UKBouldering.com

keeping it real........ ales that is! (Read 228244 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Yeah, I normally go to the Harlequin myself.  They often have local musicians in playing, some are okay, others less so, but beers always good, and Mondays are tres cheap (plus its actually in the direction of home for me).

The Riverside doesn't seem to be open on weekday evenings since xmas.  Occasionally go to the Fat Cat.  It'll be interesting to see how the Gardener's Rest turns out after the refurbishment.

Another vote for the 'Quin from me - used to be our lunchtime local when I worked at Irwin Mitchell. The staff are really friendly, the beer's always good and changed regularly, plus they let us use their function room for free when we have our quarterly poker tournaments!

andy popp

• forum hero
Went into what used to be my local offy the other day and discovered they now stock Brooklyn - score! they also had the porter and IPA, not tried these yet but will report back. Also walked out with:

the Lucky is an aussie rice beer - fairly forgettable to be honest, but the bottle makes it worthwhile! Not yet drunk the others, but especially looking forward to the Flying Dog IPA, the blurb implies a bit of a hop monster (and any brewery with endorsements from Hunter and Steadman must be doing something right!).

Anchor Steam Beer is fantastic, as is the same brewery's Liberty Ale (I think I preferred this, very very dry). Have not tasted these for many a long year. You will enjoy.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Had a pint of this in the Harlequin last night...

Quite tasty, although both the cats were asleep when I got home (perhaps they need to drink it to benefit from the perk :P)

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
FMOB .... The Broadfield are holding a beer festival .... Starts tomorrow night and they seem to have to very fine ales lined up .....

dave

Had a pint of this in the Harlequin last night...

Quite tasty, although both the cats were asleep when I got home (perhaps they need to drink it to benefit from the perk :P)

did you end up with a perkier pussy though?

I had a bottle fo this last night, - don't be put off by the word "lager", its actually supoib! bada bing.

dave

just had one of these fishies on a dishie, when the boat comes in:

it was canny, our pet.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
My local corner shop has started stocking these from Skipton. Sampled a couple of these the other eve;

and was actually really good, light, refreshing and with a slight nose of rage that all IPA's should have ;)

Paul B

• forum hero
Courtesy of Tommytwotone I now have a 5ltr keg of Farmers Blonde in the house!

Now I really need to finish that Jaipur.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Sounds like a fair exchange for the board.  :devangel:

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
It's Keswick beer festival the weekend after next, anybody frequenting?

Tis always a good show, slightly smaller marquee this year apparently.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Had a Brooklyn in Arcadia, Headingley the other night. It was nice and surprisingly good for a lager. Some of the Sam Smiths are better though and its a little  :off:

Had a taste of Space (can't remember the brewer) and found it far too strong.

Leeds Pale was nice but ultimately forgettable

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Less a specific recommendation, more a general heads-up to York area epicureans:

If you're in the York / East Yorks area I recommend "The Jug and Bottle" in Bubwith - on the A163 (itself off the A19 south of York).  It's a deli that, as well as local farm produce (pate etc), sells lots of real ales: stuff by local breweries like Brown Cow and those from further afield like Humpty Dumpty, Iceni etc. 

More noteworthy though, it also sells draught cider - served from casks direct from the addled makers.  They sell 4&8 pint reusable plastic jugs that you can get filled with whichever of the dozen or so ciders (and a few ales) they have on draught at any time.  I popped in for the first time on saturday, had a bit of a tasting session and now have 4 pints of some cloudy, 8% abv liquid that tastes like pear-drops dissolved in acetone..... but in a good way!  Brilliant stuff - supposedly keeps for 7-10 days too (I suspect longer myself.. can't imagine any bacteria daring to go near it).

http://www.jugandbottle.co.uk/

Also, if you live in York and don't know about it (which wouldn't be entirely surprising as it's hidden away off Fishergate, on the south / Fulford side of the city) is York Beer and Wine shop.  Well worth a visit for loads of real ale and unusual Belgian / German beers.  The owner really knows his stuff (he judges at International booze competitions).  Stocks lots of good cheeses too.

http://www.yorkbeerandwineshop.co.uk/beershop%20Site/contents.html

Right back to my cider... I can feel my eyesight fading already.....

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Good skills there Moose - having just moved up and got settled I was wondering where to go for my independant beer shop fix. It would appear the latter of your recommendations is 5 mins from my work...alllright!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Good skills there Moose - having just moved up and got settled I was wondering where to go for my independant beer shop fix. It would appear the latter of your recommendations is 5 mins from my work...alllright!

Aye it's a good place - strange opening hours though so I'd check their website before going.  Maybe take a gasmask too - with the hot weather the shop also smells powerfully of mature Manchego and Stinking Bishop cheese!  The other main place for beer in York is "The Bottle" - on Stonegate - even more choice - but somehow less character.

Incidentally, according to a free local magazine I found, the other place I mentioned - The Jug and Bottle (in Bubwith) - was chosen as "Best Community Off Licence" in the country in the Drinks Retailing Awards; and in the top three "Cider Retailers of the Year" - praised as having a "possibly the biggest selection of draught ciders on sale anywhere in Britain".  Not bad for somewhere on the road to Hull... no doubt it''ll be replaced by a Tesco Express in due course.

Back on topic though.... this week I have been drinking: Brewdog - Hardcore IPA (9 % abv)

http://www.brewdog.com/hardcore_ipa.php

The hoppiest UK brewed beer around - incredibly dry and bitter with huge taste of grapefruit and pine.  According to their website "it's like being raped by a hop monster".  If you want the SCIENCE it weighs in at 150 IBUs (International Bitterness Units), for comparisson a fairly hoppy ale is normally ~30 IBUs, an very hoppy IPA around 50 (Thornbridge Jaipur is 56 IBU).  It's surprisingly really nice: just not a session ale, more of an extreme sport (one for fans of hot chilli peppers etc).

Duma

• forum hero
'tother half came back with this for me today:

Rather good really - more body than most pale ales, and decent hops too. Worth a go.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:38:18 pm by Duma, Reason: change pic to one that works »

galpinos

• forum hero
'tother half came back with this for me today:

Rather good really - more body than most pale ales, and decent hops too. Worth a go.

That's on tap in the Woodstock in Didsbury if you live over this way.

dave

word had one of these last night, which despite being a bit "supermarket" it was very nice, very roasted/coffeee style and nicely lively, and appeared to be bottle conditioned.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
I can't get enough of these at the moment:

Poachers Choice by Badger Brewery.

It may be a bit sweet for some tastes but it's all fruity beery goodness to me.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
On the Badger tip I can heartily recommend this........

The gingeriness could be overpowering and sickly but it's not. Even after a few bottles. Top notch.  :beer2:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I've been drinking this (amongst other things of late)

It's a decent pils.  Nothing extraordinary - it's not a pint of Czech beer from the barrel for 10p - but it's not in any way a poor beverage.  It costs €0.38 plus €0.08 pfand (refundable cost of the bottle) for 500ml.

The small print on the label is some great German blurb about why this beer is great:  it's just water, malt, hops; simple cap; no gold paper over the cap; no flash TV ad's or magazine ad's etc.. really goes to town on it - not that they need to - you can't argue w/ 40p a half litre  :whistle:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 04:39:36 pm by Houdini, Reason: sleglinpz »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

The small print on the label is some great German blurb about why this beer is great:  it's just water, malt, hops; simple cap; no gold paper over the cap; no flash TV ad's or magazine ad's etc.. really goes to town on it - not that they need to - you can't argue w/ 40p a half litre  :whistle:

Although its been lifted (in 1987 and replaced with more lenient laws) the simpleness of German beers is down to the Reinheitsgebot which was introduced to prevent competition for wheat with bakers and ensure enough cheap bread for the masses.

But I'm sure you already know that so have a few more eggs to suck on grandma  :)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Thanks, but I'd only ever speculated about the Rheinheitsgebot mentioned on the above beers' label, in fact.

I should add that that beer is brewed in Braunschweig near Hannover which is 3 hrs away by train - reasonably local - and hence cheap; yet if you wanted some real tramp-shit you'd certainly not pay over 10c a can here.

I'm sure you can find this in the UK as I've seen many OK German beers there - it stands to reason there might be some good ones too - but Augustiner beer is the shit; purer than rain, well worth seeking out. c. €1 per bottle.  You could probably feed this to babies w/ no ill-effects.

Here's the wiki blurb, it's a fun read for a hophead.

Dolly

• forum hero
Does anyone remember the real ale twats from Viz ?

Here's a link to a few of them.

This isn't having a go at anyone BTW - I'm as much a real ale twat as anyone else

http://bp3.blogger.com/_l3hE1L9RPR4/Rt56mNjToAI/AAAAAAAABSo/4lvDK2gwLqY/s1600-h/Realaletwats117s.jpg

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
That Viz is class.

I've been sampling some of the local brews although the bottles have been recycled and I can't remember what they're called, shame that means I'll have to buy some more.

jern

• menacing presence
 ;D

That cartoon is great. If ever I find myself wittering (and I do) about 'complex and multilayered sequences of mouth filling fruit hop and grain tastes' an image of the twat in the beret pops into my head and I think "John, shut the fuck up"

Anyway onto beer, I am on a 'Stout Quest' at the moment:

This is nice but at 6.1% it WILL fuck with your noggin.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal