UKBouldering.com

It's the economy stupid . . . (Read 7724 times)

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#25 Re: It's the economy stupid . . .
April 25, 2014, 05:35:52 pm
Sloper there's no point in arguing with sheffields foremost Thom Yorke impersonator he's much to clever and strong ............... so strong.

petejh

• forum hero
#26 Re: It's the economy stupid . . .
April 25, 2014, 05:46:46 pm
He must be a Capricorn. They're supposed to be strong.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#27 Re: It's the economy stupid . . .
April 25, 2014, 08:33:08 pm
Cancer. Underneath that strong exterior I'm soft and caring. No one sees my caring side.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#28 Re: It's the economy stupid . . .
April 26, 2014, 09:53:59 am
Well done Sloper you missed my point quite spectacularly.

Your original post was about politics and perception in terms of the economy (why so many Guardian links otherwise?) and that's what I was replying to.

Thanks for the explanation but unlike Dave and Gideot, I understand the concept of debt and deficit perfectly well. In fact, this is exactly my point.

The Tories used and continue to use the economy as their personal political football. Everything bad about it was the last lot's fault and everything good is down to them, if the facts get in the way they just lie (do I really need to post the links about Cameron being told off for "confusing" debt and deficit again?!).

What I was saying is, why do Labour seem incapable of similar politics when they have so many open goals to aim at? The average person doesn't understand the intricacies of economics (or even the basics) which is why politicians get away with such crap.

The amount of borrowing is just one example. There's the moving the goalposts on growth, there's plan A failing miserably, there's nicking Labour's policy on capital expenditure, there's the fact that the economy has recovered despite, not because of Osborne, etc etc.

Labour should have been wiping the floor with Osborne for the past few years rather than allowing him to get into a position where he can take credit for the current upturn. That was what I was saying.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#29 Re: It's the economy stupid . . .
April 26, 2014, 10:42:56 am
Surely, from this lay-mans perspective, the policies of the current Gov have little to nothing to do with any current recovery; much as the previous lot had little to do with the crisis and collapse? Both of these things are essentially global in scale, with regions trailing along behind the major economies, like carriages behind a Gulag Express?

I was an Expat at the time of the crisis and splitting my time between the Mid East and Europe (with several US customer too) and I would say Britain came off quite lightly.

I have never understood the blinkered attitudes here. In today's world individual Gov policies are like trying to steer the Titanic with a lifeboat oar.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#30 Re: It's the economy stupid . . .
April 26, 2014, 12:35:56 pm
What Matt said.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#31 Re: It's the economy stupid . . .
April 26, 2014, 07:58:43 pm
what jonny said about matt, but mainly what jasper said to sloper as well. My job mainly involves palming work off to other people so I'm loving the way this thread is developing.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#32 Re: It's the economy stupid . . .
April 30, 2014, 11:21:48 am

For the...home owner with a mortgage, you've never had it so good. 

At this rate we can expect some tax cuts and a thumping Conservative majority at the next election, house prices and rent rates to rise, and an even larger gap between the haves and the have nots.

If I were Ed Balls that's where I would start.

My point summed up a lot more eloquently here:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/29/rent-tenants-private-landlords-power-regulation

Those brilliant returns for landlords are not free; or in other words, they are not windfalls from a beneficent universe.

They are the direct result of a market in which people are being screwed for more and more of their income in rent. They cannot, therefore, amass the capital to buy, and so have to rent for longer, leaving them even more powerless in the face of price increases that bear no relation to their income. It's a racket, in other words: a game of Monopoly that won't end.

petejh

• forum hero
#33 Re: It's the economy stupid . . .
April 30, 2014, 01:07:26 pm
What Moo said, and also Jasper; but also some of what Sloper said in response to Stu.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal