UKBouldering.com

Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats (Read 712496 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#950 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 24, 2006, 11:11:40 am
ohh, that's good knowledge - will have to have a look when I get home.

The man Dulli was also the voice of the Beatles on the "Backbeat" soundtrack as well.

If you've never heard any of their stuff before, I'd recommend starting with "Black Love", then work your way through "1965" and "Gentlemen"...you're in for a treat!

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#951 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 24, 2006, 12:10:24 pm
thx tommy, will have a scoot around hype

lego

whispering nic

• player
#953 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 25, 2006, 09:31:45 pm
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air... :whistle:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#954 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 25, 2006, 09:40:06 pm
word nic, let me do you a favour - if that's your flava, get yourself round this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000065V4V/026-3580742-7422020?v=glance&n=229816&s=gateway&v=glance

best twelve squid you'll spend in a while word...

whispering nic

• player
#955 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 25, 2006, 09:54:13 pm
I'll take that recommendation :goodidea:

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#956 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 26, 2006, 10:53:56 am

canvey island badboy lee brilleaux on gritty vocals and mouth-harp, pudding-basin'd wilko on wide-eye amphetimine guitar backed by a lean, mean r'n'b rhythm machine, the feelgoods fucking rocked

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#957 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 26, 2006, 12:55:36 pm
I like feelgood especially Down by the Jetty era Feelgood.  Great guitar.

Just found the Locked Records site. Anyone been here?  I'd expect by the past fliers it must be an ace night.  They've some respectable mixes to download too.  Underground Techno.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#958 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 26, 2006, 01:49:43 pm
Finding the Sam Horam mix in the box above pretty satisfying, builds up with quality tracks all quite nicely.  A dryish sound, 3 DX.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#959 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 26, 2006, 05:54:57 pm
Another one for techno fans: Takaaki Itoh.

It's a minimal site but the download section is quite healthy ranging from minimal house thru to techno mixes and live performances.  Millsian.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#960 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 26, 2006, 06:17:47 pm
looks interesting. Infact, anything japanese is usually quite interesting. However, all the sets are 128kbps. Why do people still use 128kbps mp3's? It really is crap sounding. In the day of dial up I could understand but now that everyone has 8mb broadband we should all really be using flac. ok, rant over. Thanks for the links though!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#961 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 27, 2006, 12:19:01 pm
On the subject of minimal house..

Scion are well worth checking out. They're on the Tresor record label in Berlin (Houdini may well fill you in on the Berlin Techno scene).

As a chance purchase a while back, it yielded some incredible sounds. My Tresor knowledge isn't great, but I understand the album is a remix of various other techno stuff with a glitchy dub sound layered over the top.

A link here, to the romantically named Arrange and Process Basic Channel Tracks

(Who said German efficiency was dead!?)

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=8092

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#962 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 27, 2006, 02:35:15 pm
Tresor is dead.  Long live Tresor.

(Tresor = vault or strongroom.)

The club goes back about 15 years, and has sadly not long closed - the land it sat on was worth fuck all when it started, now it's prime turf.  The club was great:  A good sized outdoor bit for when it got too much inside.  The top half of the premises opened up as Globus to cater for the lighter side (haus and tech-haus) while downstairs was the infamous low ceiling vault rooms complete with bars n' shit, and no air.  Fucking spooky it was, when it was rammed the water would condense on the ceiling and if you were 3 sheets/a whole haberdashery shop to the wind these would turn into pulsating silver egg cases waiting to rupture Alien-style and properly freak you out with the grime. The dj booth was behind bars so it was a hugely characterful place. Great label roster including, Ben Sims, Blake Baxter, James Ruskin, Regis, Surgeon, Jeff Mills, The Advent and plenty of other local talent, like Pacou and Sender Berlin.  I'll really miss that funky shithole.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#963 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 27, 2006, 09:03:07 pm
Right then technical dudes.

I have a really good house CD mixed by a mate of mine. How would one go about getting it loaded onto the internet so you folks could hear it  :-\

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#964 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 28, 2006, 11:28:24 am
Rip it using EAC and encode it to a high-bitrate mp3 using LAME

Have a look at this guide: http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/9,52.html for an idea of what you have to do.

Once you've got yer .mp3 then you've got to host it somewhere - try rapidshare or somewhere.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#965 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 28, 2006, 11:36:10 am
This is a good guide to Lame and EAC - http://jiggafellz.isa-geek.net/eac/

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#966 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 28, 2006, 07:02:27 pm
COR BLIMEY GUVNA!!!!

Just had aquick flick through the process and got lost rather easily. I'll have a proper look at it when I have removed my head from my butt after THE most wank day in the shop ever. I hate bank holidays.

Cheers for the tips though dudes.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#967 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 29, 2006, 07:38:54 am
http://hekate.co.uk/

i can't even think of any comments, my brain is dead today, suffice to say i like some of the hekate output

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#968 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 29, 2006, 06:48:14 pm
If you like eep opp, you really ought to know of the Molemen collaborative outfit (with self-titled label). Those who know Vakill will already be familiar I'm sure. But if you don't go on, check them out!

On a totally unrelated genre change. A merry band of local fools are in a group called Arthur Shelton Jones and Friends. Pretty unique for their age range, they make any night into a Bourbon-toting feel good festival.

Greet them at:

http://www.myspace.com/arthursheltonjones

They'd be happy to have you come stay.

Pemb

• regular
  • probably injured
    • Longest Mile Records
#969 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 29, 2006, 08:31:34 pm
If you only have time to listen one Arthur Shelton Jones and Friends song check out New Mexico as it's class and I think the others are demos.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#970 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 29, 2006, 08:51:58 pm
Soapy, I would have loved to have seen Dr Feelgood back in the 70s, they sounded awesome. When I was 11 years old I used to run a dinner time disco at school with a mate; Milk and Alcohol was a real floor filler, got the place rocking every time.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#971 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 30, 2006, 10:50:25 am
Currently continuing my Scandinavian fetish with the swedish band Logh.

The missus discovered them.  They have a website with some freebies for download.

Indie rock I guess.  The current stuff is darker/dissonant, which I like.  The earlier somewhat more melodic.  Looksee.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#972 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 30, 2006, 10:55:29 am
schveeden eh,

i take it you're well versed with the works of dungen?

particularly liked the  2004 lp  - ta det lungt

and had the pleasure of seeing them in support on the dfa tour

they erm, 'rawk'

:thumbsup:

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#973 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 30, 2006, 11:00:28 am
not sure if this had already been posted but I heard this chap on radio 2 the other night. Aqcuired the album and it's very good;

Liam Frost - Show me how the Spectres Dance
It's folk/indie stuff I guess but it sounds nice so it's worth getting. He's from manchester and has a myspace account for those who like that shit. Available from the pink palace for those who can and do...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#974 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
August 30, 2006, 11:32:26 am
Sorry Soaps - never heard of them - until now!  Cool.  I'll see if there's some free shit to blag on t'net.  Thanks mate.

This is for anyone fascinated by our bizarre, short, revoltingly-dieted Japanese cousins.

I give you Zeni Geva

Psychedelic minimalist/maximalist rock.  And IMO - peerless  (closest peer:  Shellac.)  Around for 2 decades plus, they don't release much but when they do it knocks your head off.  2 guitars/drums (no bass, but curiously have a massive bottom-end.)

Find these LP/CD's:

Most recent:  10,000 Light Years. (On Neurot records.)

Previous to that: Freedom Bondage.  (Alternative Tentacles.)  This is such a good LP I'm speechless: after 20 years it finally comes together.  Ugly, yet occasionally extremely tender.  They never ever sound anything less than Japanese, and are far from derivative.

Previous to that:  Desire For Agony.  (Also Alternative Tentacles.)  A great LP. 

Here is their site on Alternative Tentacles.  Free MP3s.  They are easily my favourite rock band.  Even better than The Jesus Lizard.  I've been trying to catch them live for 13 years or something.  Still no joy.

An ancient single called When I was on Horseback Included here for the mad artwork by skingraft Records honcho Mark Fischer.  Good luck if you can find it.

There are others out there for a curious mind to discover, but these are the best.  1 choice?  Freedom Bondage. 

Nerds may wish to explore www.kknull.com  This is the site of the voice/low guitar of Zeni Geva.  He's done so much I can't list it here.  Merzbow-ish when solo. 

Double-nerds/tasteful types may wish to find Brainsville by Mitsuru Tabata (high end geetar of Zeni Geva)
Find more about Tabata here inc. MP3's.  Spooky stuff.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 11:54:16 am by Houdini »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal