UKBouldering.com

Visiting Yorkshire for a few days - advice please (Read 11559 times)

Stewart

• menacing presence
It's ok, just discovered the fairies chest bit on grit.com and spotted karjala as well. Sorted!

Stewart

• menacing presence
Good first day. Persistant rain this morning so took a recce to Ilkley. Cool spot but wasn't too inspired, I'm sure it's good but didn't feel i was missing out too much in the rain. Drove up to Brimham, got lost on the way. Amazing place, bit overwhelming amount of rock! Might go back in the dry.

Rain started to ease off so decided to get to Almscliff. Got lost again. Hugely impressed with the crag once i got there. Did Morrell's wall, got spanked on underhand, got spanked on the keel, flashed dolphin slap thingy, tried demon wall roof - got spanked, tried pebble wall - got spanked. Went back to demon wall and sussed the key bit of beta and managed to wobble my way up last go of the day.

Tempted to go back tmrw now I've checked some more beta vids. But might go for the crookrise trek..can't decide.....

andy_e

• forum hero
Crookrise trek for sure.

If you fancy an evening lamp session, we'll be at Brimham on Thursday evening probably.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
...decided to get to Almscliff. ...got spanked on underhand, got spanked on the keel, ...tried demon wall roof - got spanked, tried pebble wall - got spanked...

Don't worry Stewart, that pretty much sums up my first few years climbing there!

If you get the weather Crookrise is great, Barry Kingsize particularly so. One thing I'd say is that it's a bit big and the landing's not great, but if you're doing DWR in a session I'm assuming you'll be OK.

Rest assured that I am very jealous!

Stewart

• menacing presence
Cheers both, weather looky iffy at crookrise tmrw so will prob leave it till thursday if i've got skin left and might just go back to almscliff  :wub: . Would love to do the evening lantern session Andy but spending time with my missus in the evenings. Don't think she'd be up for it!

tomtom

• forum hero
Don't feel bad about going back to the Cliff... it is superb!

Good effort on DWR, not many visitors who get that in a session..

Si's Arete, Dreamland - both worth a look (7A+'s) and in different places on the crag (wind wise) and easy if on your own (one pad - good landings etc..)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Oh, and if you use the "search the forum" on here for Pebble Wall I'm sure that there is at least one thread which will give you the beta / probably a link to a video as well.

Great problem - lost count of the number of people who can do DWR and then get nowhere on Pebble Wall.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I'm the opposite.

As far as getting beta, there's a good 3G signal up there :)

Caley or Chevin might be worth a quick look, the 'cliff is very close as backup.

Stewart

• menacing presence
Another couple of class days. Tuesday was pretty wet but i went for a look round Caley in the hope of something dry. No such luck, really keen to get back here though - blockbuster and zoo york (stand!) look brilliant.

So..went back to almscliff, pretty wet there too though and did Si's arete which was dry (bit over-rated IMO!) then Steve's wall which has really good moves despite it's lowball nature. Spent a bit of time trying to do it without the pocket out right. Think it would go using the wee micro pocket on the face instead but would be >7B at least. Then realised you didn't have to top out to get the tick on crusis so did that which was nice and dry as well. Really good. Did silver trout (with block) to the jugs on the break but couldn't top out as the top was wet.

Today I went up to crookrise, beautiful day. Straight on Barry K but struggled to commit to the dyno at first. A stiff self talking to and a taps off approach did the trick though, great problem! Did a quick flash of crease direct as a victory dance. At that point it was sunny, warm and calm so i decided to wander along the tree line to look for Karjala. 30 mins later and it was howling a gale and really heavy sleet and i was falling into waste deep holes in the undergrowth - never did find karjala! Went for a look at pixie tits which also looks great but was wet and another heavy shower saw me retreating back to the car park totally soaked.

Sun came out again so nipped back to the cliff for a quick hour and did flying arete (brilliant), pebble wall (first go today, think i was trying to pull too hard on the pebbles last time) and syrett's roof 2nd go (should've flashed but got scared).

Absolutely fantastic day! loving the grit and have a few hours tomorrow for a last hurrah so will be back at the ever reliable cliff.

Cheers for all the suggestions!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
What a great day out. Nice one.

tomtom

• forum hero
Excellent! Cliff never fails :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix