UKBouldering.com

What to do between fingerboard repeaters (Read 11869 times)

Doug

• regular
Hello,

I have recently begun fingerboarding and am wondering what should I be doing in the couple of minutes rest between sets of repeaters. Is there any SCIENCE which says that the body should be rested completely or would it be beneficial to do something such as push ups, core exercises or stretching? Or does it not make any difference?

At home I’m happy to do nothing, but the wall is not filled with such distractions and I feel like I should remain active.

Thanks.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE

At home I’m happy to do nothing, but the wall is not filled with such distractions and I feel like I should remain active.

Thanks.
Flirt with the girls.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
would it be beneficial to do something such as push ups, core exercises or stretching?

No, no and no. You could do those afterwards, although repeaters can target core pretty well in themselves. Just stay hydrated, and wander about a bit - gentle lower limb excercise may help your arms / fingers recover. If you feel like you have the oomph to start doing sets of push ups, perhaps you need to make the repeaters harder?

a dense loner

• forum hero
I do crosswords in between sets of power endurance probs. Keeps me on my toes in case stu littlefellow walks in

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
would it be beneficial to do something such as push ups, core exercises or stretching?

No, no and no. You could do those afterwards, although repeaters can target core pretty well in themselves. Just stay hydrated, and wander about a bit - gentle lower limb excercise may help your arms / fingers recover. If you feel like you have the oomph to start doing sets of push ups, perhaps you need to make the repeaters harder?

I know nothing but this work out has press-ups in between...

I also saw a Daniel Woods video recently of a fingerboard workout where he does press-ups and situps in between, but buggered if I can find it now, might be somewhere in this...

bendavison

• obsessive maniac

+1

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
I do my sets in the garage surrounded by bike and usually service something on the bike if I get bored... just have to remember to make sure my hands arent greasy when I jump back on the board, slip slide away.   :lol:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
get a chess computer

T_B

• forum hero

I generally do press ups and crunches/leg raises in between sets. And I do encores generally, rather than straight repeaters. If you're primarily targeting finger strength then how do you 'make the repeaters harder' to the point where you're not able to do leg raises? I purposefully don't add weight because a) I'm already bl**dy heavy and b) I struggle enough to double hand a 15mm edge as it is, for 6 reps at 7 seconds. That said, I do think my repeater sessions have become a bit too 'routine' and I'd be interested in hearing how I might vary them, without getting back into assisted 1 arm locks that always seem to aggravate my elbows.

tomtom

• forum hero
I go on UKB. Or look at myself in a mirror and growl.

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
If you're primarily targeting finger strength then how do you 'make the repeaters harder' to the point where you're not able to do leg raises?.... I'd be interested in hearing how I might vary them, without getting back into assisted 1 arm locks that always seem to aggravate my elbows.

I always feel pretty tired after a repeater rep/set - so either you're fitter than me or I try harder. They should be utterly desperate, and its possible to tweak the difficulty so that you fail in the last second or two of each minute chunk. This meant that basically every session was different in some small way.

To make them harder:
1. change the structure so that you can use harder holds. e.g. 6 on 4 off, or 5 on 5 off, or combinations of holds to transition. This could mean that you do the first half of a minute with 7 on 3 off, then go down a second (just always write it down!). I also had a session where I would do 5 on 10 off, 5 times which allowed me to use MUCH harder holds.
2. add weight - so what if you're heavy. Add a kg or 2 if its too easy but the next grip type is too hard. I found this really good for making (or at least making it seem like I was making) incremental improvements and for transitioning between holds. Good for forcing improvement.

Write it all down. Exactly when you failed in each set and for how much time, why you failed, conditions etc...

T_B

• forum hero
Cheers Ben. I think I need to get a Beastmaker or add some more wooden edges. At the mo  I have a Moon board + 15mm edge, which is pretty limited holds wise.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

I heard that you stand on a chair and shout "I'm a winner!"

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

I heard that you stand on a chair sharks ladder and shout "I'm a winner!"

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

I heard that you stand on a chair sharks ladder and shout "I'm a wanker!"

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
I do my sets in the garage surrounded by bike and usually service something on the bike if I get bored... just have to remember to make sure my hands arent greasy when I jump back on the board, slip slide away.   :lol:
I repaired a puncture recently while between sets but normally I just throw some darts but without the couple of pints the pros have lined up

tomtom

• forum hero

I heard that you stand on a chair sharks ladder and shout "I'm a wanker!"

Nope

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I repaired a puncture recently while between sets but normally I just throw some darts but without the couple of pints the pros have lined up

Are the pints, throwing darts and then fixing punctures in any way related?

Fadanoid

• addict

Thanks.
Flirt with the girls.

For some reason that has conjured up the image from the 80s swimming pool rules poster of "No Petting"

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Its the best suggestion so far though.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser

And also the most improbable.

rich d

• forum hero

And also the most improbable.

unless you're an intense Italian.

tomtom

• forum hero
MrsTT baulked at the idea of being flirted at between deadhangs. I interpreted that from the grunt of derision and the turning up of the volume of whatever period costume vampire WW1 drama she was watching ;)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
I'm really fascinated that people are too knackered to do a set of pressups or a bit of running/leg work between repeater sets.  What part of it feels too hard?  I'm very curious as I do mine to failure, but certainly can fit a set of pressups or leg lifts in he 3-4 minutes in between repeaters. 

Actually, based on my records I find that I perform far better on my repeaters with a short hard run in between sets. I have a .3 mile loop that I do with a short easy jog, a hard minute run, then an easy jog to finish the lap around the block, then another hang set.  My theory has been that the running increases the blood flow, allowing for improved recovery between sets.  Granted I'm likely fitter cardio-wise than many on here (generally running 20-30mi a week), but I know from the powerclub posts that there are certainly others as fit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal