UKBouldering.com

greater manchester (Read 6047 times)

clm

• forum hero
greater manchester
July 09, 2004, 06:37:36 pm
Few people seem to give a fuck but around manchester is my hood.  the westside recieves less attention than it should (maybe too far for you peak locals) but is underrated.  any ravings appreciated, especially referring to the bolton quarries. local knowledge essential :wink: .

clm

• forum hero
#1 greater manchester
July 09, 2004, 06:42:20 pm
Wilton 1 chimney butress has a traverse to rival hobbys and the one at the bottom of keyhole wall at millstone. if continued on to the outside face of the prow it becomes a mission much harder than the full hobby (font grade - who gives a fuck)
there are some quality but easy (6a) probs at the bottom af chimney butress.
brownstones - the stones.........are brown, nuff said.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 greater manchester
July 09, 2004, 08:46:33 pm
Remember doing a low traverse from Parasite (I think it's parasite, the arete with an iron loop thing) to cameo in my youth. Thought it was quite hard then. Quite long, but very good in a sideways shuffling kind of way.

Come to think of it I did a fair bit of bouldering in the quarries but I can't remember half of it. Did a fair bit at Denham on the Monk Puzzle bit, Anglezarke, eliminates on the Grey wall area, doing traverses then finishing up the E4 on the right (well to the half way break), bits at Wilton, Stanworth before it got too smelly. Hmm.

Is there a block in one of the Wilton quarries (2 or 3) on the hill on the RHS? Vaguely remember something there but god knows what.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 greater manchester
July 22, 2004, 01:40:48 pm
Is there a block in one of the Wilton quarries (2 or 3) on the hill on the RHS? Vaguely remember something there

Ooh clm that don't sound good. Perhaps you could shed some local knowledge on this one :wink:

clm

• forum hero
#4 greater manchester
September 30, 2004, 06:54:48 pm
just thought...is there a guide or topo to this area? apart from the routey one.  might be a bit obscure like.  oh  and jonny there are a couple of other things on the block - still a couple to do too but with bad landings (about twenty foot up a bank).  im holding out for a visit one of these days.

JR

• forum abuser
#5 greater manchester
September 30, 2004, 07:08:10 pm
theres some not bad "for the area" bouldernig at denham...  theres a topo somewhere will try and dig it out

JR

• forum abuser

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#7 Harcles Hill
October 01, 2004, 12:57:50 am
Apparently there are a few problems at Harcles Hill, someone on ukclimbing was offering a topo

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=99052

Haven't checked it out yet, cos I'm injured. Mostly easy stuff, and sit starts, but I think there's a v5 or harder as well.

Also at Brownstones, someone once showed me a few good eliminates, including a horrible V5 mantel, which is horrible mostly because you have to get your foot under your manteling hand! :boz:  

..So what's this block? - is in Wilton 2 or 3? I''ve looked before but not found it... :?

And what problems are on it?

Graeme

• menacing presence
#8 greater manchester
October 01, 2004, 07:54:35 am
The block is in wilton 3, on your right as you go in IIRC, and I have a copy of the Harcle's Hill guide, it's definately in the don't make a special trip category, unless you happen to be in the area. If you want a copy mail or pm me or whatever. Brief outline to Harcles hill, established problems upto 6a, ( I think a bit generous from when I used to climb there) and  a couple of projects.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#9 greater manchester
October 01, 2004, 11:09:04 am
Oh how I've waited from the age of 11 to discuss the endless eliminates at Brownstones...............

clm

• forum hero
#10 greater manchester
October 01, 2004, 04:24:16 pm
thing about nw bouldering is that it seems to be a work in progress or abandoned - news stops early 2003 and nowt much about the quarries (aaaah, the quarries).
so come on dylan, spill yer pearls. (thats not inteneded to sound sexual)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 greater manchester
October 01, 2004, 04:26:34 pm
I thought nwbouldering became lakesbloc?

r-man

• forum hero
#12 greater manchester
October 01, 2004, 05:41:21 pm
Yeah, I'd be interested in those eliminates as well.
 :idea: The ones I know about are:

6b/V5 - In between Haskit right hand and Dragnet - Foot high and pull on that undercling. Use any holds in between the cracks of Haskit rh and Dragnet. apparently there's also 6c version that avoids the jugs on the left. :D

6b/V5 - Eliminate mantel. A little to the right of Dragnet is a largish flat hold. Use only this and the crimp higher up (you have to mantel to reach it) to stand up and go for something higher (can't remember what, but it doesn't matter). the crux for me was getting my foot under the manteling hand. :x

6b/V4 - Use only the upper break of two-step lh for feet and hands to reach the top. Nice rockover. If the upper break is too easy, then maybe it's the lower break. Or maybe it's both. hmmm. Twas a while back. :?

6a/V3 - Stand on the large sloper at the bottom of Hernia, and use only the top for hands. I think that's right... Quite a frustrating problem, if your shoes are knackered.

Yeah, that's all I can properly remember. I'm sure there are good 6c eliminates on Ash Pit slab Direct and Obscenity, but I can't remember which holds. Also around Jerry there are a couple of slopers to connect at 6b.

So that's my tuppence worth. Anyone know any more?

And I'm sure there must be some good bouldering in some of the lesser quarries around bolton? I've just got back from uni after 4 years, so as soon as my arm is better (bloody tendons) I'm going to start exploring. Any suggestions?

Nigel

• forum hero
#13 greater manchester
October 01, 2004, 06:56:27 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
I thought nwbouldering became lakesbloc?

Not really B. The deal is that Greg had always thought of doing a website for his topos (yes, he was giving them out free well before t'internet!), but probably couldn't be arsed. This old geeza from nearby says he'll do a site, so Greg gives him topos, we sort out a graded list for him (with repeats), suggested all the things on there like the prob of the month, posed for pictures for him, gave him news, etc. What happens? Fizzles out after a month. So G does what he should have done all along and starts his own webber. Phew!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 greater manchester
October 01, 2004, 06:57:54 pm
Cheers for that Nigel, I was never quite sure what the score was there...

clm

• forum hero
#15 greater manchester
October 01, 2004, 07:06:08 pm
just left of muddy wall, sit start in niche and rock out 6a.
slimer slab - gradually eliminate holds - 5c through 6c
right hand finish to the key - high ball project.

r-man

• forum hero
#16 greater manchester
October 09, 2004, 01:30:46 am
Apparently, at Wilton 3, "boulder problems litter every spare but of rock". really? What problems? Anyone know any?

And also, Egerton quarry offers "good bouldering and a sustained low-level traverse at 6a". Hmmm. I was there a few days ago and nothing looked that appealing. I could be wrong. (Tell me I'm wrong and give me a reason to go back for seconds..) :wink:

clm

• forum hero
#17 greater manchester
October 09, 2004, 09:23:52 am
few round the bay at the bottom of constables overhang - i guess the start of this route would make some kinda highball.  it seems nails.  there are always brushed crimps at the bottom of slipshod.  most of it seems to be just finding bits and bobs at the bottom of routes.  and then theres that block on the hill..... you can travers most of th quarry too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal