UKBouldering.com

Getting back to your best after a break.. (Read 2112 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
I was trying to think of a good title for this thread - and its not straightforward - so bear with me.

I often find myself not being able to climb or train for a week - 10 days - 2weeks at a time. This is largely due to work (going away etc..). So I find I get in shape over a few weeks - start working the harder projects - then go away and start playing catch up once I get back.

So I'm wondering how long it takes people to get back to where they were (strength and ability wise) after a 1-2 week break? I ask as I find it very hard to gauge. Sometimes its as if I've not been away (as if the break has helped) and others it feels like its set me back a month!

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
I find a very big difference between 1 and 2 weeks.  1 week is generally easy to get back into the groove.  2 weeks is a lot tougher. 

webbo

• forum hero
I don't think I've had 2 weeks off in years. I just tend to switch in to something else. Injured leg finger board, injured finger weights and biking and so on. As for work stopping you, get another job  ;)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Am I the only person on this forum who only climbs at weekends - nothing at all midweek (no finger-boarding or wall sessions)?  Threads like this and "fit club" on UKC  make me feel like an indolent waste of cytoplasm.

rodma

• forum hero
Don't feel bad. I don't train so much any more. In the second half of last year I only did indoor routes as training and that was only once a week at best.

Still not that far off my strongest but I do find wee holds awfully painful due to inactivity.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

webbo

• forum hero
Am I the only person on this forum who only climbs at weekends - nothing at all midweek (no finger-boarding or wall sessions)?  Threads like this and "fit club" on UKC  make me feel like an indolent waste of cytoplasm.

Yes.

tomtom

• forum hero
I don't think I've had 2 weeks off in years. I just tend to switch in to something else. Injured leg finger board, injured finger weights and biking and so on. As for work stopping you, get another job  ;)

Thats an option that crosses my mind quite often...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento

Yes.

At last! Now I know why I'm so shit!

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
Aside from an impromptu font trip a few weeks ago, I pretty much stopped climbing after my finger injury.
I had the odd wall session, the odd outdoor session and a comp between then and now. So maybe an average of 2/3 times a month, but all sessions felt fairly intense.

I have actually found that I can pull as hard now (rock and plastic), as when I was climb 3/4/5 times a week. Although I am not as fit as I would have been.

I think if you make the sessions you do have count, and do the odd supplementary set of generics i.e. situps, pushups and the like; you can remain fairly strong, even with the order of many weeks off. And those who have been climbing for long enough to have adapted well to the exercise, will be able to remain at a base level with relatively fewer hours on the wall.

I also put great stock in the idea that the body goes through cycles of physical and mental power, and that its important to account for this (and not get too frustrated). I have no academic evidence of it, but I have felt and seen in others that even keeping a steady pace of climbing and work/life stuff, you go though phases of more or less power.

That said, I am just at that point where my body is starting fully to adapt more for the exercise, and as such I expect fewer, hard sessions contribute to the effects of adaptation, recovery and the likelihood of injury.

It also could have been that with correct periodisation and more time on rock (to learn to climb better), I could be climbing much harder stuff that the 7B kind of range.

The caveat is that, I don't expect you will see much in the way of improvement; If you are used to improving or even just seeing fluctuations in quality, then your self-perception of how well you should be doing and are doing may be skewed by this. In turn you will think you are doing worse and/or better than you are/ are capable of. It is all relative, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal