UKBouldering.com

bill bryson (Read 2869 times)

a dense loner

• forum hero
bill bryson
June 22, 2004, 11:37:36 pm
for those of you that can read i have just got "a brief history of nearly everything" by bill bryson. if you read any of his books, which are quality, then this is brilliant. you can open at any page n have at least 1 interestin fact, n that's a fact. the randomness of it being beaten only by bonjoy.  :wink: of course we know that there are only 2 authors in the world, the other being terry pratchett

dave

#1 bill bryson
June 22, 2004, 11:52:02 pm
random fact:

St John's Wood is the only tube station that doesn't contain any of the letters of the word "mackerel".

bet thats not in yer book.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#2 bill bryson
June 22, 2004, 11:53:27 pm
u listen to too much radio 2 :D

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 bill bryson
June 23, 2004, 06:54:56 am
was that a factoid then  :wink:
just finished reading Colin Bateman's and Magnus Mills' latest offerings - both very good. You'll have to lend us that book dense

dave

#4 bill bryson
June 23, 2004, 08:59:51 am
Quote from: "a dense loner"
u listen to too much radio 2 :D

actually i pride myself on not listening to any radio 2! me dad told me it on the phone last nite. i belive he'd just got it off the wireless though.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 bill bryson
June 23, 2004, 09:37:11 am
I hate radio 2 - it's such chummy, nicey shite - that woman who's on in the mornings drives me up the wall.

dave

#6 bill bryson
June 23, 2004, 09:46:01 am
i don't listen to any radio at all these days. all the commercial stations play the same 10 shite chart tracks all day, peppered by wannabe comedians running "zany" quizes and trying to be like chris moyles. radio1 is sometimes OK but generally all the presenters are up their own arses. westwod can be funny, but its best for one-off events, like the jazzy jeff set at homolands a few weeks back. sometimes listen to 1xtra on the digital TV flava cos i'm so black. radio2 is middle of the road, and as for 3/4/5 what the fuck are they. galaxy 105 is total shite these days. used to listen to it all the time when it first started, i.e. when it actually used to play proper dance shit, but then slowly slipped into playing shite R&B all the time and just chart dance. basically now they just play the same as all the other commercial stations just minus the guitar suicide music.

classic fm is ok, if you can stand henry "going for gold" kelly and adverts for stairlifts and saga insurance schemes.

shite.

rant over.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 bill bryson
June 23, 2004, 09:58:56 am
I listen to a lot of R4 in the car - Today program on the way to work which can be interesting but gets into very in-depth political debate a bit too much for my liking. On the return journey there can be some interesting stuff.
The only time I listen to R1 for more than 10mins at a time is either Pete Tong & Westwood, because they both play a lot of quality stuff in-between some cheese.
R2 is bollox.
R3 is too seriously classical for me, but has some good shit on Sunday nights apparantly with real eclectic shows of all types of music including turntablism. Never remember to catch it though.
R5 - not interested in mainstream sport so no good for me.

Galaxy schmalaxy - aye, when it started out it was good but soon went to the dogs.
Classic FM - might give it another go.

Otherwise, it's the CD playa - language lessons (halfway through French and want to start Spanish too), or stuff I've downloaded the day before.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#8 bill bryson
June 23, 2004, 09:59:54 am
have to agree wi u dave i'm afraid. when i put my car stereo in i din't attach my aerial, knowin that i wouldn't listen to the radio cos it's drivel

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#9 bill bryson
June 23, 2004, 10:36:24 am
Am most of the way thru reading this book at the mowlem, it is indeed the shit! The universe is a very strange place.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#10 bill bryson
June 23, 2004, 12:45:40 pm
full of shells n yolks apparently!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#11 bill bryson
June 23, 2004, 12:49:07 pm
Bit like our gaff than :D .