UKBouldering.com

Scarpa Vapour Lace (Read 5397 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
Scarpa Vapour Lace
November 13, 2013, 12:17:15 am
Anyone used these? http://www.scarpa.co.uk/climb/performance/vapour-xsg-edge/
Need to find a replacement for the instinct laces, wondering how people have found them?

psychomansam

• forum hero
#1 Re: Scarpa Vapour Lace
November 13, 2013, 12:25:54 am
Yeah, love them. Fucking great shoe. Bit stiffer than the vapour v's. Stick like mofo's to micro edges.

Not great for smearing. Not great if you want a major downturn.

mikester

• regular
#2 Re: Scarpa Vapour Lace
November 13, 2013, 07:38:28 am
Is the Instinct Lace being discontinued?

abarro81

• forum hero
#3 Re: Scarpa Vapour Lace
November 13, 2013, 10:34:01 am
Cheers Sam. Anyone else?
Mountain Boot Co aren't importing them any more, not sure why. Scarpa Italy should still be making them (but don't have any in my size and don't have a production run scheduled apparently).

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Scarpa Vapour Lace
November 13, 2013, 11:35:54 am
I tried to get Nat some of the women's version of these as she loves her velcros and a very pretty Italian lady in Buoux recommended them.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Scarpa Vapour Lace
November 13, 2013, 11:48:45 am
They are alright, quite good on the heel, think they are pretty good for edging so good for the sporting climbing me thinks! You tried the VS? I think they are ace! Alternatively, You could use the slippers and buy a Velcro strap, find it works well and that keeps my shoe on my foot.

abarro81

• forum hero
#6 Re: Scarpa Vapour Lace
November 13, 2013, 01:23:25 pm
Cool, sounds like they're worth a look. VS don't fit my feet unfortunately. Slippers fit ok but not nearly as well as the laces, Magos fit but I don't like them as much. Having worn the laces for everything for 3 years it feel funny wearing anything else!

nik at work

• forum hero
#7 Re: Scarpa Vapour Lace
November 13, 2013, 08:16:58 pm
I like 'em. Used them on sport trad and bouldering without any great issue. Slight lack of toe power when compared to say Dragons (and I'd guess Instincts, but only just started wearing them so can't really comment) but a good all-rounder I found that would do anything asked of them at least pretty (if not very) well. I certainly didn't notice any problem with smearing, but i wear 'em big. Compared to my usual 5.10's they did initially feel quite clumpy and insensitive but once I'd got used to them they were reassuringly reliable and predictable despite the lack of immediate sensitivity, and I found them to be VERY comfy (as an old man this is important). I guess this lack of feel will be fine/un-noticable for you as you're already on the Scarpa train so will be same old same old. Mine are at the end of their (pretty long considering the abuse dished out) lives and as a die-hard 5.10 fanboi I've got to say I'm gutted! I hope the Instincts I have to replace them (I'm doing the reverse of your footwear journey) are somewhere near as good.

abarro81

• forum hero
#8 Re: Scarpa Vapour Lace
November 19, 2013, 10:22:05 am
For those who've used both the instinct (lace or slipper) and the vapour lace - how did you size comparatively? I'm 42 in instinct slipper, 42.5 in the lace, wondering what's most likely for the vapour..
Cheers

whealiebob

• regular
#9 Re: Scarpa Vapour Lace
November 19, 2013, 01:59:58 pm
I've just bought a pair of Instinct laces cheap from the Depot in the same size as my Vapour laces. They seem quite similar sizes although I think the Instinct is narrower and pointier in the toe box than the Vapour.

For me I wish I'd bought a half size smaller in the Instinct, but I think that's because I've got hobbit feet!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal