UKBouldering.com

Weight for hard bouldering (Read 58461 times)

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#50 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 11:59:40 am
Doesn't sound like Hubbles ever had a 10 stone+ ascent
Raising the point that your geographical location probably has a huge influence on the weight issue (ignoring geographical variation in grading), i.e. if you live in the UK where the majority of climbing is vert or gently overhanging and v crimpy you probably want to be <10 stone, if you live somewhere with steep climbing with bigger holds weight is less of an issue.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#51 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 12:40:38 pm
Me - 77-80kgs, 5"10",

I feel cheated and misled

With a user name like Sasquatch I always pictured you as being 6'7" with hands like a bunch of bananas.

If I owned this site I would have you banned for misrepresentation  :rtfm:

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#52 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 04:28:12 pm
Doesn't sound like Hubbles ever had a 10 stone+ ascent
Raising the point that your geographical location probably has a huge influence on the weight issue (ignoring geographical variation in grading), i.e. if you live in the UK where the majority of climbing is vert or gently overhanging and v crimpy you probably want to be <10 stone, if you live somewhere with steep climbing with bigger holds weight is less of an issue.
Not so.  Steeper is harder to get weight on your feet.  Vert stuff you can do so.  Think dawes. 

Me - 77-80kgs, 5"10",

With a user name like Sasquatch I always pictured you as being 6'7" with hands like a bunch of bananas.
When I earned the nickname I was closer to 90kgs, still 5'10, and I hadn't learned the finer point of human grooming such as shampoo and a razor.... :)  Was still climbing v7-v8 range though, so not too bad.....
 Oh, yeah, my new nickname locally is "The Ancient One" and I'm only 36.  Cheeky teenagers.  They even input that into the climbing gym database. So now when any employee there looks me up for the waiver or to check me in, "The Ancient One is here" gets loudly announced.  At first it was sort of funny, but I think some people are starting to think that's actually my name. 

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#53 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 04:45:19 pm

Think dawes. 

I was not aware of dawes climbing font 8a and if I remember that 80's DVD he was in pretty incredible shape when he was in his pomp.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#54 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 04:48:48 pm
Me - 77-80kgs, 5"10",

If I owned this site I would have you banned for misrepresentation  :rtfm:

Pot...kettle...or do you have a fin?

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#55 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 04:57:38 pm

Think dawes. 

I was not aware of dawes climbing font 8a and if I remember that 80's DVD he was in pretty incredible shape when he was in his pomp.

Fair enough about the 8a side of it.  And while he was fit, he still had masive legs :)  My weight is/was in the same place, so I relate to his view on alot of that stuff.  I was just meaning that bigger is not better on steeper with big holds.  In my experience dropping weight has gotten me up far more steep things than vert things....

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#56 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 05:19:06 pm

Think dawes. 

Fair enough about the 8a side of it.  And while he was fit, he still had masive legs :)  My weight is/was in the same place, so I relate to his view on alot of that stuff.  I was just meaning that bigger is not better on steeper with big holds.  In my experience dropping weight has gotten me up far more steep things than vert things....

Yeah, dunno it just seems from travelling around Europe and north america that you see far more heavily built climbers doing well on the steep swiss style stuff and compression climbing than the more vert crimpy stuff in the UK but I accept it is not very scientific although neither is your n=1.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#57 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 05:22:26 pm
Out of interest, what are any other 6ft 2ins climbers here clocking in weight wise? How low can I go before organ failure?

tomtom

• forum hero
#58 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 05:27:29 pm
Out of interest, what are any other 6ft 2ins climbers here clocking in weight wise? How low can I go before organ failure?

11st 7lbs or 73KG  (got down to 11:3 in October).. and I'm 6'3"..
(was 11.12 after Xmas..)
I think I can be 11st (70kgs) fairly reasonably and still carry a little fat...

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#59 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 05:30:51 pm
Yeah, dunno it just seems from travelling around Europe and north america that you see far more heavily built climbers doing well on the steep swiss style stuff and compression climbing than the more vert crimpy stuff in the UK but I accept it is not very scientific although neither is your n=1.
Very true.  I suppose my experience has been more steep crimpy stuff, so that would fit for both sides.  One thing I have noticed a big difference in is weight distribution.  Some of these guys that look big have broad shoulders and skinny little chicken legs, so they look much bigger than they actually are. Then you've got the guys with bigger legs who don't look as imposing but still have the same weight.

richie0210

• regular
#60 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 05:35:06 pm

6ft 2 and I diet down to 12.04 for bouldering trips(hit this weight two years running now), with no dieting I hover around 14stone which I am know, 14.7 after this Christmas.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#61 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 05:45:39 pm

87kg  :alky:

mark s

• junky
#62 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 06:06:22 pm
I might bob up roaches tomorrow and do the I.R trav a get a heaviest 8a ascent.maybe something as easy as e5 would get me the heaviest ascent title.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#63 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 06:07:15 pm

I'm 6'3"ish (1.905m) and currently weigh 59kg (not deliberate I assure you).  I wouldn't recommend it - I'm still shit at climbing and always freezing cold (I also have to climb in a very static, ponderous fashion, otherwise my limbs snap!)  When I was at my bouldering peak I weighed around 66-70kg - still shit but a bit cheerier with it (that said, the difference in ability likely had as much to do with being unemployed and going climbing twice as much).

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#64 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 06:26:57 pm
Jeez! Quite a span there fellows! 59kg moose!?!?!!?! I reckon my shin weighs that! You've certainly set the benchmark to how low one can start to go  in this height department. GCW gives you a piggyback to the crag it sounds like...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#65 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 06:46:43 pm
Christ! Is that due to illness, stress, or some fell running style madness?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#66 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 08:22:30 pm
I usually peak at about 14 stone and a bit at my worst and can manage to get down to 13 stone if I'm very good but struggle to get much below that. Definitely carry it in the gut and love handles if I'm not careful.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#67 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 08:52:23 pm
I usually peak at about 14 stone

Images of the Elvicution, gorging himself on burgers until the climax.......

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#68 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 08:54:00 pm
Jeez! Quite a span there fellows! 59kg moose!?!?!!?! I reckon my shin weighs that! You've certainly set the benchmark to how low one can start to go  in this height department. GCW gives you a piggyback to the crag it sounds like...

At 59kg I could throw him from Little Man to Demon Wall Roof.  Moose, you must have had a tapeworm or something!!

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#69 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 08:56:09 pm

I'm 6'3"ish (1.905m) and currently weigh 59kg (not deliberate I assure you).  I wouldn't recommend it - I'm still shit at climbing and always freezing cold (I also have to climb in a very static, ponderous fashion, otherwise my limbs snap!)  When I was at my bouldering peak I weighed around 66-70kg - still shit but a bit cheerier with it (that said, the difference in ability likely had as much to do with being unemployed and going climbing twice as much).

Bloody hell! That's crazy!

I'm 6ft 1' and at the moment I'm 12st 8lb or 80kg, if I stop climbing for any length of time I usually go up to about 13st 8lb, I really struggle to get down to 12st these days, I really wish I could.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#70 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 09:22:11 pm
This thread is fucking killing me. I hit 85kg at Christmas and I'm 5'8.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#71 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 09:29:01 pm
I'm 6ft 1' and at the moment I'm 12st 8lb or 80kg, if I stop climbing for any length of time I usually go up to about 13st 8lb, I really struggle to get down to 12st these days, I really wish I could.

:fishing:    :2thumbsup:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#72 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 09:35:36 pm
I was already pretty slim but had an operation to remove a tennis ball sized growth in my jaw a few years ago.  Surgeons had to go in through the floor of my mouth and a slit in my neck - meant I could barely eat for a few weeks or the stitches tore.  Then a complication meant I had to have a vent pipe in my neck for a few months and whenever I ate filth would leak out.  Kinda ruined my appetite (and the sanitary towel I had to wear on my neck didn't do my stylish looks much good either).  Went down to 55kg and never put it all back (stomach shrank - when I eat substantial meals I get terrible indigestion).  Actually got back up to 65kg not so long back though - but work stress whittled me away again! 

mark s

• junky
#73 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 10:08:38 pm
sounds very rough,feel for you.
can the doctors not give you anything to build you up again?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#74 Re: Weight for hard bouldering
January 28, 2014, 10:15:22 pm
It's not really a problem at the moment (Op was a few years ago) - I just feel the cold a bit more than I used to.  The last GP I saw recommended rice puddings... not sure if they're on prescription!  I could probably get back to size with a regimen of more determined eating but just don't feel that inclined to - inconvenient more than anything.  I'm sure I'll eventually bulk up - just be a slow, gradual process.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal