UKBouldering.com

Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats (Read 708026 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#775 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 20, 2006, 10:35:56 am
Cheers for the knowledge, will be investigating some of those. Have got Hertz samples on at the moment.

I'd already checked out Stigmata - too merciless and cold really (and a bit fast too!).

Part of the reason I mention the Liberator / DTD stuff is because I quite like the banging nature, and I really like the sound of acid, but yeah there is something about it that doesn't always hit the mark like it should. Perhaps a lack of funk there?

JR

• forum abuser
#776 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 20, 2006, 10:40:26 am

Yep I'm enjoying the Nathan Fake stuff too. I'm still waiting for the Gnarls Barkley album to leak

gnarls barkley been leaked on oink for a while, if you dont already use it ive got a spare invite or five.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 04:05:37 pm by JR »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#777 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 20, 2006, 10:44:03 am

The rest of the Gnarls album isn't as good as "Crazy" imho.

I used to buy Surgeon stuff but it was always a bit too souless to listen to in any quantity. That was ages ago though so I need to check what he's up to these days.

JR

• forum abuser
#778 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 20, 2006, 12:04:19 pm

The rest of the Gnarls album isn't as good as "Crazy" imho.

second that, and im now bored of hearing crazy

as for what im listening to at the moment, maybe not so fresh but...

pelican city - rhode island (some tracks of pilgrimage i think)
boom bip and dj osiris
tony d - pound for pound (old skool east coast)
the kooks (naive and seaside are awesome songs)
raconteurs (steady as she goes - class)
tina dickow - in the red (soft and folky, but maybe a bit poppy, from zero 7)
sophie barker - earthbound(as above but better and from zero 7)
kula shaker - K
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 12:10:18 pm by JR »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#779 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 20, 2006, 12:34:59 pm
Well as usual the combination of UKB p1mps' recommendations, my general enthusiasm for phat beats, and Juno's mercilessly useful playlist functions has caused some damage to the wallet. Just ordered:

Swollen Members - Balance
More of the illest hip-hop from Battle Axe records. If it's a 10th as good as Bad Dreams it will be enough.

Chris Liebig - Live In Beograd
http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/197376-01.htm
Banging techno mix.

Hertz - Perspective
http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/197850-01.htm
Another banging techno mix.

Various - Ultimate Damage
http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/209184-01.htm
At last, a proper gabber CD, none of this slowed down nu-skool gabber bollox. Mix of mostly Producer and Hellfish stuff so it's got class.

Blame - The Turning Point
http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/216147-01.htm
After his awesome 720 Revolutions CD, this is buy-on-sight territory. Trancey, uplifting and energetic Drum'n'Bass.

Word.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#780 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 20, 2006, 02:06:11 pm
There are cool mixes by Deetron, OVR (Regis & James Ruskin), Vince Watson and Andreas Kramer here: http://www.kinetic-am.com/audio.php

Fiend, if you like hiphop & techno, check out the DJ Murphy mix available here:

http://www.ump3.de/urec/release_cd015.php

This guy really flows, has good taste and manages to bang lots of scratching into a place not normally associated with it.

I think Surgeon is one of the few Brits really worth keeping in touch with.  Especially if you like Industrial music.  He and the whole Birmingham sound which he was a pioneer in crafting are really influential, especially in the hard techno of Spain.  Anyone who is a fan of Surgeon, Regis, Femail and Portion Reform will hear the same sounds in the music of Christian Wünsch (www.tsunamirecords.com) and Oscar Mulero (www.oscarmulero.com) to name but two.

I really like the Surgeon remix of Mogwais' Kicking a dead pig.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:18:22 pm by Houdini »

boulderbasher

• lets climb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DYNO.......YEAH
#781 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 21, 2006, 11:35:57 am
at the moment i like all american rejcts, fall out boy and snow patrol

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#782 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 21, 2006, 12:09:22 pm
Quote from: JR
as for what im listening to at the moment, maybe not so fresh but...

kula shaker - K

Jeez, put that on the other day for the first time in about 8 years. Embarrassing...

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#783 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 21, 2006, 02:13:26 pm
In a bid to try and recommend something original instead of the usual recent pitchfork reviews (although do check out Islands and the new Josh Ritter album) I thought I'd recommend this;

Elsie and Jack and Nick Drake - Sculpting from Drake This is a tribute album to Nick Drake, which might sound a bit corny and cheap, but it works really well. The music is clearly inspired/covered from Nick Drake and so if you enjoy him you should enjoy this. Some tracks work better than others, but it's nice anyway.

also, great to see a techno revival on this thread. Was very keen to read all that, thanks Houdini!

SHIT! so I've just realised the above album was reviewed on Pitchfork, they're always one step ahead!! Review Here;
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/d/drake_nick/sculpting-from-drake.shtml

andy_e

• forum hero
#784 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 27, 2006, 02:25:23 pm
http://www.warprecords.com/dayvancowboy/

The Video for Dayvan Cowboy, possibly the greatest tune ever written by Boards Of Canada. Looking forward to Trans Canada Highway, that's been preordered  :D

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#785 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 27, 2006, 04:45:59 pm
Elsie and Jack and Nick Drake - Sculpting from Drake This is a tribute album to Nick Drake, which might sound a bit corny and cheap, but it works really well. The music is clearly inspired/covered from Nick Drake and so if you enjoy him you should enjoy this. Some tracks work better than others, but it's nice anyway.
[/url]

Thanks for that, might check it out. The pitchfork review suggests a very mixed bag, but perhaps the stand out tracks might stand out lots... If just one of them comes near the brilliance of the orginals, then it wil be well worth having. Odd that most of the tracks are from Pink Moon though. It's a great album, but the others aint shabby.

On a similiar note, for those that haven't come across it yet, the best (sort of tribute) to Nick Drake has to be John Martyn's Solid Air. Created as 'a desperate bid to reach Nick Drake whose depression had deepened considerably threatening their close friendship", it's an amazing album in its own right. A full on folk, jazz, blues, ethereal, uplifting experience.

One song (may you never) from that album here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=44020475

Check out this myspace thing for a recorded interview with JM about Nick Drake:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=46144434

« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 04:50:17 pm by r-man »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#786 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 27, 2006, 10:30:02 pm

Never knew about the Nick Drake connection but Solid Air is a classic album and always on my iPod.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#787 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 28, 2006, 10:17:21 am
I think its safe to say only the title track was in tribute to Drake. Unless of course he was a jelly roll fan and JM was planning to pull him away from the black dog with the finest jelly rolls in town.

Good album though. Over the hill is a great anthem for anyone who goes climbing to clear the head.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#788 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 28, 2006, 10:56:43 am
 Great album, but what the fuck IS jelly roll??

r-man

• forum hero
#789 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 28, 2006, 11:07:01 am
I think its safe to say only the title track was in tribute to Drake.

Yeah, though May You Never seems like it could have been written with Nick in mind. Or maybe that was about his bassist, Danny Thompson. Think maybe I heard that in a bbc4 documentary, which was quite entertaining. He's definitely acquired an anecdote or two. This uns pretty funny:

Just as all the pieces began to come together Martyn reached for the self-destructive button. Whilst in Australia to promote the new album he found himself at another radio station doing another interview. With the DJ and producer present, they began the interview with a John and Beverley Martyn track. He stared daggers at the two of them: "You DO realize the Bev was killed in a road accident only a week ago. How COULD you play that? I'm ready to walk out of this station, you heartless ignorant fuckers." The DJ and producer looked at each other in horror, and then John roared with laughter shouting; "Gotcha, ya dumb Aussie fucks." That night at the Canberra Theatre he continued to air his contempt for the Aussie's, with a diatribe between each song about how backward, racist and murderous all Australians were. To this day, the DJ (whom wishes to remain nameless) at the station has never played a John Martyn track.

r-man

• forum hero
#790 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 28, 2006, 11:10:51 am
Great album, but what the fuck IS jelly roll??

I've always wondered that. It pops up all over the place. It turns out that...

A jelly roll (known outside of the United States as a Swiss roll) is a cylindrical cake containing jelly or jam. It is made by baking a long flat thin sponge cake, coating the surface with jam and sometimes cream, and rolling it up. It is usually served in circular slices. A Swiss roll made with a chocolate-flavoured sponge and containing a chocolate fondant is sometimes called a chocolate log.

The term jelly roll is also sexual slang, used to indicate variously a lover, intercourse, or the sexual parts. According to the book "The Story of English, "On the street, jelly roll had many associated meanings, from the respectable 'lover, or spouse', to the Harlem slang of the 1930s, 'a term for the vagina'." [1] In blues usage, however, the cylindrical pastry was at least as easily used as a metaphor for the phallus.

The book Blues Fell This Morning: Meaning in the Blues cites a recording by Peg Leg Howell and His Gang as an example of sexual metaphor in the blues:

Jelly-roll, jelly-roll, ain't so hard to find.
    Ain't a baker shop in town bake 'em brown like mine
    I got a sweet jelly, a lovin' sweet jelly roll,
    If you taste my jelly, it'll satisfy your worried soul

Wikipedia is indeed a glorious thing. Also found some other stuff here:

http://www.harbour.sfu.ca/~hayward/van/glossary/jellyroll.html

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#791 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
April 29, 2006, 09:53:40 pm

Been loving Lily Allen over the last few days.

It's sort of cheeky, rude pop music, but it's funny and interesting.

You can hear some tracks on her myspace page, including her single LDN, which is no doubt going to get a shit load of summer radio play.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 10:04:37 pm by Bubba »

JR

• forum abuser
#792 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 02, 2006, 02:02:22 pm

SHIT! so I've just realised the above album was reviewed on Pitchfork, they're always one step ahead!! Review Here;
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/d/drake_nick/sculpting-from-drake.shtml

they're bang on with the ray speedway track though, what the fuck have they done to that!

saltbeef

• forum hero
#793 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 03, 2006, 11:57:29 pm
dobbinator informed me that mixmag has a richie hawtin mix cd on the cover. worth purchasing if you like techno. animal vegetable minimal.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#794 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 04, 2006, 10:00:52 am
dobbinator informed me that mixmag has a richie hawtin mix cd on the cover. worth purchasing if you like techno. animal vegetable minimal.

I think saltbeef meant to write "worth downloading since it's available all over the web". It's just a mix cd though, done by Richie, not any new tracks by richie. Still pretty good though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#795 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 04, 2006, 10:36:23 am
Overheard a couple of tracks from this last night http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000B6GIV8/qid=1146735232/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-0971389-4763659

It's fucking hilarious, although I don't think it's supposed to be. The swing version of "Smells like teen Spirit" is excellent. Worth buying to hear "Black Hole Sun" as well.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#796 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 04, 2006, 10:41:56 am
On the subject of such things, was it the Bare Naked Ladies who did a loungcore pop version of Public Enemy's Fight The Power? I remember someone had their album at school, and finding it rather entertaining...

Palomides

• forum abuser
#797 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 04, 2006, 12:10:23 pm
They did it for the Coneheads Soundtrack Album.

I currently have Primal Screams "Velocity Girl" on repeat on Winamp. Whoop.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 12:12:29 pm by Palomides »

Tim Heaton

• addict
#798 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 04, 2006, 01:45:45 pm
Speaking off odd covers. If you are a Will Oldham fan then you can listen to him covering R Kelly's Ignition

http://suckapants.com/2005/04/trapped-in-place-i-call-home.html

Link near the top of the page

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#799 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
May 04, 2006, 01:58:02 pm
Possibly the best cover of all time, IMHO of course, is The Gourds' cover of Gin 'n Juice. Saltbeef knows what I'm talking about..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal