UKBouldering.com

Dealing with sweaty hands (Read 2849 times)

as646

Dealing with sweaty hands
April 24, 2014, 09:02:52 pm
I sweat - a lot. Any kind of slightly tenuous crimp or sloper becomes immediately greasy from what seems to be the slightest touch. I have this problem on both rock and plastic, though plastic seems exponentially more difficult to pull on when soaking wet. Is there anything I can do to help alleviate the problem? There seems to come a point where chalk doesn't really do much apart from get chalky gunge all over the holds....

I've heard mixed things about antihydral as a solution. Anyone have any experience with the stuff?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Re: Dealing with sweaty hands
April 24, 2014, 09:51:01 pm
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,22390.msg409065.html#msg409065 may or may not help.

Liquid chalk is a real boon for bouldering / short routes.

Resting skin a lot in between sessions.

Wear less clothes to cool down. Shirt off and beanie on is ideal.

Anti-hydral is good for a stop-gap for a couple of days, it does dry the skin out effectively (I put a tiny bit on and rub it in well and leave it overnight, if I try to put it on during the day I just sweat it straight off), BUT it does have the risk of drying the skin too much, causing cracking in the joins and thick regrowth that will peel off. It's not one for long term usage in my experience.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2 Re: Dealing with sweaty hands
April 24, 2014, 10:34:42 pm
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,22390.msg409065.html#msg409065 may or may not help.

Liquid chalk is a real boon for bouldering / short routes.

Resting skin a lot in between sessions.

Wear less clothes to cool down. Shirt off and beanie on is a surefire way of looking like a total cunt and is completely unnecessary. If you're undecided just watch some of my videos, I'd turn the sound down though if I were you.

Anti-hydral is good for a stop-gap for a couple of days, it does dry the skin out effectively (I put a tiny bit on and rub it in well and leave it overnight, if I try to put it on during the day I just sweat it straight off), BUT it does have the risk of drying the skin too much, causing cracking in the joins and thick regrowth that will peel off. It's not one for long term usage in my experience.

I agree.

ardeer

• player
#3 Re: Dealing with sweaty hands
April 25, 2014, 12:10:51 am
i go with a good dunk in chalk then rub to make horrid chalk paste, flick that off then wipe my hands on my trousers and rechalk, i sweat alot. my mate tried something designed for pole dancers, didnt work so save your search history on that one.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#4 Re: Dealing with sweaty hands
April 25, 2014, 08:07:31 am
I have very sweaty hands and I find climbing indoors very difficult because of it.

I swear by liquid chalk and have to use it before every route and then keep chalking up even when i'm resting to keep my hands dry.

I also find when my skin is thin I sweat more.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#5 Re: Dealing with sweaty hands
April 25, 2014, 10:03:41 am
You almost fooled me there Jasper, you 24 carat knobchewer.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Dealing with sweaty hands
April 25, 2014, 10:48:43 am
I used to suffer badly from sweaty hands, but I found a psychological remedy. I had to undergo 2-3 months of aversion therapy where every time I got sweaty hands I would look at a heavily laminated photograph of Lagerstarfish emitting a power growl whilst wearing a (rather scruffy and well used looking) lime coloured mankini. Once past the initial nausea, this would lead to the blood draining from my hands making them cooler and sweatless.

There are other residual side effects I don't wish to discuss.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7 Re: Dealing with sweaty hands
April 25, 2014, 11:29:00 am
I can do you a signed photo to provide an extra chilling effect

cha1n

• forum hero
#8 Re: Dealing with sweaty hands
April 25, 2014, 03:01:05 pm
Anti-hydral + less clothes for me. I've been using anti-hydral long-term with no I'll effects but you have to learn how to use it and know when to stop. Never apply to the creases of the skin, only the pads.

webbo

• forum hero
#9 Re: Dealing with sweaty hands
April 25, 2014, 06:26:43 pm
I don't know about anybody else but the thought of a semi naked man with sweaty hands is a bit  :sick:

haydn jones

• forum hero
#10 Re: Dealing with sweaty hands
April 25, 2014, 11:20:31 pm
I second less cloths and anti-hydral, i use it permanently, when skin gets to thick, file that shit down, and moisturise... when its hot i just accept that my hands are gonna sweat and drop my grade, or choose longer problems where the holds aren't so friction dependent. early mourning sessions ftw.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal