UKBouldering.com

hampi (Read 5062 times)

a dense loner

• forum hero
hampi
July 08, 2004, 03:23:31 pm
hampi is truly awesome for bouldering n hangin out. almost exclusively crimpy climbin on amazin orange rock. one of the only drawbacks could be that the rocks didn't tend to give out very easy probs.
half a day from goa, we preferred to set up base on the 'other' side of the river were it's a bit quieter. there is way too much climbin for anyone, the best days where when we hired bikes n cycled for miles to boulder.
the irony is when we were there, pre sharma vid, the amount of climbers that came there to get away from goa was ridiculous n none of them ever brought shoes :oops:
the only drawbacks about hampi is that it's in a third world country, i was ill for 5 weeks n came back lookin like a comp climber, n also people go there to 'find themselves'.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#1 Re: hampi
August 25, 2006, 04:01:09 pm
hampi is indeed a tres cool place, best sampled during the winter months (i went in winter 97/98)

nice little bloggy site here: http://www.pils-trips.com/hampi06/index.html

add the superb vijayanagar ruins and you have one schweet destination

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Re: hampi
August 25, 2006, 06:14:07 pm
Great site.

Wish he'd update it with current comings and goings.

JohnM

• junky
#3 Re: hampi
August 25, 2006, 07:48:20 pm
Yeah good site with lots of nice pics.  Although has anyone else gone on a bouldering trip with no food and resorted to eating horse shit :o ???

http://www.pils-trips.com/spiti05/shit.html

dom

• addict
#4 Re: hampi
August 25, 2006, 09:55:20 pm
Cool site.
I'm pretty sure i met that guy bouldering at the bowderstone a couple of years ago.  Really nice guy and a good boulderer.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#5 Re: hampi
August 26, 2006, 11:19:51 am
full props to the guy, he's prepared to live a life of hardship to realise his dreams

and who knows, perhaps dried horse poo is the new wunder supplement...farewell spinach!!

conn

#6 Re: hampi
August 26, 2006, 11:32:12 am
Yeah good site with lots of nice pics.  Although has anyone else gone on a bouldering trip with no food and resorted to eating horse shit :o ???

http://www.pils-trips.com/spiti05/shit.html

pretty sure the horse shit is for cooking but i can't be sure of this.  met him in hampi he said back in the day he'd be able to live for about £10 a month in the lahore valley up north.  i don't envy him but i did find him very inspiring, hes a bit of a pioneer. most of the best looking lines in hampi and beyond up to about 7c were put up by him, a lot without pads, spotters and occasionally the ability to walk for the next 3 months.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#7 Re: hampi
August 28, 2006, 08:53:51 am
full props to the guy, he's prepared to live a life of hardship to realise his dreams

This made me laugh.   In his BMW!

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#8 Re: hampi
August 29, 2006, 08:02:31 am
you cad sir!

:oops:

andyh

• stalker
#9 Re: hampi
August 29, 2006, 01:09:37 pm
bit of a long shot this but does anyone know if it's possible to buy mats out there?

i don't wanna have to lug mine round the himalayas first.

cheers

conn

#10 Re: hampi
August 29, 2006, 01:59:59 pm
think theres somewhere in dehli you may be able to get one (sorry to be so vague). equally you can hire/ borrow one out there. the goan corner guesthouse has a couple, and nice woman named Begum at rollos restaurant has quite a lot though they're a bit battered

bobby knut

#11 Re: hampi
September 01, 2006, 09:50:02 am
you can buy pads in delhi at a shop called adventure 18. they're made in india by indians so they're not quite as good as you'd get back at home, obviously.
i bought on last year for about 40 quid and it lasted the whole of the trip, about 9 n\months with every day use. the big problem is that they weigh a bloody ton. about 6kg i reckon. nd the straps ain't that good either.
much better to bring one from home like i have this time. no probs with the plane and if you don't want to drag it round the mountains you can always leave it in delhi and pick it up on the way past. can't se why you'd want to do that though. there's a few really good places up in the mountains to get it out and have a boulder.
i'll be up there for the next two months and be falling off things every day.
oh aye, the shop in delhi is near the imf climbing wall and you want a sound bloke called mohit oberoi. :thumbsup:
is conn danny from darn south by the way?

andyh

• stalker
#12 Re: hampi
September 01, 2006, 10:23:52 am
i'm going to the mountains the long way round, via thailand, so really can't be arsed with the hassle of hauling a mat everywhere with me.

cheers for the info - gives me a few options

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal