UKBouldering.com

Being a bit of a fat bastard (Read 35981 times)

as646

Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 02:45:30 pm
It seems like all the people who are ridiculously strong are either freakishly tall skeletons or have the build of a thirteen year old girl. Now, I'm not fat by any stretch, but I used to do a fair bit of olympic lifting - though I have since stopped - and consequently feel I'm a bit of a heavyweight at 185 cm and 86 kg.

As I mentioned, I've stopped lifting, and have cut down my caloric intake, however I'm unlikely to lose a significant amount of weight anytime soon, as I'm already quite lean and I'm naturally well built even without lifting.

I feel like I struggle on moves where I've got a lot of my weight on a crimp. I've got upper body strength in spades, but not finger strength. Is this a situation in which I would benefit from Eva Lopez-style deadhang training on a fingerboard?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 02:49:21 pm
have the build of a thirteen year old girl.

Especially true of the 13 year old girls.

In a word, yes on the fingerboard.

And 86 kg at 185 cm isn't that heavy at all.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#2 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 02:49:30 pm
It seems like all the people who are ridiculously strong are either freakishly tall skeletons or have the build of a thirteen year old girl.

Really?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 02:50:58 pm
Plus numerous other examples.

abarro81

• forum hero
#4 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 02:57:18 pm

For a climber 86kg is heavy.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 02:59:02 pm
I feel like I struggle on moves where I've got a lot of my weight on a crimp. I've got upper body strength in spades, but not finger strength. Is this a situation in which I would benefit from Eva Lopez-style deadhang training on a fingerboard?

I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in but you haven't said how long you have been climbing and at what grade you are climbing.

I would be wary of undertaking an intensive finger training regime if you haven't been climbing long as tendons take a long time relative to muscles to develop and you could expose yourself to injuries.

dave

#6 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 03:01:03 pm
I don't think 86kg for a six footer is terribly heavy but it isn't light either. I'm about a stone lighter than that an at the same height, but then again I'm not massively built or done weights etc.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 03:33:58 pm

For a climber 86kg is heavy.

You calling me a fat cunt? :)

FWIW I weight about the same (although I'll admit I'm almost a stone heavier than I used to be), but I'm about 20 cm taller.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:40:09 pm by SA Chris »

abarro81

• forum hero
#8 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 03:40:47 pm
Festively plump.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 03:44:22 pm
Insulation; nothing a couple of big winter days on the hills won't shift!

gme

• forum hero
#10 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 04:01:48 pm
I am 81Kg but i am shit as well so not a great example.

However Jimmy Webb and Jan Hojer are our side of 80kg and seam to do alright.

Tom Briggs is a big lad and no slouch, Mike Adams must but 80kg or be made of carbon fibre.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#11 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 04:14:14 pm
Being a bit of a fat bastard

I'm already quite lean and I'm naturally well built even without lifting.

Uh HUH  :???:

Doylo

• forum hero
#12 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 05:05:32 pm
I'm 6ft and usually about 74kg

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 05:31:01 pm
I'm in the 50s. Definitely shorter than most of you folk though.

I've never been fat but i have gone up to 60kg before while lifting and eating a lot and then down a few when i stopped eating so much. I found the increased muscle mass isn't worth the extra weight even if it's mostly in the upper body.

If you're well built but could stand to lose a pound or two it will make a difference and actually as long as you keep doing whatever was keeping you strong you wont lose much strength if any at all and you'll get a six pack out of it! Just don't over do it or depend on losing weight for long term gains obviously.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#14 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 05:44:45 pm
I'm 176cm and 89kg and quite light at the moment.... :strongbench:

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 07:37:04 pm
Now, I'm not fat by any stretch, but I used to do a fair bit of olympic lifting - though I have since stopped - and consequently feel I'm a bit of a heavyweight at 185 cm and 86 kg.

As I mentioned, I've stopped lifting, and have cut down my caloric intake, however I'm unlikely to lose a significant amount of weight anytime soon, as I'm already quite lean and I'm naturally well built even without lifting

I'm 181cm, and I always thought I was fair enough at 76-80kg, didn't feel massive but certainly didn't think I could ever get down to weights of similar height friends - there are some obvious beanpoles amongst my peers who are my height or thereabouts and tip the scales in the mid 60s, and one or two around 70. I'd wavered between 76 and 80 for the best part of a decade and that seemed to be my natural weight.

Anyway, a few years back I managed by virtue of more sedentary jobs and commutes to move from "76-80" to "roundabout 80" and on a bad day to "well I could get down to 80 quite easily if I tried". So I decided to get stuck in, eat healthy, all that sort of jazz, combined with climbing more and in a more dedicated structured way (it didn't take much!).

End of the story is I now normally aim for 72-73, with maybe dreams of pushing to 70-71 if I've got a project or trip or whatever. This morning was just the good side of 72, although with Christmas coming I doubt it will stay there.

The point for me I suppose is that especially if you have only just stopped lifting you might e surprised where your weight ends up - like you I didn't think I had much room to work with, but have ended up making something of a paradigm shift in what weight I think is right for me. I probably will never reach 65kg, but then I have a sweet tooth and enjoy beer too much, at least know I sort of know what I can and can't do.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#16 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 07:57:11 pm
It seems like all the people who are ridiculously strong are either freakishly tall skeletons

freakishly tall - check!
skeletal - check!
strong - ....oh bugger

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
#17 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 08:12:57 pm
I am 178cm and 69.8kg, (and getting lower).
My body composition is not good enough, which is why I still consider myself too heavy.
Still more fat then I want, even though I am not so weak for a person with my characteristics.

Start eating well (not shit) and do the right kind of exercise for what you want, and your body will adapt.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#18 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 08:18:39 pm
So basically the only really fat climbers are me and John Dunne and you're all skinny bastards... :wave:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#19 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 08:44:41 pm
Don't forget Brian Blessed - he nearly got up Everest - that's higher than the likes of Ondra and Sharma have ever climbed.  After all, height gained, as speaking to colleagues at the works Christmas Lunch reminded me, is the acid test of any rock climber (one had been up Ben Nevis - put me in my place).

webbo

• forum hero
#20 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 08:50:26 pm
So basically the only really fat climbers are me and John Dunne and you're all skinny bastards... :wave:
No I'm well on my way to becoming fat twat. Currently creeping over 12 stone and only 5'8".

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#21 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 08:52:09 pm
"Creeping over"??

Lucky fucker!! I've been around that or over for 4 years now, at the same height  >:( >:( >:(

webbo

• forum hero
#22 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 09:02:17 pm
You have an excuse that you can't walk more than 10 foot due to a medical condition. I can burn 2 to 5,000 calories on bike ride some days a nd in still getting fatter.
I reckon if I didn't climb and bike I would be one of those rather over weight folk who they have to demolish the house to get than out

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#23 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 09:13:37 pm
You have an excuse that you can't walk more than 10 foot due to a medical condition. I can burn 2 to 5,000 calories on bike ride some days a nd in still getting fatter.
I reckon if I didn't climb and bike I would be one of those rather over weight folk who they have to demolish the house to get than out

Biking was weird for me.  A few years back I was riding 20-30hrs (300-400 miles) a week and watching what I ate and still gaining weight.  If I run I lose weight.....  Something about the two causes my body to respond differently.  I think it's the weight bearing aspect...

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#24 Re: Being a bit of a fat bastard
December 13, 2013, 09:55:43 pm
 :agree:  I don't know what the science is, but for me running is much better at keeping my weight down than cycling.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal