UKBouldering.com

keeping it real........ ales that is! (Read 228305 times)

Spanish John

• regular
Not an ale, but i'd love to try this

http://www.chilibeer.ie/buychilibeer.html

anybody experienced it? basically is it pish  :please:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Not an ale, but i'd love to try this

http://www.chilibeer.ie/buychilibeer.html

anybody experienced it? basically is it pish  :please:

I can't say I've tasted this, but I'll see your chilli beer and raise it to Naga chilli Black Death Beer (buy online here from the Fallen Angel Brewery)

This I have tried (being a chilli afficondo) and despite the bad rep Naga chillis have in that thread this beer is exceptionally nice.  Some of my friends weren't keen on the heat, but after you get over that its exceptionally fruity beer and really very drinkable.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Jesus Slackers, what w/ your smoking, coffee drinking and chilli addiction, your ring must be in a shocking state of affairs  :'(

Spanish John

• regular
oooooooooooooh, that sounds frickin awesome, i'd love a polypin of that.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Jesus Slackers, what w/ your smoking, coffeebeer drinking and chilli addiction, your ring must be in a shocking state of affairs  :'(

My body is a temple, I don't touch coffee or tea (or any other hot drinks) :lol:

I do have a very comfy porcelain throne though  8)

Chilli is actually quite good for you (although obviously there are varying degrees).  It might even ward off the smoking induced cancer, protect against Type 1 diabetes and various other benefits (see the fountain of disinformation and more generally).

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Well, the delivery of Zeitgeist Black Lager arrived and I, despite having some form of Gastroenteritis from Thursday to Saturday(ish) :thumbsdown:, I decided to crack open a couple on saturday afternoon.

Being not quite sure what to expect, I just poured the first into a glas and got cracking. It looks like a Guinness with the cream removed. In the mouth it feels like a pilsner, with no heavyness, quite crisp. Flavour wise - kinda hard to describe. It's got that Guinessy toasted malt flavour, but it's more bitter and dry, and a lot lighter. Some reviews have said "smokey" but I wasn't getting much of that - definitely toasty, but not so smokey.  :thumbsup:

Anyway, pretty drinkable and despite mixing it with some other beers, and plenty of rum & coke, I didn't have too bad a hangover on the Sunday - even managed two boulder problems that I've not done before at Dumby - both highball 6B+.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Was the knackered finger suitably anaesthetised?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Well, the delivery of Zeitgeist Black Lager arrived...

Sounds good... almost tempted to put an order in (maybe get some more of the Paradox Stout too... mmmmm).  Have you had other black lagers like Budvar Black, Herold Pinovar or Kostritzer, how does it compare?  I'm quite fond of dunkelweisens myself (considering that they're made using wheat they often don't taste too dissimilar to dark lagers).  The Erdinger Dunkelweisse is a decent one -available in lots of supermarkets and nicer than the normal white version.  Best recent beer though was Stone's Smoked Porter - really smooth, subtly smoked with lots of coffee / chocolately flavours.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
I've had a Asahi black lager a while back, but other than that, nope, nothing!

It's compared to the Herold in a couple of reviews. It's worth buying just now as it's 70% off if you use the code SHEEP.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
Had a Thornbridge Kipling last night

thought it was excellent.....
Also had a

I detest the marketing around it but the beer was very drinkable, dry and hoppy with good bite.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
The Erdinger Dunkelweisse is a decent one -available in lots of supermarkets and nicer than the normal white version.

Hmmm.

Really in summer one should be drinking Erdinger Kristall, which is a filtered version of the normal pale & cloudy hefe (yeast) beer, best served just a tad warmer than stone cold w/ a slice of lemon in a tall glass.  Much more refreshing than dunkel beers in this weather.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Rewarded new dietary adjustments with a pint of Reverend James last night courtesy of the Brains brewery.Absolute stunner it is. Like drinking a pure pint of velvet.

Info here.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Ah, The Rev. James.

The ONE redeeming feature of the Gallt-Y-Glyn (the pizza & pint dump just past DMM in Llanber') is they often have Rev. James on tap.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos

Yep. The finger seems to have made a miraculous recovery. It has only been very mildly tender once since it made it's weird popping noise...must be the magic brew!

Back on topic, I had a dreadful day at work today due to drinking all the bottles of Seirra Nevada Pal Ale that I'd bought earlier in the day. It started off a bit  :beer1: but today I felt a bit  :alky: and very  :yawn: due to waking up at 1ama nd not getting back to sleep till 4:30...weird!

Anyway this:

Tastes damn fine! Got it from Lupes Pintos deli on Great Western road, Glasgow.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Back on topic, I had a dreadful day at work today due to drinking all the bottles of Seirra Nevada Pal Ale that I'd bought earlier in the day. It started off a bit  :beer1: but today I felt a bit  :alky: and very  :yawn: due to waking up at 1ama nd not getting back to sleep till 4:30...weird!

You must be in the ignorant half  ;) :-*

Anyway this:

Tastes damn fine!

Good beer though  :thumbsup:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Not an ale as such, but it is brewed in a traditional manner in line with the amazonian traditions of brewing.  Anyway, got two bottles of these on the way home and very nice it is too...

Imported from Brazil its £1.40 in Tesco's

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Ah, The Rev. James.

The ONE redeeming feature of the Gallt-Y-Glyn (the pizza & pint dump just past DMM in Llanber') is they often have Rev. James on tap.

It's a guest at our local but I wish it was a resident. Couldn't believe how good it was (went back for a sneaky one this afternoon).

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#342 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 01, 2009, 01:08:09 pm
Having one of these right now

Certainly the most expensive bottled beer I've bought (from a supermarket) in the Reich @ €1.70 that's VERY pricy for Germany, even premium beers go for 1€ per half litre.

At first I thought so what?  But after a glass I want another one straight away.

thustler

• regular
#343 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 08, 2009, 09:58:44 pm
Drinking a glass of Brewdog Hardcore I.P.A it does have a sorta caramelly taste but the alcohol is just too much, I dont mind other strong beers like Duvel but the strength really comes through on this one, dont think I'll be buying any more.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#344 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 09, 2009, 01:39:13 am
Had a Ginger Bear in York the other night. Tasty and unusual, nice.

benpritch

• forum abuser
#345 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 09, 2009, 09:51:36 am

Yep. The finger seems to have made a miraculous recovery. It has only been very mildly tender once since it made it's weird popping noise...must be the magic brew!

Back on topic, I had a dreadful day at work today due to drinking all the bottles of Seirra Nevada Pal Ale that I'd bought earlier in the day. It started off a bit  :beer1: but today I felt a bit  :alky: and very  :yawn: due to waking up at 1ama nd not getting back to sleep till 4:30...weird!

Anyway this:

Tastes damn fine! Got it from Lupes Pintos deli on Great Western road, Glasgow.

if you go in lupe pintos again try the negra modello (dark mexican beer),  and the bohemia.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#346 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 09, 2009, 02:36:16 pm

I'm in Kazakhstan, drinking lots of Russian beer, Baltika mostly.  The standard, cheapest (in blue) being my favourite.  They make some stupidly strong stuff, but I like my beer at 5%.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#347 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 09, 2009, 09:50:31 pm
Aldi has a lot of different batemans and wychwood ales in and a lot of different types of quality lagers.
worth a visit

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#348 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 13, 2009, 09:29:30 am
This pushing it a bit for real ales, but I had some rather tasty mango beer last night, roughly £1.80 from Tescos and very, very tasty....

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#349 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 13, 2009, 10:18:23 pm

if you go in lupe pintos again try the negra modello (dark mexican beer),  and the bohemia.

Cheers, will do. That's going to ruin my diet though....

I'm in Kazakhstan, drinking lots of Russian beer, Baltika mostly.  The standard, cheapest (in blue) being my favourite.  They make some stupidly strong stuff, but I like my beer at 5%.

Is it still about £1 a bottle too? When I was working in Askai, we got free Baltika with dinner. The food was fucking shit, but the free beer made up for it. :beer1:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal