UKBouldering.com

Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats (Read 724924 times)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#675 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 09, 2006, 10:32:34 am
the joys of 5 hard drives and 2 computers! Just need that 1TB storage unit next and I'll be sorted...

but back to some music recommendations;

Six Organs of Admittance Can't remember if I've recommended this before, but even so, check them out. For Octavio Paz is an excellent instrumental album.

Mason Jennings for some nice guitar kind of music... like Xavier Rudd... you'll enjoy it.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#676 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 09, 2006, 08:42:30 pm
Quote from: "cofe"
on a differrent note; anyone checked out the Gnarls Barley track?
 album due soon. incredible sound.

I really like that track - which is called Crazy. If the rest of the album is as good then it'll be well worth getting.

Back to the Arctic Monkeys - I don't think they're like the best band evaahh or anything, but I like just their gritty down to earth lyrics about nights out in dodgy Sheffield pubs and clubs, etc.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#677 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 09, 2006, 08:46:06 pm
Quote from: "unclesomebody"
are we having a "my mp3 collection" is bigger than yours competition? If so, i'll start the bidding. Currently on about 400Gb.  :lol: so c'mon Jim, put your numbers up...

I've got about a Terrabyte of hard disk space over 3 PCs, plus a 100gig disk that's sitting on my desk doing nowt.

But only about 100gb is music. I tend to delete most stuff that I don't want to keep.

Also got lots of mp3 archived away on DVDs if I can work out where the hell they are.

rowena

• player
#678 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 10, 2006, 04:46:02 pm
The new one in the Back to Mine series by Liam Prodigy has an alright looking track list.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#679 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 10, 2006, 05:21:14 pm
link to that liam howlett mix here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BVPYPO/026-6851959-0677250

blimey, that's looking good isn't it?? His "dirtchamber session" mix from a few years back is sound as a pound too.

oh, and Chris...in my defence i still keep it real with an MD player, still haven't sold my soul to apple yet  :wink:

rowena

• player
#680 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 10, 2006, 05:31:11 pm
Have just been checking it out on www.tunes.co.uk along with 'An Evening with G15' and 'Isar Gold'.  Both of which sound rather fine too  :D  

First time i've come across that site, quite impressed.

Little Paul

• addict
#681 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 10, 2006, 07:15:35 pm
How come tommytwotone has such a massive avatar my 1 really small n crappy!!!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#682 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 10, 2006, 08:04:13 pm
cos I'm tha muthafuckin doggfatha...(plus bubba ain't noticed yet  :wink: )

dave

#683 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 10, 2006, 08:16:35 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
Back to the Arctic Monkeys - I don't think they're like the best band evaahh or anything, but I like just their gritty down to earth lyrics about nights out in dodgy Sheffield pubs and clubs, etc.

The lead singer/songwriter out of arctic monkeys is the son of my music teacher from school.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#684 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 10, 2006, 11:05:16 pm
on a house tip, have just got hold of "stella" by jam and spoon...quality from back in the day and a definate contender for my forthcoming bleau vid soundtrack...any other old skool house recommendations??

andy_e

• forum hero
#685 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 11, 2006, 10:42:15 am
West-(peak)side homeboys- Anybody going to see Quantic's live DJ set at the Roadhouse tonight?

andy_e

• forum hero
#686 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 11, 2006, 10:06:32 pm
Quote from: "andi_e"
West-(peak)side homeboys- Anybody going to see Quantic's live DJ set at the Roadhouse tonight?

too late  :cry:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#687 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 16, 2006, 03:15:40 pm
Have et to explore Boards of Canada, which is apparently a major omission on my part, as an Electronica lover.

Anyone recommend a good starting point?

andy_e

• forum hero
#688 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 16, 2006, 05:04:57 pm
BoC Geogaddi is always thought of to be good, and The Campfire Headphase is good too, with the exception of random long pauses aty the end of tracks- this might be because i d/led it.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#689 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 16, 2006, 05:19:10 pm
Quote from: "SA Chris"
Have et to explore Boards of Canada, which is apparently a major omission on my part, as an Electronica lover.

Anyone recommend a good starting point?

I'd start with "A Beautiful Place in the Country" EP then "Music has the right to children" then "Geogaddi" and finally "Campfire Headphase" although you might prefer the latter to Geogaddi...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#690 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 16, 2006, 08:37:10 pm
Geogaddi is becoming my fave BOC album, followed by MHTRTC.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#691 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 17, 2006, 08:38:36 am
Chris... I'll bring you the CD's up on Monday so you don't have to buy to try.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#692 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 17, 2006, 12:23:16 pm
Cheers Ben; I'm away on a course the whole week, but if you are going to RGU Wall, yoga or paying a visit to "The Shop" (phase 2 & 3 now complete!) can you drop them with whoever, and I will get them.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#693 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 17, 2006, 01:48:29 pm
Quote from: "Falling Down"
I'd start with "A Beautiful Place in the Country" EP

agreed. the hi scores ep is excellent too, my favourite track by boc is everything you do is a baloon, amazing, melancholy totally brilliant music. campfire headphase is ok but not a patch on the earlier stuff. i'm currently listening to speedy j, he who made the soundtrack for one summer, available on warp from the bleep website.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#694 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 17, 2006, 01:57:09 pm
Yeah, speedyJ has done some excellent stuff.

Been listening to some Jimi Tenor stuff on Warp too - quite good, sort of jazz/techno.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#695 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 17, 2006, 02:07:52 pm
some of it is rubbish though! anyway as bleep made a mess of my download i got a free album today, chris clark, empty the bones of you. nice clicks bleeps uneasy listening type thing. just the thing to unsettle whilst reading about syndrome of inappropriate antidiuuretic hormone. jimi tenor, neverr really got into it, some tracks are well good though i should try and revisit it.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#696 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 17, 2006, 02:23:20 pm
Jimi Tenor's Intervision is good, was also listening to another album (can't remember which one) where only about half the tracks were good.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#697 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 17, 2006, 05:10:03 pm
Back on the hip-hop side of things which seems grossly neglected at the moment (where are Dave, Cofe and TTT?), I put the following back on the hi-fi the other day and thoroughly enjoyed:

Ugly Duckling - Combo Meal / Taste The Secret

Obviously you get the usual UD old-skool style cheerful non-gangsta funk, but this time it's wrapped in one of those themed ideas - The Meat Shake. The sort of thing that could drive one mad as a gimmick but I find it works really well, the skits are nicely done, the whole thing is just appealingly silly, and well, for me it stands up to repeated listenings.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#698 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 17, 2006, 05:21:06 pm
this week i rediscovered c+c music factory.  if si o'connor ever puts out a bouldering video i wonder if he'd consider using "things that make you go hmmm" as the theme toon...?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#699 Funky f-f-f-f-f-ffffresh beats
February 20, 2006, 01:19:57 pm

Ray Barretto - La Cuna (1979)

Heard "Passtime Paradise" on Oneworld last night and thought I'd find out more - gorgeous music.

Quote from: "wikipedia"

Ray Barretto a.k.a. Hard Hands (April 29, 1929 – February 17, 2006) born in New York City, was a Puerto Rican jazz musician, widely credited as the godfather of Latin jazz. He was also the first Hispanic to record a latin song which became a "hit" in the American Billboard Charts.

Barretto's parents moved to New York from Puerto Rico in the early 1920s, looking for a better life. He was raised in Spanish Harlem and at a very young age was influenced by his mother's love of music and by the jazz music of musicians such as Duke Ellington and Count Basie.

In 1946, when Barretto was 17 years old, he joined the Army. While statiioned in Germany, Barretto met Belgium vibist Fats Sadi, who was working there. However, it was when he heard Dizzy Gillespie's "Manteca" with Cuban percussionist, Chano Pozo, that he realized his true calling in life.

In 1949, when Barretto returned home from the service, he started to visit clubs and participated in jam sessions, where he perfected his conga playing. On one occasion Charlie Parker heard Barretto play and invited him to play in his band. Later, he was asked to play for Jose Curbelo and Tito Puente, for whom he played for four years. Barretto developed a unique style of playing the conga and soon he was sought by other jazz band leaders. Latin percussionists started to appear in jazz groups with frequency as a consequence of Barretto's musical influence.

In 1960, Barretto was a house musician for the Prestige, Blue Note, and Riverside labels. New York had become the center of Latin music in the United States and a style called "Charanga" was the Latin music craze of the time.

In 1961, Barretto recorded his first hit, "El Watusi", the first Latin song to enter the Billboard charts. In 1967, he joined the Fania record label where he recorded "Acid", an experiment joining rhythm and blues with Latin music.

Barretto played the conga in recording sessions for the Rolling Stones and the Bee Gees. In 1975 he was nominated for a Grammy Award for the song "Barretto". From 1976 to 1978, Barretto recorded three records for Atlantic Records, including "La Cuna", and was nominated for a Grammy for "Barretto Live...Tomorrow". In 1979, he produced a salsa record for Fania, titled "Ricanstruction", which was named 1980 "Best Album" by Latin N.Y. Magazine, with Barretto crowned as Conga Player of the Year.

In 1990, Barretto finally won a Grammy for the album "Ritmo en el Corazon" (Rhythm in the Heart), which featured the vocals of Celia Cruz. In 1999, Barretto was inducted into the International Latin Music Hall of Fame.

Barretto lived in New York and was an active musical producer, as well as the leader of a touring band which has embarked in tours of the United States, Europe, Israel and Latin America. Barreto passed away 17 February 2006 at the Hackensack University Hospital of multiple health complications.
[/size]

R.I.P. geezer

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal