UKBouldering.com

Quarried grit conditions (east n west)?? (Read 4626 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Quarried grit conditions (east n west)??
January 30, 2014, 12:48:06 pm
I know the following choices will be green as fuck in winter, but assuming a spell of dry weather AND a fresh enough westerly breeze, how long before Millstone's Great Slab area and Running Hill Pit's Scoop De Grace area are dry enough to be worth a look?? Ta x

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Both are afternoon sun-traps (Pits more so) and take little drainage, so the answer is not much. However it can be baltic at the pits, I tend to treat it as a spring/ autumn venue, but given a calm sunny day you could be in. What have you got your eye in?

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
In Halifax/Hudds its dry at the minute so the Pits should be in. Will be fucking brassic like.
You could ring the crag station for a greenfield weather update.

scoop de grace faces east so should not be green. I have not been to the pits since september/october though.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
No it doesn't, it faces North-west. I don't want to piss on Fiend's chips, but I'm assuming its not Scoop itself he's after?

a dense loner

• forum hero
Fiend go to 8th quarry and try and find my teeth

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
No just the E2s to the right :D  :strongbench: And that thing in the other quarry. Some E3 slab that is, not Dense's teeth. I suppose without his teeth he gives better blowjobs.

Yes I assumed the pits would be cold, the plan would be to go after the drying breeze, in theory...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
The E2s to the right are quick drying. They both offer excellent faffing potential. Spanner wall is worth doing too, and catches the sun, as does Calamity crack in the 1st quarry. The other wall in the Scoop quarry is good with a couple of classic cracks but faces NE and gets mega green. The slab in the 8th Quarry faces SW and is some of the cleanest rock in the place - doesn't really get green. You want sun and calm after a windy spell.

What about Millstone? Snivelling? The slab faces NW but gets the sun in the late afternoon. It can get green but dries better than you'd expect given the aspect. Snivelling itself can be done when its quite green as the holds are clean (even if you're not a god):

a dense loner

• forum hero
It will be freezing up there fiend, even in your funky garbs. The E2's are quality, are you on about yarn spinner as well? If not get on that

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
:D Thanks guys. Yes after excellent faffing potential...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Also, what about Stanage End?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
What about it? Like the above, the bits that face NW (End slab basically) will stay green longest. Bits facing SW (Marble Wall, Germ/Microbe area) not so much. It will be cold in the wind, unless you can get out of it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Bear with me, grit is all foreign and strange now. I know stuff will be green, I'm wondering if, like Great Slab area, it can be climbably dry over winter...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
The pits are cold even at the height of summer

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut