UKBouldering.com

Mongolia (Read 13638 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#25 Mongolia
July 13, 2004, 11:18:42 am
:oops: Yes i do mean Limonite (which is something like a cross between a french lemon and a climbing photoghrapher). It's been a few years since i was at uni :oldgit: .

AndyR

• forum hero
#26 Mongolia
July 13, 2004, 11:20:16 am
Quote from: "AndyR"
[
Most grit cements are actually a mixture of iron hydroxides, quartz and clays, which is why it's so variable.

Doh - I meant to say calcite rather than quartz.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#27 Mongolia
July 13, 2004, 11:25:30 am

shocking, i don't know where you lot bought your geology degree's from but i'd be asking for a refund............................

AndyR

• forum hero
#28 Mongolia
July 13, 2004, 12:01:49 pm
Quote from: "hongkongstuey"

shocking, i don't know where you lot bought your geology degree's from but i'd be asking for a refund............................

At least we didn't get them from a dodgy street vendor in Honkers......

Blunk

• obsessive maniac
#29 Mongolia
July 13, 2004, 09:07:56 pm
no they don't have grit, i think they're called griddles now. if they did have grit it would be bigger n better than our's n they wouldn't let us forget it. a fairly safe bet that they don't have it then.
sorry blunk  

Dense, what I've got that is bigger and better than yours is a currently expanding waistline. Up 2 kilos in the past month! Blame the beer and overly hot summer days. ':wink:'

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#30 Mongolia
July 14, 2004, 09:39:08 am
i think you'll find granite under the section that says igneous rock, not volcanic............

laymans terms so as not to confuse...

I haven't climbed in the eastern US, but there's a good chance that there may be grit there - this is because the appalachians are the same chain of mountains as the scottish highlands - so any proximal deltaic sediments formed from the eroding hills could be very grit-like.

Pat King has told such tales of yankee grit in this area... not the most reliable source but I'd agree its the most likely spot

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#31 Mongolia
July 14, 2004, 10:34:18 am
No grit that I'm aware of in the eastern US, although they have a lot of coarse sandstone (e.g: Citadel in Alabama). This stuff is ace to climb on, but its not God's Own Rock, its coarse sandstone! Our grit is pretty unique..... I'm sure the same rock exists in other locations, but we haven't found it yet, and when we do, whats the betting the crags won't be as good or as wide spread as the grit crags of the Peak?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#32 Mongolia
July 14, 2004, 10:53:41 am
...and yorkshire :roll:

bigphil

• menacing presence
#33 Mongolia
July 14, 2004, 01:10:53 pm
Eloquently said Mr Brown.  Was that your whole first year at Uni compressed into a few short paragraphs or the whole three years?  Anyway, it reminded me of a lot of things I had forgotten.  Cheers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal