#1174 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
October 23, 2006, 11:01:23 am
Back with the proper fresh and funky beats i.e. hip-hop. Finally got some new stuff, just ordered:

Swollen Members - Black Magic - http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/235198-01.htm

Not as relentlessly awesome nor as consistent as their excellent Balance nor Bad Dreams albums (which any head should own), but still some very good stuff on here with usual strong beats.

Phi Life Cypher - Playback - http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/232219-01.htm

Never really tried the Phi before but this collection of various collaboration tracks and unreleased tunes comes across pretty well to me. Some good beats and upfront rapping. Check.

Got this, listened once, both dope, you need them in your life.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal