UKBouldering.com

[Yorkshire][Birk Gill Crag][7c+/8a] The Lash (Read 6232 times)

william buck

• regular
New line on the large boulder underneath the main crag at Birk Gill, which is in the valley underneath Slipstones. Follows and obvious seam line up the gently overhanging wall. It looks like someones taken a whip and lashed it across the face, hence the name ;). I don't really know what grade it is but to give a comparison to stuff I've done in a similar range and style, it felt harder than Curious Yellow at Ilkley and quite a big a step up from something like Terry at Caley. I'm gonna sit on the fence and go 7c+/8a and future repeaters can help it to settle. I have a video but probably won't put it on the web in the hope that I can go back and repeat it for someone with a decent camera! Cheers Will

sjw

• obsessive maniac
Nice one Will, sounds great. Is the boulder easy to find/identify?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Nice. Some good hard stuff to do at Brown Beck as well if memory serves.

william buck

• regular
SJW - yeah the boulder is really obvious once you arrive at the main crag. The line is the one looking straight at you as you arrive! The seam up the middle of the wall is the give away as well! Hope that helps!

sjw

• obsessive maniac
Can't get much clearer than that, cheers!

turnipturned

• forum abuser
Young Buck- Nice one Willaim

Adi Gill

Rich pickings up there, good effort Will

JK

• regular
I did a couple of problems to the right of The Lash yesterday, one up an arete/corner and another up the wall to the right of this on small crimps. I can't see them recorded anywhere but I would have thought they'd have been done before as they're pretty obvious and they climb well - does anyone know anything about them?

I'd also be interested to see the video of The Lash, it's a great line.

36chambers

• forum hero
I'm quite certain sjw did a line to the right of The Lash and I'm pretty sure there's a video of it knocking around somewhere (couldn't find it just now). Hopefully he'll be along soon to clear things up.

sjw

• obsessive maniac
Yeah I did a few variations there when I was trying The Lash, I assumed that the groove had been done before but the wall to the right looked untouched before I cleaned it. I thought that starting at the base of the groove and climbing left up into the top of The Lash looked like a worthy (and very hard) line, but I never went back to give it a go.

Is that the bit you mean? I thought I'd mentioned it on this thread to be honest, but I was wrong.

I'd also be interested to see the video of The Lash, it's a great line.

I was convinced/hoping that there would be footage of Will doing it in DT's last Yorkshire video, but I was wrong about that too. As much as anything I was intrigued to see how different Will's sequence was to mine. Great little spot, reading this has made me want to revisit.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:59:49 pm by sjw »

36chambers

• forum hero
you should just make the footage public on your vimeo. Looks like a sweet problem :)

sjw

• obsessive maniac
you should just make the footage public on your vimeo. Looks like a sweet problem :)

That is a fair point, I just set most of the stuff on there private by default. Sorted!

JK

• regular
Yeah that's it. I started in a different place, came in from the left from the start of the groove, but the same finish. It also looked like you could vary it by going right hand to the small edge and up with the left to the top of the groove which would make a good problems using your start. Did you try that?

From the base of the groove into the top of the lash looks great and hard!

monkey boy

• forum hero

That is a fair point, I just set most of the stuff on there private by default. Sorted!

Have you made the video public?

sjw

• obsessive maniac
It also looked like you could vary it by going right hand to the small edge and up with the left to the top of the groove which would make a good problems using your start. Did you try that?
Doesn't ring any bells, nope. I think I originally tried that thing above as you described, before deciding that it probably made more sense to avoid the groove and go straight up.

Have you made the video public?
Just that one above, sadly didn't get any footage of Will's problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal