UKBouldering.com

Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats (Read 708126 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1450 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 22, 2007, 10:22:33 pm
I wouldn't be so sure boys to think that people are ignoring your recommendations. I for one pay close attention to the opinions expressed herein...

With regards to the Deftones revival Si - I was a huge fan in their early days and still enjoy an infrequent good caning of White Pony and Around the Fur. (On a side-note, have you seen how big Chino Moreno is these days!? The man clearly has had a few too many cheesecakes).

I'd like to reiterate my love of Count Bass D. Anything by him is great as the man brings an educated, talented ear to hip hop. Please listen to him I beg you.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1451 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 23, 2007, 08:42:35 am
Don't know about everybody else, but I'm loving Mark Ronson's new tune Stop me. Really good sound.

http://www.myspace.com/markronson

The cover version of the old Smiths song? A bit too close to the original to have any merit.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1452 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 23, 2007, 09:20:22 am
I really hate to be a The Smiths fanatic on here but it's called "Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before".
Stop Me oh ho ho Stop me  :whistle:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1453 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 23, 2007, 09:41:37 am

Papa M

Uncle... Dave Pajo is doing small tour as PapaM in April and playing at Manchester Roadhouse on April 27th.. If I'm not working away I'll be going.

Also, Battles are playing at the Sheffield Corporation on 17th May, Manchester Academy on the 22nd, Leeds Uni on the 20th... and some other places I can't be arsed to list.

Chris/Pantontino - I've picked up more good music recomendations from here than anywhere else over the last few years.... you're not wasting your time.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1454 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 23, 2007, 03:55:02 pm
I downloaded (legally from eMusic) the new Early Years EP 'The Great Awakening' before I went on holiday and found it to be the perfect soundtrack for pre-surf psych and post-surf relaxation... Four quality varied tunes.
Props to Johnny Brown (who even owns a T-Shirt!)...

Its a good job I like the band really, cos I'd wear the t-shirt anyway. Has a habit of hypnotizing music fans in pubs.

Great to hear that. Myself and The Baron managed to catch them on thier recent tour. Much as I like the recorded stuff, they are a live band really. Its all about the interminable drone-rock build-ups, I for one can't get enough, hopefully at some point they'll be big enough to play deeply indulgent 90 minute sets of only 5 songs. Looking forward to the next manchester date on the 7th of May. Whilst on the subject, its worth checking out the BBC sessions (download from band's site) 'The Simple Solution' is particularly good, closer to the live version than the album. 

Ditto with the encouragement for reccomendations. I might not care for the techno or punk stuff but watch the folk/ americana like a hawk.

Don't know about everybody else, but I'm loving Mark Ronson's new tune Stop me.

Eh? Its dreadful, there aren't many records that make me change radio stations...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 04:04:37 pm by Johnny Brown »

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1455 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 23, 2007, 04:40:52 pm
were they playing the B52's?

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1457 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 23, 2007, 07:03:42 pm
I didn't know it was a cover, having never heard the original.

Still think its good, preordered his album.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1458 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 23, 2007, 08:32:28 pm
Ah Kraut Rock

Do you mean, Ah, they're a kraut rock band?

Or, Ah Kraut Rock...  I remember it well, the pulsing motorik beats, the drone of feedback, seventies prog rock meets german efficiency, the freeform vocals wailed out over the strict rhythms, Jaki Liebzit rebelling against his freeform jazz training and never altering the beat again, the twenty minute long songs, the impenetrable titles, the line-up changes, the cyclic waves builing to a slow-motion crescendo and taking me to pychedelic space-rock nirvana?

Stubbs

#1459 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 26, 2007, 10:22:12 am
No and yes? 

hmmmm

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1460 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 26, 2007, 06:53:22 pm
I too am pretty sure that everything I recommend gets ignored (with the obvious exception pointed out by Falling Down),

Not true. I took up your Wilco recommendation, and glad I did.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1461 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 26, 2007, 09:54:57 pm
got this t'other day: Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
First listening is very good, worth a look for sure

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#1462 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 26, 2007, 09:59:01 pm
got this t'other day: Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
First listening is very good, worth a look for sure

Very good live too. A good on the way back from the crag album.

cofe

• forum hero
#1463 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 26, 2007, 10:26:28 pm
have recently been listening to Chris Thile, 'How to grow a woman from the ground' http://www.myspace.com/christhile

and a selection of choice tunes from here: http://palmsout.blogspot.com/search/label/Remix%20Sunday

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1464 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 29, 2007, 12:46:40 pm
living in my trash media free zone i have only just come across jamie t. apparently he's been all over the radio recently. i hope he doesn't become too famous because then i'll look like a bit of a tit playing sheila at every bbq i have this summer...

I hated Jamie T when i first heard it but it's so grown on me - listening to the album, Panic Prevention all the time at the moment.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1465 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 29, 2007, 03:23:08 pm
New Kings of Leon on Monday. Eagerly anticipated by me, as I am not down with the downloading.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#1466 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 29, 2007, 08:24:18 pm
New Kings of Leon on Monday. Eagerly anticipated by me, as I am not down with the downloading.

Your not wrong, awesome band. Have just about worn Aha Shake Heartbreak out listening to it!

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#1467 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 29, 2007, 09:32:07 pm
Deftones revival part 2 tonight. Blasted Around the Fur out all the way to the crag. What an awesome slab of hardcore/metal that is - I was psyched out of my mind by the time I got there. Ticked a gnarly bugbear problem for the first time; I'm sure I was being powered by the residue of the music.

andy_e

• forum hero
#1468 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 29, 2007, 09:34:57 pm
I was gutted deftones was £18.95 in Leeds, on my budget there was no chance of going to see them. I've heard rumours that there's rumours of them splitting up too, which could mean there's not much chance of them playing again...  :'(

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#1469 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 29, 2007, 11:44:24 pm
Deftones are fuckin ace. Saw them about a month ago in a park 10mins down the road from home. They
were awesome.

Heres a pic of the fat boy taken on my shitty cameraphone:

Not heard about them splitting up tho although there were 'issues' involved in the new album. Oh well, from one possible split to one reformation - Off to see the Pixies tonight. A friend of mine represents Frank Black so its VIP freebies all the way. Nice  ;D 8)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#1470 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 29, 2007, 11:54:25 pm
Carnage, I'm jealous of your fancy gig-going lifestyle!

The Pixies - getting on a bit, but I'm sure they can still pull it off live. Surfer Rosa remains firmly stuck in my all-time-top-ten-greatest-albums list, and I doubt it'll ever be ousted.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#1471 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 30, 2007, 12:06:24 am
The Pixies - getting on a bit, but I'm sure they can still pull it off live.

Yup, they've still got it. Turn up, tear through set, no talking, go home. In fact the last time I saw them they played Wave of Mutilation twice and no-one seemed to care!

I just get lucky - Its that time of year for us I guess.

I saw the Eagles of Death Metal last week too.  Good dirty rock n' roll.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1472 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 30, 2007, 07:01:53 pm
I hate it when bands reform.  Outstaying your welcome first time around is bad enough, but reforming?  What a total lack of imagination. 

Slint, how could you?

As for the Pixies...  I was in love with the covergirl on Surfa Rosa for years...

andy_e

• forum hero
#1473 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 30, 2007, 07:05:45 pm
Renegade Hardware's Police State EP, the best tune probably being Call To Arms.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1474 Re: Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
March 30, 2007, 07:52:51 pm
Can;t see that going down so well with the Kraut Rock / indie punk massive, but obviously I endorse that recommendation....although I think I prefer FilthBath off it...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal