UKBouldering.com

Wind Farm above Bowden Doors (Read 2156 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Wind Farm above Bowden Doors
February 14, 2014, 11:30:38 am
Not sure its been mentioned before but there is an application going through for a wind farm above Bowden which would be noisy and unsightly. I was shocked to discover that the area isn't even designated as an area of outstanding natural beauty even though it is considerably more beautiful than where the area I come from (Blackdown hills in Devon) which has that designation.

More info here: www.middletonburnactiongroup.co.uk

Map showing the proposed wind farm.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Wind Farm above Bowden Doors
February 14, 2014, 11:37:28 am
Leaving aesthetics aside, I doubt you'd hear them from the crag... nearly a km away and over the top of the hill...

Stubbs

#2 Re: Wind Farm above Bowden Doors
February 14, 2014, 11:55:27 am
Wouldn't the prevailing SW wind take the sound away from the crag so that you'd just be left with a view of clean energy being created?  It's quite fitting that they're near some old coal workings.

gme

• forum hero
#3 Re: Wind Farm above Bowden Doors
February 14, 2014, 12:07:57 pm
If you remove the whole argument about whether wind power is the way forward i cant see how this isnt a good place to put a wind farm. I have driven round there specifically to look at the visual impact and it really is not bad. The view from the top of Bowden towards the coast would obviously be changed but when climbing you wont even know they are there.

The objections are really based only on the visual impact from Belford and the A1 side, not the crags and whilst this is not an unpleasant view, it is not really anything special.

If people want renewable energy via wind farms they have to go somewhere and i feel this site is probably one of the more suitable ones in the area. I cant think of anywhere in North Northumberland that would not get massive objections to it so do we just have a blanket no to it all.

As i said at the start i am not commenting on whether wind farms are the way forward, jury is still out on that one. I am only adding my thoughts on the location of this one.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: Wind Farm above Bowden Doors
February 14, 2014, 12:31:30 pm
I agree. No beef with this.

SamT

• forum hero
#5 Re: Wind Farm above Bowden Doors
February 14, 2014, 02:11:15 pm
Yep... wot gme said

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal