UKBouldering.com

Stretching -- actively (Read 1457 times)

krymson

• obsessive maniac
Stretching -- actively
May 02, 2014, 03:54:28 am
Active stretching before climbing or after the warmup -- anyone do it?

I noticed a nice active bicep stretch in the "Sweat" video from cafe Kraft at 3:02

http://vimeo.com/24776832#t=182s

And just wanted to add a few of my own - jazz hands -- open and close hands as hard as possible and wrist circles -- make a fist and rotate wrists 360 degrees one way, then the other.

Another one for the shoulders/arms -- raising straight arms above your head as much as possible(like the upward salute yoga pose)

Just some simple active upper body stretches that you can do before you get on the wall. Takes two minutes max, warms things up and it's something you can do "cold" whereas passive stretches should be done after the warmup. Also useful if you've been chilling out for a while between climbs and gotten cold again.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Stretching -- actively
May 02, 2014, 06:01:27 am
Windmilling arms?

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#2 Re: Stretching -- actively
May 02, 2014, 09:52:58 am
I stretch after climbing not before.  My yoga teacher advised theres little point stretching before.  I dont know the logic reason why, I've forgotten.  Either way it helps for next time I climb.  I also stretch after cycling... cycling leaves hips/legs knotted up and if I dont stretch after biking my flexibility really suffers for climbing. 

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Stretching -- actively
May 02, 2014, 10:23:50 am
Current SCIENCE seems to say that static stretching temporarily weakens the stretched muscles and is therefore not a good idea for a warm up activity. But the OP was talkign about "active" stretching, by which I assume he meant dynamic mobility drills. These are probably a better idea for warming up.

Personally, though, I generally warm up for climbing by (walking to the crag / cycling to the wall and then ...) starting off with really easy climbing. I think it's very important do mobility exercises - more so than static stretching - but I mostly do them in separate sessions on different days.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal