UKBouldering.com

squamish (Read 3040 times)

a dense loner

• forum hero
squamish
July 08, 2004, 03:06:38 pm
i personally rate squamish as the worst place i have ever travelled to. purely because of the amount of pads you need for most problems and the amount of spotters needed. there are a lot of quality problems, with good landings to about V5. after that it's a much greyer area, most things need good stacking of pads, bodies etc. the further up you go to the chief, the more you hear the rocks thudding around you from the (over zealous?) aiders. i thought there was going to be a lot more bouldering than there was.
apart from the climbing, the only thing to do is go to the brew pub in town. this is, without a shadow of a doubt, the worst beer i have ever tasted. strangely,the yanks n canadians seemed to think it was nice. it also shows mountain biking and climbing vids which get quite tedious after the second time.
having said this if i had only gone for a week i would probably have said it was world class, like people rave about. however, it fall's very short in my never took any notice of anyway opinion.
the routes n the mountain bikin did look amazin :shock:

Kim

• forum abuser
#1 squamish
July 08, 2004, 04:33:55 pm
i think dense is being a little harsh, so here's the positive slant...  :D

i went there for 3 days an thought it was pretty cool. it's nowhere near as extensive as font, but there is a high concentration of quality problems. for full value you need a posse an a stack of mats - lots of stuff i wanted to try i couldn't cos you'd want a couple of mats and spotters.
the most popular area is the grand wall area under the chief, but if you go to the north walls area further round it is deserted and just as good problems, and there's lots of new stuff to be cleaned/discovered.
i dint climb anything harder than v4 but it was still all top notch and loads of it, and lots of the harder stuff looks quality.

so there. :mrgreen:

Kim

• forum abuser
#2 squamish
July 08, 2004, 04:40:11 pm
Easy in an Easy Chair - classic V4

a dense loner

• forum hero
#3 squamish
July 08, 2004, 06:26:51 pm
nice one kim, you have just confirmed everything i said. grades up to V5 r mostly good probs with good landings. it's not extensive. u need a high ratio of spotters n mats to enjoy the harder probs. you only had 3 days there, as i pointed out i would have said world class if i was there for a week.
am not saying it was all bad, i just wouldn't make it a destination for a bouldering trip from britain.
easy in an easy chair is a quaity prob, but if you only climbed up to V4 that means you wouldn't have done Viper V5 which is world class n the best prob there! followed closely by wormwold cave!  :soapbox:

Kim

• forum abuser
#4 squamish
July 08, 2004, 08:30:57 pm
don't go gettin all logical on me  :twisted:   :lol:

was gonna ask if u did viper cos that looked quality, i'd still be psyched to go back for the harder stuff, plenty looked proper bo!

dave

#5 squamish
June 14, 2005, 12:14:39 am
yo just got back. weather weren't too kind to us there, but got a good morning in on the boulders and a couple of evengings.

I was there with 1 pad and an my good lady spotting where necessary and did a load of good shit up to V7 and i'm pretty sure theres stuff with good landings acros the grade scale. in the lower grades there are some superb slabs, slabby grooves etc. Many of the stuff has landings no worse that a lot of stuff at the plantation. I only really got to look at the lower level stuff along the psyche ledge road, didn't get up to the stuff up by worm world or undertow, but most of the accessable stuff low down has a very cuisiniere feel about it, generally fair to middling landings.

Theres a fair bit of locals type stuff (i.e. wack landings, ultra low starts, traverses ets) but you've got loads to go at without bothering with it. ALso the stuff at the north walls looks just as good as the grand wall stuff and with generally better landings. The bouldering guide is good and fairly easy to follow, looks like a carbon copy of the cockfax peak bouldering guide only for squamish.

I would certainly love to go there again, maybe in better weather (autumn time?). the routes there also look off-the-hook. And the beer at the brewpub is good dense, if you can accept everything will be chilled. the stout is especially worthy, and the food there was mint anall.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#6 squamish
June 14, 2005, 07:27:21 pm
brewpub beer was good, where you on drugs or have they changed owners? north walls, if thats where the grinch prob is the best place i reckon, quieter n better landings. undertow is a good prob but the area is pants

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal