UKBouldering.com

Corsica (Read 5502 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Corsica
July 09, 2004, 09:57:57 am
Meant to put this into a proper article a while back, but here we go.

Corsica is a top place but the bouldering is hard to find - most of the best looking stuff we saw, around Ajaccio was too crumbly and rough to be much use for bouldering, but inland we managed to find the pretty good area of Valdu Di Saltu.

There is very little information on Valdu online, and we got there by translating this page. There's also a few other pics here

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Corsica
July 09, 2004, 10:02:42 am
Ok, firstly the stuff around Ajaccio - basically, drive south from Ajaccio down the coast and you'll come accross these venues. I can't remember the name of the village to head for, but it's not too hard to find.

A nice place to chill and the snorkelling looked good, but the bouldering was a dissapointment - crunchy, friable rock with terrible landings.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Corsica
July 09, 2004, 10:15:21 am
Now, Valdu Di Saltu:

This place consists of a large area of high quality granite boulders on top of a hill in a pretty remote location inland. We didn't see any other people or much chalk, despite the fact that the place has been seen a considerable amount of development. There's a real forest feel to the place, and you can see the activities of wild boar all around the place.

There's a lot of scope for further development here, with some amazing boulders still left uncleaned. Also, across the other side of the valley there seemed to be a shit load more rock.

All in all, great bouldering in a tranquil, undisturbed setting.

I've put a lot of detail into the approach as it's not easy to find and took me ages the first time.

Damn, the pics have appeared backwards - follow the directions from valdu01.jpg to valdu08.jpg   :oops:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Corsica
July 09, 2004, 10:20:44 am
After following the track for a while, you'll come out onto the top of the hill and the first set of boulders.

Keep going and there's a load more boulders on the top of the hill, and more dropping down the hillside to the left for quite some way - I never reached the bottom.

Also, there's another huge area which is hard to find for the first time. See pic .

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Corsica
July 09, 2004, 10:22:12 am
Some pics of the boulders

toto

#5 Corsica
July 12, 2004, 01:09:27 am
also much quality info 'bout the blocs down in corsica on the french bouldering site zebloc http://bloc.ifrance.com/bloc/ provided you sais lire francais.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Corsica
July 12, 2004, 09:14:25 am
Yeah, the article on that site is the only other information about Valdu Di Saltu on the web, and is where I translated the directions from originally - follow my version, it's easier!!

AndyR

• forum hero
#7 Corsica
July 14, 2004, 10:30:26 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
Yeah, the article on that site is the only other information about Valdu Di Saltu on the web, and is where I translated the directions from originally - follow my version, it's easier!!

There's a fantastic bouldering spot (Punta Di Capineru) next to the sea right down in the south, about 5-10 km north of Bonifacio on the road to Ajaccio - think the details are on coronn.com, but the directions are absolute bobbins.

Low granite dome covered in large boulders with prob about 100 problems covering all grades - nice climbing and a fantastic spot. Have some photos, but they're on slide and I don't have a slide scanner.......

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Corsica
July 14, 2004, 10:32:22 am
Here's the link

http://coronn.com/TOPOS/freeTOPOS_download.html

We never got that far south, but that area does look nice.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal