UKBouldering.com

Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats (Read 706435 times)

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#975 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 30, 2006, 12:31:15 pm
simply a.w.e.s.o.m.e. houdi  :kiss2:

change of tack: tm juke - forward soul/jazz offering on ubiquity, out end october, pretty chilled

perlus: owusu & hannibal - living with owusu & hannibal i love this soulful danish duo, the lp is worth it for blue jay alone

soapy

• junky
    • maskon

BenF

• forum hero
#977 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 31, 2006, 09:11:32 am
joe dukie and dj fitchie - midnight marauders

Fuckin' love that track.  Beautiful feel to it.  Thanks for reminding me of it, have some waddage.

The Tayo track is lovely too, can't remember where I have got it, but I'm sure I have it on a Tayo mix somewhere.  Will go search right now.

My personal recommendations at the moment are generally dancehall retro stuff.  All hail King Jammy! :bow:

I've also been listening to lots of breaks tracks off the Marine Parade label thanks to some retrospective mix I picked up just before heading to France for a month.  All hail Adam Freeland, Bassbin Twins, Forme, Evil Nine et al  :bow:

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#978 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 31, 2006, 09:27:48 am
glad you like em ben

gotta say, the music recommendations on this thread are ab-fucking-fab

bit more of the dub accent for you

tracklisting:

unknown - jah jah version
jah wobble/jaki liebezeit/neville murray - nev12 // eddie gale - song of will
benga - amber
geenus - congo bass
boxcutter - tauhid
african head charge - depth charge
sizzla - obstacles (blackdown refix)
skream - bahl fwd
selim sesler - kurdili hicazkar longa

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#979 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 31, 2006, 10:58:04 am
If anyone likes odd but brilliant UK punk then check out the fascinating 3-piece Rudimentary Peni, they're highly regarded amongst punk cogniscenti. They're especially unusual as the bassist had and beat cancer and the singer/guitarist Nick Blinko is genuinely barking.   The kind that needs medication.  Weird shit happens when he doesn't take it. See below:

That's some of his nutty cover art.  He's a so called Outsider artist. The man has written a book too, The Primal Screamer.  Yep, involving primal scream therapy.  They are believed to be the only band to release a record while a member was a patient sectioned under the mental health act.

Trouser press review.

Hard to get good MP3s free but 30 sec samples here.  Recommend Farce, The Bile Ball, The Gardener, Zero Again, and Bubble. And they get weirder the more you delve into them.  They're still going after years, and every so often release cracking angry and frightening records.   They're instantly lovable/hateable so, be prepared.

7lbs overweight

#980 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 31, 2006, 01:45:57 pm
I give you Zeni Geva.

If I had the faintest idea how to give you a house point you'd get one.  Very fine indeed. 
Ebay seller climaczuk accepted my offer of £3.50 for a new LP  :great:

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#981 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 01, 2006, 01:55:54 pm
only got time for one tune today :(

the amusingly titled the holy fuck - casio bossa nova

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#982 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 01, 2006, 02:01:55 pm
If anyone likes odd but brilliant UK punk then check out the fascinating 3-piece Rudimentary Peni,

Another good recomendation from Houdini...

They also did a mad 'concept' album about HP Lovecraft.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#983 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 01, 2006, 02:21:25 pm
I'm really liking that Casio Bossa Nova tune, and what a classic name!

My recommendation of the day comes from a similar stable as the tunes of Clouddead by an artist called Bus Driver, the album being Cosmic Cleavage. A quick search through bleep.com will drag him up. I do like some CloudDead stuff, but Bus Driver stuff I find far better.

Whilst you're on Bleep, check out the Mego record label. A label that I recommend you approach with caution and probably a fairly hefty dose of skepticism. And then probably leave with a healthy dose of skepticism.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#984 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 01, 2006, 02:43:11 pm
big dada - class label :thumbsup:

dabrye - game over on the ghostly/spectral label, http://www.ghostly.com/, which brings me to the excellent wonky audion - just fucking

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#985 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 01, 2006, 05:25:47 pm
.....check out the Mego record label. A label that I recommend you approach with caution and probably a fairly hefty dose of skepticism. And then probably leave with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Endless Summer by Christian Fennesz on Mego - it's really good.

Monolith

• forum hero
#986 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 01, 2006, 05:31:16 pm
Falling Down, I'll get on to it. Mego have some awesome sleeve covers, I don't know why they appeal to me so much but they do. I'm not aware of the ghostly label, something else to get onto.

As for Audion, absolutely class shit. Brilliant to listen to from partying in the kitchen, to doing any high octane activity. And on another sleeve fetishist note, how decent are those of Audion!?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#987 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 01, 2006, 08:27:51 pm
Listening to a great live PA from London's Rue East (Dave Hill and Mark Broom).  Great late night on-yer-tod techno, nice tempo, not hard, minimal with quite deep dreamy bits, for techno.  A Sebastian Kramer PA too.

Check the Audiio section of the Pure Plastic site.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#988 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 02, 2006, 05:19:58 pm
This is my mates mix cd I was talking about.

Tough dirty electro stylee.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RMUSC0MF

Little bit complex, but in the right hand corner underneath the bit saying free video calls, there is a box. Enter the code at the right of the word Megaupload and next to the box, in the box and click download. It will reload the page and say wait 45 seconds, you should then be able to download it.

Bit complex but worth it, trust me.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#989 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 02, 2006, 07:41:48 pm
So many good links recently, I've got a lot of stuff to check out.

Just been listening to the new Basement Jaxx album

- I like it :) It's hard not to like The Jaxx imho, if you're in the right mood anyroad.

Beautifully produced and more interesting than their last album imo.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#990 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 02, 2006, 08:12:03 pm
I'm championing these 2 as the next new hip guys. MC Devvo and Shady piez. Rockin.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#991 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 02, 2006, 08:41:45 pm
So many good links recently, I've got a lot of stuff to check out....

You're not wrong Bubba, the UKB collective has the knowledge fo' sho'.  There's been some brilliant tips on music, films 'n books without even getting started on the climbing....

andy_e

• forum hero
#992 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 03, 2006, 06:10:54 pm
This month, oi arve been mostly purchasing:

Refused - The Shape Of Punk To Come

This Swedish punk group have had a big influence over my mates' band (their cover of New Noise at the Manchester Academy bringing a brilliant set to a storming end) so I thought I'd pick up the album to see what it's like. It's fecking awesome. Hardcore interspersed with techno-y bits- lovely.

Quantic - Apricot Morning

I really love Quantic's first album, The Fifth Exotic. I bought this expecting more of the same, but was dissappointed. It's less chilled and jazzier, and a few of them have guest singers. That said, the music is still good, and Alice Russell (previously mentioned by Bubba) has a divine voice.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#993 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 04, 2006, 07:53:59 am
I have very little to add to this at the moment, apart from The Guillemots, as recommended previously, are excellent.

Anyone downloaded new DJ Shadow yet??

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#994 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 04, 2006, 11:59:34 am
Labradford  They've a bare and elegant aestethic, well paced.  Somewhere between hyper-slow post-rock, ambient electronica and experimental sequenced beats.  All very gentle.

Recommend early 1st LP Prazision, the '93 eponymous Labradford LP and the '99 E LUXO SO.  I think their eponymous LP is their best effort.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#995 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 04, 2006, 12:16:12 pm
Labradford  They've a bare and elegant aestethic, well paced...

Train journey music... and I mean that in a good way.  The tempo is perfect for click clacking through the highlands or tearing down the West Coast mainline watching cows munching in the fields turning to Midlannds industry and it's subtle enough to read at the same time.

Andi_e - Refused.. yes very good.  Adders turned me onto this album when I was asking for contemporary hardcore bands that were worth listening.

Over the weekend, I've been listening to Richard Youngs surrealist tinkerings, Rancid's 'Bring out the Wolves', Ruben Blades and Tortoise's TNT, which, if you don't own in your CD collection, you should.

Monolith

• forum hero
#996 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 04, 2006, 12:39:00 pm
A friendly little correction with Rancid, And Out Come The Wolves.

Just wondered if anybody knew of Cassette Boy, and if so, is it worth me parting with some dosh for any of his/their works?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#997 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 04, 2006, 01:16:34 pm
A friendly little correction with Rancid, And Out Come The Wolves.

Ah yes... thanks for that... good job I don't write for a living.

Cassette Boy... nope I don't have any info. but for a good old fashioned punkorama you can't go wrong with Pegboyhttp://www.southern.com/southern/band/PEGBO/, Three Chord Monte, Strong Reaction and Earwig are all time classics IMHO (I'm sure a man of your tastes will have at least one of these already but just in case).

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#998 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 04, 2006, 01:35:27 pm
Any of you punk rockers catch this back in the early 90s:

Don't Turn Away by Face to Face.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Turn_Away

Rousing passionate punk rock - great for getting psyched up on the way to the crag.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#999 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
September 04, 2006, 02:13:03 pm
Yep.  More techno.  This time tribal (drum heavy clickerty-clackerty) & from Norway: Cave

The site's none too impressive but there's a decent audio section with a live PA & plenty of mixes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal