UKBouldering.com

Van camping in the Tarn (Read 1690 times)

AJM

• obsessive maniac
Van camping in the Tarn
May 02, 2014, 11:04:37 am
Have heard a few things from friends and friends of friends that the authorities in the Tarn have cracked down a lot on unofficial van dossing round the Tarn/Boffi/Jonte area.

Anyone had any recent (ideally this year) experience, especially at this time of year (the stories I've heard have been of high summer, so I'm hoping it might be a Rodellar-esque situation where they don't care in the low season)?

Cheers,

Andy

Ali

• regular
#1 Re: Van camping in the Tarn
May 02, 2014, 12:41:04 pm
We had three nights (one night in each of Tarn, Boffi & Jonte) at end of March with no problems, but obviously could just have been lucky. If there is an issue with wild camping then it would be quite a problem between around mid-oct and mid apr as there don't seem to be any campsites in the area open then.

wsmith

• player
    • Hard Wood Holds
#2 Re: Van camping in the Tarn
May 02, 2014, 04:25:44 pm
I was there in April last year and had a shit experience with the police there. They werent keen on dossing in general and came through quite regularly to move people on. People with vans were told they weren't allowed to sleep in their vans overnight but could sleep on the floor outside their vans instead and that was fine! We didnt have a van so were bivvying (tents arent allowed)  but were fined 130 euros for using a camping stove outside and were told that stoves are only allowed inside vehicles (surely more dangerous?!).

That said, I didnt hear of anyone getting fined for being caught van sleeping, they were just warned and moved on. I'd suggest driving for a bit and finding somewhere more secluded than the laybys below the crags where everyone else stays.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Van camping in the Tarn
May 03, 2014, 08:21:14 am
Cheers guys. Reckon we will give it a go and if we get hassled enough that we get sick of it we will crack and go to a campsite. We had an overnight at Boffi and one where the road goes up the hairpins above les vignes on our way down with no hassle but then the whole place was dead then.

I seem to remember peupliers in Le rozier is fairly cheap and open a wider range than many of the others, I've certainly been there start of April before.

RichK

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Van camping in the Tarn
May 03, 2014, 12:15:50 pm
We were van dossing in tarn a couple of weeks ago and had no issue. We avoided the usual "convenient" spots near the crags and chose to drive up out of gorge base either side of Les Vignes 10 mins or so. The park ups higher up are far superior - although I am one for a scenic doss. If you park near planet cause or in valley anywhere then I'd expect hassle.

We had no issues at Boffi parked at the trail head.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal